Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwell

Link to mod: https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3961

Has anybody checked it out yet? According to its description, it's going to be quite ambitious. New monsters, new weapons, new music, interesting locations, 4 episodes (eventually)... This thing came out of nowhere. Is this the new Travail we have all been waiting for?
    Last edited by NightFright; 10-07-2020, 09:44 AM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Hi NF
    Unfortuately the only link I could find for "Dwell Game" was initially some retro 2D scroller. Do you have a link to the version you are referring to by any chance? Many thanks

Edit: Is this it? If so then I have to say the mappers have really raised the bar again. I played a number of maps this evening and they were excellent. Really well balanced gameplay with the architecture and visuals on another level.
    Well done to all involved

The Team...
    Fairweather - Project Lead, Level Design
    Alekswithak - Lead Composer
    Khreathor - QuakeC, 3D Models
    Danz - 3D Models, Sounds, Textures
    Markie Music - Level Design, Sounds, Music, Textures
    JCR - Level Design, Sounds
    Greenwood - Level Design, Textures
    Maksim "VoidForce" Maksimov - Level Design, Textures
    Henry "h4724" Ambrose - Level Design
    PoolboyQ - Level Design
    Pinchy - Level Design
    Mazu - Level Design

Kind regards
    Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 10-04-2020, 03:35 PM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I should have added the link, sorry. Fixed that now.

So far I have only played the first level on easy, but it's already... well, NOT easy. The first thing you see is a spawn while you still only have the standard shotty. Others have played further on normal and claim boss fights are quite hard. Need to see for myself.

At least level detail seems to be really sophisticated and professsional. Apparently there is a high amount of quality control and the team seems eager to deliver a product that feels like a true successor to the original campaign(s).
      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hi NF
        I've now had the opporunity to play it through (on normal skill) and in some places it was pretty tough. Maybe its just me and more skilled players like JCR would just steam through it but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Some maps were more enjoyable than others but it was engaging throughout IMHO, and it brought a fresh perspective on some of the map themes (especially egyption) raising the bar significantly.

I've rambled on enough, don't waste any more time reading this, go and play it, have fun and maybe show a little appreciation to the team

Kind regards
        Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 10-08-2020, 04:04 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

A second patch has been recently released, so it's maybe better that I waited. Will play on easy the first time, anyway. Hope it gives me time to check out the architecture more. XD Secrets seem to be hard to find. Didn't get a single one in the first level.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
            ...XD Secrets seem to be hard to find. Didn't get a single one in the first level.
            I know what you mean, I could only find one out the alledged five (inside one of the crates), couldn't open the room to the LG, and couldn't open the "Terminal Operated" door. Thankfully, the last hoard area was quite good and the maps get better as you progress.
            Kind regards
            Monty
            Mr.Burns

Comment

My review (copied from Func_Msgboard):

Pro:
              + Level design is amazing. Best Egyptian architecture I have seen in Quake since a while
              + Items are (often) respawning, so you shouldn't run out of ammo/powerups
              + Copper changes blend in just fine
              + Secret level lives up to expectations (if you find it)
              + Impressive boss battle

Con:
              - Very hard, even on Easy (think Plutonia)
              - Later levels are complex and difficult to navigate --> you can get physically exhausted (D1M7-D1M9 are for masochists)
              - It's often dark, making it challenging to play during daytime
              - Secrets are hard to find (e.g. secret exit)

So bottom line: The first 3 or 4 maps were just a delight (D1M2 especially - beautiful lighting, reminded me of Serious Sam), then it got too hard for me, not just regarding monster amounts/placement, but also level complexity. I prefer smaller maps, but I guess this episode isn't meant to be played in one sitting. Eventually you reach a point when you just want to get things over with - that's the time to take a break. I am definitely digging the Egyptian setting which is well executed and blends in with the early Rogue maps from DoE, just much nicer and longer. Also I didn't have any crashes with QSS.

It's still absolutely worth playing this, however I would have wished for more lenient/forgiving gameplay on the lower difficulties.

BTW, small hint: The exit to the secret level is located in D1M4. You will need some extra golden scarab key for it (which is easier to find, but hard to get).
              Last edited by NightFright; 10-16-2020, 08:07 AM.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
              X