Closed door in the river of the slipgate complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed door in the river of the slipgate complex

Can it be opened from within the level? I've been trying to find a way to open it for way longer than any sane person should have by now.

I just need to know if it can actually be opened from within the level or if it is connected to another level somehow. I don't know if that kind of thing exists in quake, but the message you get by shooting the artwork next to the nightmare portal sort of hints at that kind of complexity. It says something about the well of wishes awaiting in the crypt of decay. I found the secret portal if thats what it meant, but I'm not sure if that was just a hint or a requirement to access the portal.

Anyways, I'd just appreciate if someone could tell me if there is actually something I somehow missed at the slipgate complex or if I can stop looking there. I don't wanna know how to open it though, I'd like to figure that out for myself. I haven't played through the whole game yet, so maybe theres still something jidden up ahead...

You mean the secret door next to the Megahealth? The Crypt of Decay is later in the game, though, and has nothing to do with this door. And the Well of Wishes is accessible whether or not you shoot the (artwork? Isn't it a fire behind skin or something?)...

There's no such thing in Quake as stuff triggered across different levels. Each map is self-contained. You carry your equipment over but that's it.

Nice to see new people still discovering Quake even to this day. Have fun with the best FPS ever!
    Last edited by Mugwump; 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

You mean this door:

The way to open this is on the slipgate complex map.
      numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

@something jidden up ahead

There is...the other side of the door. LOL
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Go to the exit teleporter room. Shoot every wall. It'll open.

Can't be opened from the water side.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Guys, he specifically stated:
            Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
            I don't wanna know how to open it though, I'd like to figure that out for myself.

Comment

He also said
              so maybe theres still something jidden up ahead...
              but there isn't. He has to kill everything (mostly) to open that door. If he was somewhere that there was actually something going on I wouldn't have "spoiled" it. This guy is running around on e1m1 trying to open a useless door....cmon. It's time to go to e1m2. He's like a broken pacman running around a maze with no pellets or ghosts.

Comment

He's a . We've all been there before. I remember my first Doom experience back in '95, I didn't fare much better than he does. He just needs to get used to the game's mechanics and logic. In fact, if I remember correctly, the very first time I played Slipgate Complex, I think it puzzled me too and since there was no automap, I couldn't figure out where the other side was and ended up noclipping through it.
                Last edited by Mugwump; 10-21-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
                  well of wishes awaiting in the crypt of decay
                  The Crypt of Decay is the name of one of the levels.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@BFG

My last post wasn't meant to be negative towards Boris in any way. When I said he is running around trying to open a useless door it was meant as a simple fact, not any form of slander. Imagine if this dude would have spent the next few hours (or worse) trying to get to the other side of that door (not realizing he had actually already been on it many times) and upon finally figuring it out was so pissed at how dumb it is that he just said "fuck quake".

I was just giving him a heads up that it's a complete waste of time so he can move on with the game.

Comment

a good thing

I'd just like to point out that being a newbie is a good thing.
                      Once you understand how it all works, the mystery kind of fades.
                      Those early amazing discoveries are worth a lot. In my book anyway.

If you find some mystery in a new game and you want to solve it, off you go.
                      Yeah, the discovery might be slightly disappointing in the end.

But like some saying goes, its a journey, not a destination.

Back in the day, I finally opened a doom map in doomed. And realized
                      there was literally _nothing_ outside the maps. I was slightly disappointed
                      but I had new respect for the tricks used to make the appearance of "outside".

Heck, most of the mysterious stuff I find in quake these days is when
                      bugs in my code do weird stuff I didnt expect.

Here's another way to look at this...

First there is the single player experience as the developer intended it and players find it.
                      You run around, kill enemies, get keys, get runes, open doors & gates, find secrets and so on.
                      Till you get to shubbers and finish it.

Then you have multiplayer. A whole new way to look at each map with
                      different weapons, items, and movement flow.

After that you can try speedrunning. I find that sort of boring.

And if you want more, what is left?
                      Figuring it all out. Keys, doors, buttons, triggers, gates and runes.
                      The quake-c behind it all. Plus engine operations.
                      Eventually you make your own maps, mods and games.

So, Boris - go figure out how that door works if you want. Have fun!
                      The trick is on that map, and close by.
                      numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Gypsy

Yes, I think I'm getting to know that you're not the slanderer type. It's just that he was very clear about not wanting us to hold his hand and change his diapers. He wants to discover the game by himself and we shouldn't spoil it for him, not even with helping him in mind. I have no idea how he would react but when I finally figured out that door, I didn't think "screw that shitty game", rather "Oh wow, so that's where it leads... but... but it's useless?! Oh well, nevermind." And I moved on to the meat of the matter.

I realize by saying this that I was already a fan of id (and of NIN, The Downward Spiral was and still is one of my favorite albums ever), having played Doom extensively on PlayStation the year prior and seen Quake at a friend's who bought it on day 1. I was floored by what I saw that day and I wouldn't have given up so easily. I have seen since the release of Doom 2016 an arrival of fresh meat to Quake and it wouldn't surprise me that he's one of those guys. Hell, I know it's the first Doom trailer that got me back into Quake hard, as I hadn't played it in a number of years.

Anyway, I got a little carried away here but my point was that I had told him too but then, I read his wish and I subsequently deleted the spoilery part of my post. I think maybe you should do the same.
                        Last edited by Mugwump; 10-21-2016, 11:00 PM.

Comment

@delete

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. Done. It is a useless door though. It has no other purpose but to teach you that shooting walls can reveal secrets. He obviously already knows that. He's also already been on both sides of the door. I hear ya, though. I'll be interested what his reaction is when he figures it out.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-21-2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            Go to the exit teleporter room. Shoot every wall. It'll open.
                            Goddammit. I was sure I shot each and every wall on the whole map at least 3 times by now, but I must have missed that little spot somehow. I'm not gonna be all like "fuck quake" though, just like bfg said. I love games that can make you care about shit like this.

Thanks for the heads up everyone, nice to see this community is still very much alive
                            Last edited by boristhesp1der; 10-22-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Oh we're alive and kicking. Mostly kicking. Haha.

Nice to see some new faces, welcome aboard and enjoy quake. I'm kinda jealous, the game doesn't hold many mysteries to me anymore. But the best thing about quake is when you do master the original game, the amount of quality mods and custom maps is staggering. You'll never run out of entertainment with it.
                              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
                              X