czg03 - Ceremonial Circles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• czg03 - Ceremonial Circles

Downloaded and played this yesterday because I wanted to try some of the good older maps.

Let's just say I'm still trying to recover from the spanking.

He says in the readme that those are some pretty hard fights and that he hacked this map together while in the army or something. And that track 5 of the soundtrack was the inspiration.

The monster placement in this map is crazy. It has all those little bridges and platforms and there's an ogre (or two) on each of them. And they are placed so they hit you with deadly precision. Just at the right distance. Very brutal, I've never seen that kind of exact placement.

It's been a while that a Fiend ambush managed to scare me, but this one did. I just ran right into the bastard.

Using the e1m3/e1m4 textures, this map isn't about looks, that's for sure. It's about ass-kicking and that's what it does. Anyone loving the hardcore combat of the ID maps owes it to himself to play this map. It's drastic. Prepare to die a sorry, pointless death very soon. I did.

The fights are all set up in a good way. I often found myself thinking "Wow, this fight is fun." Some are pretty challenging, like when Scrags appear right above you in a tight spot (you can't aim straight up, but they can aim straight down!) and you get bombarded by Ogres at the same time. I also like the spot where you have to climb out of the water in front of two ogres who really want to prevent that.

There weren't too many Vores and Shamblers here (for such a large map), not even many Fiends. And they're all well placed, there's always some cover. Practically no horde battles, although you'll see some Knights/Death Knights but only small groups. No multi-fiend battles etc.

It's so meat-and-potatoes kind of stuff but pulled off so well.

166 monsters, some nice secrets, top map.

czg03
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

I just played this map on Hard I thought it was easy for a hard skill map, but it was fun nonetheless. genius layout, interweaves very nicely. I liked fighting on top of the bloodstained ceremonial circle, hehe.

Comment

Play

CZG's Terra Thing, and everything else he's ever made for Quake to see more of the same.

One of my favourite mappers.

Comment

Yeah- Terra is among my favourites, except for the base maps. The grotto map from terra is also good.

Don't like Insomnia that much, but I'm weird that way.

Hard or not: Well I play without quicksaving, so different maps might be hard for us. I just liked the constant struggle, the well-used monsters (with a few exceptions) but overall you're right it's always fair and there are enough Quads.

I found watching the nightmare 100% from SDA was fun.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I've played this map 5 or 6 times (it's part of the Undergate).

It's so meat-and-potatoes kind of stuff but pulled off so well.
          That's a very good description of this map.

Really, in a way maps that do what they are supposed to do don't seem particularly exceptional but should be considered that way. This is one of the few maps to me that seems replayable.

I like the murky castley maps and this one managed to provide a good number of monsters without "overdoing it".

There are so many gimmicky maps and bad maps out there, sometimes the good ones seem to fade into the background.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

There are so many gimmicky maps and bad maps out there, sometimes the good ones seem to fade into the background.
            that's why I posted this. I feel the same way.

Maps like this should get their little sacred shrine, far far away from the shopping malls.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
            X