Closed door in the river of the slipgate complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mankrip View Post
    boristhesp1der: The secret message stating that "The Well of Wishes awaits in The Crypt of Decay" is because up to the latest beta versions of the game, there was a secret "Well of Wishes" room in the start map itself.

In the released versions of the game, the Well of Wishes was removed from the start map and placed in the Crypt of Decay.
    After 20 years of Quaking, I'm still learning something new everyday!

Well, 18 years I guess. I was a little late to the scene.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@it's a little abbreviation that MadGypsy uses

I don't like quote boxes. I never really considered it to alternatively mean "about". I actually considered it more like "attribute" as used in e4x (ecma script for xml)

overall.@yourProblem = my solution

but broken down into humanSpeak it becomes

@your problem

my solution

If I remember correctly, one/some of the social media networks use @ in a similar fashion to how I use it but, I was using it like a decade before they existed. They stole my thing and I want my fucking money!

lol

-----
      random: Why use @ at all for attributes

cause
      <someElement attribute="value">
      <inner>someOtherValue</inner>
      </someElement>

someElement.inner === "someOtherValue"
      someElement.attribute === ERROR child node "attribute" does not exist
      someElement.@attribute === "value"

in other words, there has to be some way to determine children from attributes

You may ask "Why use the dot at all then?"

I have to guess here but, I'd be willing to bet this is a pretty good one. I can think of no language that uses @ as an operator but damn near all scripting languages use (or can use) dot to denote a property. In this case both attribute and inner are technically properties of someElement. They are just formatted differently. If we used someElement@attribute it is not at all clear that attribute is a property of someElement but, by using someElement.@attribute we can derive that attribute is definitely a property and @ must be some modifier or filter of that property.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-16-2016, 10:38 AM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
        Can it be opened from within the level? I've been trying to find a way to open it for way longer than any sane person should have by now.

Awww, to be young and in-love.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Lol. The beauty of quake secrets is that they all have some sort of clue. I remember trying to find every secret in Duke Nukem and finally gave up. Running around shooting or 'using' every wall is boring as all hell.

Comment

Yeah, Duke's secrets are a bitch! Though TBH, some of Quake's have remained a headscratcher to me for a long time.

BTW, it's been a while since we've heard about our pal Boris here. I hope he's not going nuts still running around trying to figure the well of wishes out...
            ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
            ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
              Lol. The beauty of quake secrets is that they all have some sort of clue. I remember trying to find every secret in Duke Nukem and finally gave up. Running around shooting or 'using' every wall is boring as all hell.
              hehehe did you play hexen 2???
              the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Lol no I haven't...are the secrets like duke?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  Lol no I haven't...are the secrets like duke?
                  Apparently the core of the gameplay is based on hitting walls to know where the hidden mechanism is. Then you go into another room, to keep hitting walls.
                  the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

LOL! Doesn't sound much like my style! But there are some cool monsters in hexen, I'll give them that. I only know because of Arcane Dimensions and the drake mod. The yakman is pretty cool.

Comment

I haven't played Hexen 2 in ages but if it really was like Nahuel said, I wouldn't have such fond memories of it. Yes, it's more puzzly than Quake, but nothing like his description as far as I can remember.
                      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Yep, Hexen2 is different to what Nahuel described.
                        Particularly the Hexen2 mission pack!

Original Hexen2 game had its moments where you need to find places where things are digged, Yes. But that completely changed in the mission pack.

You do not need to play original Hexen2 before playing the mission pack. So you should directly start with the mission pack. And if you liked it you can play original Hexen2 afterwards.

Hexen2 monsters are used in many other Quake mods as well. Just look around and you will find around a dozen mods.

Comment

hexen2.... is a looot of running around trying to find out wtf you're supposed to do...

you find a mystery object and then you run around trying to figure out wtf you're supposed to do with it,
                          and once you do 9 out of 10 times a door opens in another random area and
                          you run around for another half hour trying to find out wtf the item you used opened

....and then you find the next mystery object and it begins all over

or you know you have to find some specific item but find yourself running around for 2 hours trying to find out where the hell the item could be hidden

i personally never played hexen2 out cuz it was to much running around and getting stuck all the time cuz of to much cryptic stuff...
                          which tends to get boring after a while, if you find yourself aimlessly running around for several hours trying to figure out where the hell you're supposed to go

i did get quite far but i just got completely stuck at the egyptian level.
                          i need to find one more of those urns and i know there is something i need to do with those massive dials on the floor
                          but i tried every flipping combination and just couldnt figure out wtf the one magic combination is
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                          X