Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QuakeBlast, the new review site for Quake maps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seven View Post
    There was a time when Spirit (you surely know him) even boycotted the DP engine due to these reasons. Fortunately he is a little bit more liberal now
    I'm not!

Darkplaces has the gameplay fixes disable by default nowadays, which is great!
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

People will use whatever engine they prefer to be honest. You could review it in ProQuake and then over half the community would/could play it in DarkPlaces based on your review of it in ProQuake.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Plz dont shoot me for off-topic post, thx <3
        Originally posted by Seven View Post
        Or jump and grenade bounce physics which are different to the original Quake engines.
        Shenanigans! How would a DP client then be able to communicate correctly with a ProQuake server? Are entirely different portions of code being utilized when connected to a server versus playing locally? That seems rather odd.

Same with a connected client trying to use cl_fullpitch 1, on a server with fullpitch disabled, you're quickly jerked back into the maximum allowed YAW position. I would imagine the same would occur if the client was trying to do something that isn't 'kosher' with any ProQuake server whether it being a grenade not bouncing correctly or playermodel jumping more than it should.

Isnt the height your able to jump is dictated by the games gravity, and AFAIK no mods change that variable. CAx might have a slightly different friction setting than other q1 mods.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Hello Mindz,

Please be easy with me.
          I only mentioned the "sv_gameplayfix_" topic. I dont know how they influence the multiplayer world.

I quickly started a multiplayer map "DM6" (in deathmatch mode) and tried one of the "sv_gameplayfix_" cvars:
          sv_gameplayfix_grenadebouncedownslopes is "1" ["1"] prevents MOVETYPE_BOUNCE (grenades) from getting stuck when fired down a downward sloping surface

With enabled cvar the grenade bounced down the slope and continued on the lower floor.
          With disabled cvar the grenade stoped to bounce at once (when it hit the slope).

Just to give you an example of the "sv_gameplayfix_" cvars.
          There are 20 more of them.

I have no idea how DP handles it on a public multiplayer server. As you know, I play single player.

I am sure someone with more knowledge can jump in and explain the affect when playing with different clients on a public server.

Best wishes,
          Seven

Comment

When you play Quake in singleplayer, it kinda runs a server and a client on your machine. The server and client both run in the same engine. You can see that these variables have a sv_ prefix, that is they are for the server part. The server is what determines the game logic. If you join another server, that server determines the game logic. Theoretically Darkplaces bugfixes/oddities are not occuring if you just use it as a client to join another server.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

New review is done: Mfxsp8 by Mfx 8/10

Comment

i tyred that one i did not get too far yet i have been playing the other new map for my babies if you do a vid of that one make show the killing room!

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                  i tyred that one i did not get too far yet i have been playing the other new map for my babies if you do a vid of that one make show the killing room!
                  I understood not a single word of what you said.

Comment

h_g,
                    I think you should clarify as to why you got lost! My problem was doors that barely resemble doors coupled along with "tiny" triggers for the open operation. I literally walked up to a door several time with no message and it never opened. Which had me confused and searching... THEN, the next time I guess I was in the right spot and whala, it opened... time to proceed.

Also the "texture" issue I experienced is explained in the readme re: glass effect, is that the issue you are referring to?

This needs editing in your review:

"Its beautiful, very well designed with lost(changed to "lots") of eye candy... "

and

" ...defeat the few baddies that still stood between me and the exist(changed to "exit").

I'm just trying to help, not trying to come across as a d**k of course.
                    - damage_
                    Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by hardcore_gamer View Post
                      I understood not a single word of what you said.
                      Hehe, I was with you until I found this: "For My Babies"
                      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

EDIT: Ok everybody, a lot has changed in regards to this site.

Because of my real life worries and the fact that my time and effort has been streched thin over large amounts of games (I mod for lots of games other then just Quake) I have decided to make some radical changes to the site.

Instead of only being about Quake or user made content for that game, this site is now about all video games in general (though there is still a special focus on certain games such as Doom and Quake, as well as user made content).

The reason for this is that this will make it MUCH more manageable to actively update the site with new content.

The original goal was to make at least 1 update a month as a minimum, but I wasn't able to do even that as a result of both real life and the fact that I had been busy with so many other games. By making the site about ALL games and modding for them in general, I should have no further problems in this regard however.

In addition, I have upgraded the site to a paid model to make it more like a real website. Though it should be noted that the "webs" part of the name might not actually go away until 24-48 hours have passed. In any case, this is now a real website!

Hopefully, the future of the site is much brighter now.

Also, this of course means that I now accept other peoples Doom mods/wads on my site in addition to the Quake mods

QuakeBlast

(note that in the next 48 hours the site name will simply be www.quakeblast.com)

Comment

Working...
                        X