Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I create my own "end of episode" style text? Also: How do runes work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I create my own "end of episode" style text? Also: How do runes work?

When you beat an episode, you get this sort of a "end of episode" style text that tells you that you have beaten the episode and other things.

How do I create my own end of episode text for my own levels/mods?

Also, how did Id pull of the runes thing with the original Quake? I am talking about the fact that after having beaten an episode you got a run and access to the episode you just defeated got canceled, and once you got all the runes you unlocked the final fight. How did that work also?

theres some variables which are set for wether or not the player has each rune. and the brushes of the map which block out the entrances to the episodes are made to appear or not depending on which varilable is found.

for example. not how the variables are in quake, i dunno what they are named or such, but just an example. its something like this:

Code:
    rune1found 1
    rune2found 0
    rune3found 0
    rune4found 0
    each can be 1 or 0. 0 means not found, 1 means the player found this rune.
    upon loading the start-map, the game engine checks these variables. if it finds one of them is set to 1 it spawns the pieces of the map which makes up the blockade which block the entrance to the episode. if its 0 it doesnt.

if the engine sees all 4 values are set to 1, it wont spawn the part on the floor which blocks the entrance to the portal to shubs pit.

about your custom message when a map or episode gets finished:
    id assume you would have to do this with a custom progs.dat

and you'd have to make a piece of code for this 'event' what itll do in the QC,
    and add an entity which triggers this event in the map if its touched
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
      theres some variables which are set for wether or not the player has each rune. and the brushes of the map which block out the entrances to the episodes are made to appear or not depending on which varilable is found.

for example. not how the variables are in quake, i dunno what they are named or such, but just an example. its something like this:

Code:
      rune1found 1
      rune2found 0
      rune3found 0
      rune4found 0
      each can be 1 or 0. 0 means not found, 1 means the player found this rune.
      upon loading the start-map, the game engine checks these variables. if it finds one of them is set to 1 it spawns the pieces of the map which makes up the blockade which block the entrance to the episode. if its 0 it doesnt.

if the engine sees all 4 values are set to 1, it wont spawn the part on the floor which blocks the entrance to the portal to shubs pit.

about your custom message when a map or episode gets finished:
      id assume you would have to do this with a custom progs.dat

and you'd have to make a piece of code for this 'event' what itll do in the QC,
      and add an entity which triggers this event in the map if its touched
      Interesting. I would like to know more if possible.

Does the stuff you said involve some kind of scripting? In fact, does Quake have scripting in the first place?

Some of the things I see in Quake look like they require scripting, but having messed around with the editor I wonder if they are actually just done with special brushes or triggers. Which is it?

In any case, I would very much like to be able to at least emulate the original game's ability to unlock only the final level after having beaten the earlier episodes, and to be able to create an "ending text" like in the original. If someone knows just how exatly this is done, or where I can learn how to do it, then I am all ears.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but since I am asking for help in regards to mapping I could as well ask: How do I use custom music tracks for my levels?

Comment

yes this involves scripting. quake has its very own scripting language, which is called QC.

what you need to edit QC is nothing more then any text-editor, like notepad, notepad++ or word or such.
        although i recommend notepad++ since it supports custom color for QC functions through a plugin.

also, you will need the quake QC source, which you can find at many places.

check this thread, in which someone else just asked about QC and in which you can find a reply from someone about some things, including where the find quake QC source:
        http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...p/9623-qc.html

anyways, ill leave further reply to some of the other people here on forums which are experts on QC, like nahuel, seven and madgypsy for example. i mself have hardly ever tried working with qc at all. although i kinda know how it works. QC is a quite basic scripting language. 'if this, do this, and then if that or thus, do so or such.'
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT QCTHE clientqc line 172 reads

WriteString (MSG_ALL, "As the corpse of the monstrous entity\nChthon sinks back into the lava whence\nit rose, you grip the Rune of Earth\nMagic tightly. Now that you have\nconquered the Dimension of the Doomed,\nrealm of Earth Magic, you are ready to\ncomplete your task in the other three\nhaunted lands of Quake. Or are you? If\nyou don't register Quake, you'll never\nknow what awaits you in the Realm of\nBlack Magic, the Netherworld, and the\nElder World!");
          }

line 1000 in items.qc reads END OF LEVEL RUNES
          Last edited by JDSTONE; 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

^gj, that's the spot, brah.

\n = new line.

I may be mistaken about this but I believe that all has to be written on one line. Some languages don't allow you to continue strings on new lines. I can't remember if QC does.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
            X