Underworld Site: All maps now at FilePlanet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underworld Site: All maps now at FilePlanet

Underworldfan has updated his single player review site at http://underworld.planetquake.gamespy.com/ and hosted ALL maps that are not available at gamers.org at FilePlanet.

It isn't just the 50+ maps in the Hall of Fame, apparently EVERY map even in the recommended section has been mirrored at FilePlanet.

Here is the significance of this: Quake is about 10 years old and it is rather frequent that an external link goes dead. And like every site, the Underworld site had this happen with great frequency where a link from 6 months ago would sudden not work for one reason or another.

As a result, every map at the Underworld reviews site should be permanently available.

It must have been a lot of work because he did this with a TON of maps!
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Fileplanet sucks so bad.
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

But it's better than nothing...
      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Spirit: I agree. If you have time, find out if it has any maps you're missing. Then we can split up and download the remaining maps. We might mean you and me (or just me) but I'll donate some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
          Fileplanet sucks so bad.
          Spirit, i know you run quaddicted.com but thats really not a helpful comment or atitude, in my opnion.

The facts are these:

You register once with fleplanet (which takes about 3 minutes).

Then, the simple fact is i can click on any link on my site and download any map in about 30 seconds. Very rarely are there any queues. Fileplanet has been a permanent, reliable and fast hosting network for at least 6-7 years.

Theres no need to be rude about about a system which works so well in supporting quake 1 (which is all I i care about), or about the work people (including myself) put into producing such a system.
          Last edited by underworldfan; 08-28-2006, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Efforts to preserve the work of the Quake community should have redundancy, and shouldn't be perceived as competing. Megazoid made a great comment on Func_Msgboard about that.

In my community of origin, we lost 2 web sites that had an irreplaceable stash of stuff and I can think of several other similar examples.

Something that may or may not have been noticed, Megazoid mirrored almost all downloads from off-site resources on Quake Terminus to ensure the downloads are always available and to ensure that he does not have to fix broken links ---- and it was a good thing! --- the ThreeWave's CTF site, for instance, was overhauled recently wiping out all Quake 1 content and documentation!

I personally believe the Megazoid model of mirroring all off-site downloads is a good model to follow for every site operator.
            Last edited by Baker; 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Efforts to preserve the work of the Quake community should have redundancy, and shouldn't be perceived as competing.
              I agree completely!

well i am quite happy with BOTH fileplanet and Quaddicted.com existing happily side by side, so I agree with you Baker.

I think both types of hosting have their strengths and weaknesses, i guess is all i am really saying.

Comment

I did not meant to be rude in a "bad" way! It's just that I dislike those "first register, then click here, then here, oh there is a queue, now wait 30 minutes" sites. It is awesome to have all the maps available indeed!!! And fileplanet is a good host in regards of consisty(?) for sure. There are old files that were nowhere else in the web.
                Probably Fileplanet is the best choice as "safe host", it's not a user-friendly host though.

Comment

Consistency
                  16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                  16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

i signed up for an account when i very first wanted to play Unreal online back in the day (not tournament) , and Ive used the same account ever since. I guess when your too damn lazy to sign up in the first place it can be annoying,but biting the stick and just getting it over with solves the problem all together. Fileplanet has has always been a great service,and a good rule of thumb for Fileplanet has always been , if your downloading large file(s) , you'll have to wait in line,if your downloading something under say, 20mb, you rarely ever have to wait. Although ive not had any reason's to even use Fileplanet in the last year or so,I always find a source for what im looking for elsewhere.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The biggest problem with Fileplanet and all other sites like it are not the queues. I could care less if my download starts in 0.3 seconds or 3 days.

The problem is that you must be there to click download when it is available AND you cannot recursively request files. If I want one directory with 100 files, I have to open 100 requests and be there to start each one. That's a real hassle.

The queues are not there to limit their bandwidth. There are better and less annoying ways to do that. Queues are in place to annoy you enough to buy an account. Fat chance of that when they will still make me click every file rather than giving me recursive downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by kbdrate View Post
                        The biggest problem with Fileplanet and all other sites like it are not the queues. I could care less if my download starts in 0.3 seconds or 3 days.

The problem is that you must be there to click download when it is available AND you cannot recursively request files. If I want one directory with 100 files, I have to open 100 requests and be there to start each one. That's a real hassle.
                        Well, that's why they're (<-- for Bank ) is Spirit's archive.

Comment

Their (heh) is another archive I want to download completely and check for files I am missing. Seems like there are many "lost" files. Similar stupid "queue" stuff...
                          https://www.mbnet.fi/Apaja/alueet/ti...ntID=&faid=309
                          I think I'll just mail them about getting better access, maybe they are nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                            Their (heh) is another archive I want to download completely and check for files I am missing. Seems like there are many "lost" files. Similar stupid "queue" stuff...
                            https://www.mbnet.fi/Apaja/alueet/ti...ntID=&faid=309
                            I think I'll just mail them about getting better access, maybe they are nice.
                            If that doesn't work, let us know so we can distribute the work. I think the archiving you do is great.

Comment

hm, maybe this one works: https://www.mbnet.fi/Apaja/alueet/li...ID=85&faid=309

Comment

Working...
                              X