No announcement yet.

Closed door in the river of the slipgate complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But he might be interested in the fix instead of just knowing there's a bug...
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Wow, so many replies!

Already downloaded the fishfix, that bug would probably annoy me beyond reason.

I found Ziggurat Vertigo too, in my opinion easier to find than some of the normal secrets. It always takes me hours to find the last secret on some maps, right now I can't find the 7th friggin one on the Installation...

Ziggurat Vertigo is amazing though, totally unreal atmosphere with the low gravity magma balls flying high above the pyramid. Found The Underneath too, but haven't played it yet. Is there actually a "well of wishes" in the crypt of decay as the weird face-skin-thing next to the nightmare portal was telling me, or is that just referring to the existence of an alternative exit in that level?

Didn't find the Nameless City, but I haven't even finsished Episode 2 yet, so thats probably still to come.

Secrets... gotta catch'em all...

Comment

Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
        Wow, so many replies!
        We all like young blood. It's a proof that the game is still very much alive and not just a relic for us old farts. And I guess it reminds us of what we'll never be able to have again: our first time...

Yeah, I have no idea why Baker thinks Ziggurat Vertigo is so hard to find... It's one of my favorite levels in the whole game. Did you find the pentagram near the start? That's a wicked one!

I don't know which one you miss in The Installation (E2M1), but just in case it's the one I'm thinking about I'll give you a hint that could also help you later on: sometimes there are secrets within secrets. Note that Quakers usually refer to the maps by their number instead of their name, it's shorter and more accurate in case someone doesn't remember exactly which name corresponds to which level.

Yes, there is a well of wishes... it's a "special" secret... it'll make you giggle. You'll understand when you see it.

The Nameless City is in episode IV.
        Last edited by Mugwump; 10-26-2016, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Its pretty hard to miss the pentagram, and since I't was so conveniently placed to the lava I even found the quad damage right underneath the pyramid. Makes killing the two shamblers a lot easier.

I think I found the double secret already. You mean the pentagram you can unlock by shooting the little vent behind you after the went down the drain in the water, right?

Apart from those I've found the red armor, the portal in the sewers, the yellow armor, and the quad damage behind the hidden door.

Comment

So you missed the megahealth. Look closely in the gold key room.

@Ziggurat Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. A little mix-up.

Comment

I knew something was up with the flashing light and the weird bar up there, but I didn't see the stairs. Next time I'm stuck I'll figure it out for myself, I promise...

What do you mean by @Ziggurat?

Also, I noticed something weird at the Ogre Citadel (E2M2). This time I found all 3 secrets, but something leads me to believe that there might be one more than that.

There is a way to bypass the gold door completely. Unfortunately you cant take the gold key to the next level, otherwise I might have thought that there would be a level with a golden door, but not a golden key somewhere in Episode 2.

The bypass is right next to the little elevator that takes you back into the citadel from where the first secret megahealth is located. It is locked at the beginning of the level, but something opens it before you actually use the gold key. At first I thought it was intended to be the way back up if you fell from the huge moving platform right behind the gold door, but since that moves up and down anyways you could still get back up without the bypass.
              Last edited by boristhesp1der; 10-26-2016, 06:51 AM.

Comment

@=about. Yeah I know it means "at" really, it's a little abbreviation that MadGypsy uses and that I've adopted. Like:

@bypass Well, even id Software themselves aren't immune to design flaws. Actually I think it's picking up the key that opens the shortcut.

Comment

Found another weird thing, not a design flaw this time. Found both secrets in the underneath, but there has to be a third one. The same painting is littered throughout the level over and over again, and each one can be shot once to emit blood particles. Shooting it again will only yield regular particles. I think I've hunted down each and every one of them, but hitting all of them didn't seem to do anything. Is this just a dead end, or is there actually something to be found?

I understand you referred to Ziggurat with the @, but I don't understand the context. What did you mean? What little mixup?

Comment

I meant I mixed up the pent with the quad in the lava.

Yeah, so in The Underearth, shooting or axing all the demon faces once does unlock a secret. They're not paintings BTW, they're metal sculptures.

Comment

@underearth secret

It's not counted as a secret, because it is actually an Easter egg of sorts.

I remember I actually figured this one out on my own waaaaaaay back in the day....took me a while.
                      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Note that shooting the faces only unlocks the access to the easter egg. You still have to do something else to open it. Good luck.

Comment

I'm really determined to figure this out myself, even though I'm pretty sure I already know what awaits me in the well of wishes. I remember that level name from Commander Keen 4, and I also remember a big green asshole of a fish from that level...

Been at this for days though, still nothin. No idea what "TC TW" means or what that symbol is supposed to signify. My only idea was that you need to play on nightmare and shoot the face-skin-thing before entering the lava portal, and then play through Episode 2 all the way to the underearth. Didn't work though, still closed. Is the solution really within the level itself?

Comment

Again, the well of wishes is in The Crypt of Decay, not in The Underearth. Apparently, you've already found the easter egg in the latter: TC TW stand for Tim Willits and his sister Theresa Chasar and the "raven" symbol refers to the Raven series of Doom 2 maps the pair released in '95.

Comment

@boris

Every level in Quake is self contained. So, for example, you cannot press a switch in one level, and have it open a door in another level. The game code does not support this. Everything within a level, is accessed within that same level.

The Well of Wishes is in the Crypt of Decay. Everything you need to do to find it is located within the Crypt of Decay, and nowhere else. The 'face-skin-thing' in the Nightmare portal hall is merely a hint letting you know you should be on the lookout in the crypt of decay (E2M3...like bfg said before, you'll want to learn the map names and not the entire names, it's a lot quicker to write out and everyone does it).
                              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

boristhesp1der: The secret message stating that "The Well of Wishes awaits in The Crypt of Decay" is because up to the latest beta versions of the game, there was a secret "Well of Wishes" room in the start map itself.

In the released versions of the game, the Well of Wishes was removed from the start map and placed in the Crypt of Decay.
                                Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                                ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                                Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X