Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a Quake HD remake?

Greetings,

Just came to my attention that Microsoft Studios will release a HD remake of Age of Empires 2 fully integrated with Steam. Instantly I thought how nice it would be if ID does the same and release a Quake HD remake. So, I would like to know, if ID Software follow this trend and release a Quake HD remake fully integrated with steam, would you buy it? And which improvements would you like to see in such a remake? And finally, considering the enormous amount of modified engines, textures, models and etc, would it be good for the community?
    Last edited by luizera; 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM.

would you buy it?
    No.

First of all because I don't buy ANYTHING off Steam or similar by principle and second because for me playing Quake nowadays has to do with nostalgia a lot and I wouldn't get that out of a HD remake.
    I don't use the "eyecandy" engines either, I don't need that.
    The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

*cough bs* I don't think ANY QUAKE1 FAN would purposely not check out a rehashed version of Q1.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

If the price was right...maybe. Depending on the extent of new features added. For example, anything over 5 bucks for the Doom 3 BFG edition was a ripoff for PC. Minimal new features added and some might argue some features were taken away (breaking existing mods for one). Backwards compatibility would be a must, because the last thing this community would need is a fracturing.
        The thing of it is, most of the hardcore Quake players are smart enough to download a modern client and get mods to make it look more modern anyway.
        Of course a completely modern Quake designed by a big gaming company (id/,Raven, etc.) built from the ground up based on the Cthulhu science fiction nightmare that we know would be grand.

Comment

I may be off on this but as I see it, Quake HD is already available! I play it all the time

So unless they released a simple rehash/money grab game, what could they offer that would still be Quake! That we don't already have.

Now, that perspective is from a "Quake community" train of thought, but let's go more mainstream. You would probably have to change the game so much for a modern day release you wouldn't even recognize it as "original" Quake anymore. And at what price point could you even offer and old remade game with HD content at anyway??? I'm sure Bethesda doesn't want anything to do with the lower end markets!!! Big distributor/publisher salaries get paid by creators creating the "next big thing".

It would have to take someone with a very gifted and artistic vision to pull something like that off "correctly" for me to consider it. So I'll have to say... a definite MAYBE! hehe
          Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

i think i would , to support id if nothing else.
            My Avatars!
            Quake Leagues
            Quake 1.5!!!
            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I think Id would probably release a HD remake of Doom long before doing it for Quake, seeing as Doom is much more famous and it would likely make them more money.

That said, I wonder if making a HD remake of either Doom or Quake in the first place is actually possible at all since the unrealistic level design in both games means that a "modern version" would just look weird. The unrealistic and illogical level design would look really out of place next to realistic weapon and character models. I just fail to see how a modern version/remake of Quake and Doom are possible without making large changes to the game's levels to make them look more modern.

Comment

HD quake? dont we have that already?

im pretty sure my darkplaces setup would very much count as HD seeing all the hd models, textures, effects, rt-lights, animated textures, fancy added effects, new features through smc and everything else i got.

theres only a couple models left that need to be remade.
                so what could ID do to make a HD remake with things we dont have yet, beside remaking those few models?

also@ hardcore gamer
                HD doom i already have too, its called risen3D
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

raven failed with quake V so anything remote to that wouldnt succeed
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I would totally invest into a Q1 revamp supplied by id software. YES SIR needed a poll.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I fully agree to Mindz and DeadTenor:

It is very clear, that if ID themselve would produce a Quake 1 Remake, we would ALL test it.

If ID makes this, they would of course not only throw new models into that old engine and world. And that is the difference to the situation today.

Regarding the replacement content we have today:
                      A summary of work of many awesome individuals, which in the end does not fit together...
                      It is clear that this is not comparable to something that can be done by ID.

It does not make sense to ask "Would you buy a Quake HD remake" in this forum.
                      But the masses out there would buy it at once. That is a nobrainer.

Look at Serious Sam First and Second encounter HD or even look at Doom 3 BFG !
                      The crowd out there BUYs this stuff. They LOVE this stuff.

Even Spirit would by a Quake 1 remake just because it would be missing in his complete archive otherwise

Comment

IT'S NOT MY QUA... oh wait, it's by id.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

id totally check it out though if ID would make a reboot of the first game, like they did with doom3, which was a reboot of doom.

and of course id at least check it out even if they just upgraded the game with better models and such but left the map-design untouched

even if it was just to check out what they did and to support ID
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

or,completely hijack their idea's into Quake1 (cough Q1Edge cough)
                            haha

Comment

It looks like this won't happen anytime soon:

Five Years And Nothing To Show: How Doom 4 Got Off Track

Apparently Zenimax told id to get stuff done "or else", and there was a constant trickling away of talent from the studio.

It seems id already have problems doing Doom 4.

A new game in the style of the original Quake? Seems pretty unrealistic after this.

Two sources told me that earlier this year, frustrated with the lack of progress on Doom 4, ZeniMax came to Id with an ultimatum: make something happen, or else.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X