Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Beyond Belief is awesome. It was the FIRST Mod I've ever played. My dad downloaded and installed it for me when I was like 8 or something.

Comment

Sajt, yes that is how Zerstorer ends.

One of its last maps is the best, I believe it is called True Love at Last and has the sanguinarian or whatnot.... I need to replay that...

Yes Beyond Belief is excellent, as Matt Sefton said in his review when it came out, this could have replaced episode 1 and he would not have minded. It is definitely Romero, and yes I have noticed the great attention to detail he payed with the ceilings and liquids... It is wonderful and it still inspires me in level design to this day - However none of the editors do.
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

That was one of the coolest things about Quake. If you ever look up, you're in for a treat, because almost every ceiling in Quake, even in the boring little rooms, was really cool and unique.

Comment

Im posting this again in this sticky thread:

As you can see i have attempted to collect in an easy format for reference and download, all the classic Q1SP maps/episodes.

the two main pages you should look are:

my "hall of Fame" page (all time best)
          http://www.planetquake.com/underworld/qclassics.html

in addition, my "q1sp recommended maps page"
          http://www.planetquake.com/underworl...commended.html

these two page contain all the best SP maps since 1996 voted for by players or picked by me.

lastly, all new maps from when my site opened for reviews, (nov 2002), are here:
          http://www.planetquake.com/underworld/quakereviews.html

Comment

My favourite map is Tur Torment from Scourge of Armagon. Amazing huge map with the Hammer at the top, very cool. That entire mission pack is probably the best expansion I've ever played

Comment

I must admit I was really struck down by the Beyond believe of Mathias Worch, it triggered a creativity in me to even try to make something in Quake.

But going back al the way the first maps I got before acces on the net was the "liquid Despair" map of Steve Rescoe that gave me a complete new vieuw on Quake mapping.

Then I got myself the Mission Packs, and then I knew there was no return.
              In Scorn Of Armagon there was a map called "The Crypt" that gave me a sense of height I could hardly believe. Also "Limbo" made a deep impression on me. Surely one of the best packs they made!

But also Dissolution of Eternity had its messure. Crazy to see one of the Gremlins getting caught of my gun, and I stood empty handed. Wow, it took quit some time before I had overcome that one. But also the dragon at the end gave me a very good match, and I was glad finnaly to find this monster on my path. I'm still searching to make it fit in a conversion.

I have the feeling it is rather hard to make a result in the good better best
              conclusion of a quake map, there are so many maps I still haven't played.
              Actually I have never understood why they made a Quake2, they might have going on making mission paks for ever, but at least that's a thing I saw the Quake fans doing since then by making all these maps for private pleasure!

Comment

There are certainly enough quality singleplayer maps out there to make several good addon packs, but yes, Steve Rescoe and Matthias Worch really set a high water mark early on and their creations fueled a lot of my imagination with Quake.

BTW, Scourge of Armagon, and the gremlins are in that, not Dissolution of Eternity =)

Though I will say that the dragon is better than Armagon himself.

You should check out maps by than, metlslime, Vondur, czg, hrimfaxi, and basically any of the other regulars at celephais.net in func_msgboard.

Oh and btw, your post makes me want to go home and map right now... Must wait until after finals before I try jumping into the fray.... At the least Im gonna go replay the mission packs and Beyond Belief =)

Also check out Prodigy XL by Dario Casali and Mexx8 the Penumbra of Domination by Marcus Dromowicz.
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

My two favourite map pack/episodes are Insomnia and Rapture. Amazing work, even those cheesy little stories were cool. Only problem was Insomnia had a lame ending (no climax) and a couple of the levels in Rapture were a bit weak, but otherwise amazing.

Comment

You already named my favorites. Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity, Beyond Belief, Zerstorer, Nehahra...

Madfox, agreed, id could have kept releasing mission packs, like The Sims does with it's expansion packs.

Comment

No one has mentioned Soul of Evil! There is an interesting arena mode where you fight 100 monsters in the dm levels. Very good AI on dragons. If looked at the qc code for them, it goes on and on... And, you can get one as a pet to fight along with you.

Comment

I vote for SOE

Comment

with soooooo many to choose from, i dont know.

btw i just found a quake cd you all might be interested in

pc zone xmas 1997 quake cd....."complete quake conversions cd"

30 conversions and over 500 levels

includes malice,borg quake,fantasy quake, etc etc classic
                          amd 3200 2.2ghz
                          2Gb corsair ddr400
                          nvidia 6200 256Mb
                          audigy 2 zs
                          vista ultimate
                          and not a bean to my name

Comment

Recently I've played Prodigy Special Edition by Dario Casali... before, my knowledge about his mapping is the awesome Plutonia for Doom2 and some others maps for the same game... but he is the same great mapper for Quake than for my other favorite game
                            I know why Valve have choosed him for some work on Half Life now...

Dario aside, I like Contract Revoked and Lost Chapters : nice Lovecraft inspiration, a continuation of the id's hallucination in the original Quake

And of course, Coagula Contest 1 and 2 are a mention : maps who float in the void are still sweet

Comment

Tronyn has compiled 4 Top 10 Lists of his favorite Q1SP Maps, split by four themes: Base, Medieval, Runic, Elder World.

I will be publishing 1 top 10 list each day of Quake Expo: so the first Top 10 Ranking is posted today.

Quake Expo 2008 Articles by Tronyn

Day 1 Article: Top 10 Base Maps. 08/15/2008.

http://underworld.planetquake.gamesp...qexpo08a1.html

My site Homepage:

http://underworld.planetquake.gamespy.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by underworldfan View Post
                                Tronyn has compiled 4 Top 10 Lists of his favorite Q1SP Maps, split by four themes: Base, Medieval, Runic, Elder World.

I will be publishing 1 top 10 list each day of Quake Expo: so the first Top 10 Ranking is posted today.

Quake Expo 2008 Articles by Tronyn

Day 1 Article: Top 10 Base Maps. 08/15/2008.

http://underworld.planetquake.gamesp...qexpo08a1.html
                                Wow, UF. Tronyn's top 10 base map list is very well thought out. He didn't forget very early releases and remembered Mission Pack 1's great underground areas.
                                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                                X