X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download: Game-A-Tron Alpha

Game-A-Tron Alpha

Download: Gameatron Alpha Setup - 3.3 MB

It downloads, installs and runs and otherwise lets you run various single player creations with ease with any of the prevalent modern engines.

Click something you don't have and it downloads it, installs the contents where ever they go (usually to it's own subfolder) and then you can run it.

Info on what doesn't work for this ALPHA

1. Don't bother with trying to run A Desert Dusk, Masque of the Red Death, Warpspasm or X-Men yet. Everything else should run. There are outstanding issues for each of those mods, most are easy to address.

2. Only select Enhanced GLQuake, the engine selector does not function yet.

Enhanced GLQuake and Enhanced WinQuake 1.33 come with this.

Originally posted by Boring notes and such
    What doesn't work

1. It doesn't save settings, does not allow engine selection and a small handful of mostly minor little changes that need to be made.

2. There are some other small things I am considering, like some sort of discreet method to select a skill level for mods without a native skill level selection ability and/or restrict engine selection for mods that simply have less engines that are truly practical for running them. Other small things.

FAQ?

Q. Why do the downloads seem a little slow at times?

A. It's the particular file host that is a little slow, it doesn't have anything to do with the Gameatron. The file host is not on the speedy QuakeOne.com server, but on the server where much of the files in the download section here are stored (quake-1.com). That server is inexpensive with huge bandwidth limits, but the downstream seems to be only about 30% or 50% as fast.

There are other options for that, but I don't want to be usurping other's bandwidth without their permission and this needs to be complete before I worry about other things.

Other than that, I had to temporarily disable/remove some features that basically no one knows about anyway just to find a good stopping point.
    If you are interested in helping test this out and providing feedback, give it a try. Most of it works very well.

Note: There is a mute button ...

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Ok, during the installation process it automatically assumes my Quake folder is installed in "E:\quake" E: being my Windows harddrive and C:\ being my storage, while in fact my Quake directory is "C:\quake".

Maybe make it do a search for folders called Quake so a newbie wouldn't have this issue E:\quake points to a non-existing folder heh.

*update the sounds scared the hell out of me! haha

I was thinkin I was going to hear some Quake 1 sound tracks so i turned my headphones up and click something "ROOOAAAAR!!" AAAH!!

I'm not tryn to tell anybody whats cool or whatever but I liked the sound of the Quake 3 Arena menu as you clicked through it, not to annoying not to quiet Save the monster ROAR till they hit "Launch" hehe ;P

*Another update It feels like the red and black download box that shows up when you click "download" shouldn't be dragable

*Update

Please add the size of the mods next to their picture or some where obvious in the "gameinfo" section

*Reminder
    Server browser
    Last edited by Phenom; 09-17-2007, 10:15 AM.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      Ok, during the installation process it automatically assumes my Quake folder is installed in "E:\quake" E: being my Windows harddrive and C:\ being my storage, while in fact my Quake directory is "C:\quake".

Maybe make it do a search for folders called Quake so a newbie wouldn't have this issue E:\quake points to a non-existing folder heh.

*update the sounds scared the hell out of me! haha

I was thinkin I was going to hear some Quake 1 sound tracks so i turned my headphones up and click something "ROOOAAAAR!!" AAAH!!

I'm not tryn to tell anybody whats cool or whatever but I liked the sound of the Quake 3 Arena menu as you clicked through it, not to annoying not to quiet Save the monster ROAR till they hit "Launch" hehe ;P

*Another update It feels like the red and black download box that shows up when you click "download" shouldn't be dragable

*Update

Please add the size of the mods next to their picture or some where obvious in the "gameinfo" section

*Reminder
      Server browser
      I'll check on these. Yes, I need to determine what to do with the sound and the size of the downloads do need to be indicated (I've realized this).
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Great !
        I can't wait to try this out!
        Downloading...

Comment

It needs a little finesse, but it looks like the most important things that I needed to test are fine.

Comment

OK, just run it for the first time.

I must say I love it! The interface looks gorgeous!
            And the moddb, it is easy to edit and expand! Though I still need to have a look to see if it can allow the mod to be in a sub-folder.

Baker, do you mind adding a feature that user can specify the prefered engine for a particular mod? Currently the engine selection is a global setting.

Last edited by Dooomer; 09-17-2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

OK, the mod can be made to run in a sub-folder, but the thumbnail will no longer be able to show.

The matter is, it seems that the thumbnail's file name (eg czg07.png) must be the same as the folder name of the mod, so, when I place czg07 in spmod, like "c:\quake\spmod\czg07", Game-A-Tron will require the corresponding thumbnail's file name be "spmod\czg07.png", and such a file name is impossible under windows.

Baker, I know this is not the way Game-A-Tron is supposed to be used, but, in the formal release, would you consider modify this behavior of Game-A-Tron?

Comment

I'm glad you like this.

Originally posted by Dooomer View Post
                And the moddb, it is easy to edit and expand!
                I just want to let you know, that file is a temporary measure for me to quickly refine my testing.

The final version will not be using that file, but individual definition template files.

Baker, do you mind adding a feature that user can specify the prefered engine for a particular mod? Currently the engine selection is a global setting.
                I'm thinking about how to handle this and other convenient things like this.

Comment

Download feature is not working for me. I tried to download 3 or 4 mods that I don't have, and at the end of every download (around 99% or so), it gives me a "download corrupt" message. Is it because of my Internet connection or the server or something else?

Comment

I'll check into that, it should be easy enough to fix. I have it validate the downloaded file when it's done, maybe a few extra bytes or something are getting appended to the file stream somehow and then when it checks the file it doesn't match the expected results.

Comment

Hi Baker, when can we expect to see the beta version if there is? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Baker, when can we expect to see the beta version if there is? Thanks.
                        Not really sure.

I think this is a worthy project. But I have a lot of other stuff going on too.

Comment

This definitely is a worthy project!

I guess I wouldn't be using it much personally, but this is going to be a big improvement in newbie-friendliness, and would be a great help in promoting quake among a new generation of PC gamers.

Guess we have to wait patiently for a while, then. Take your time, man, and please don't feel being rushed. We all hope to see it come out as good as everyone wished.

Comment

anyone have a copy of this? or a mirror of this quake-1.com?

Comment

Working...
                            X