Silver Key on E4M4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Key on E4M4?

How do you get the silver key to appear on E4M4?

I don't recall ever having this problem, but I am entirely out of ideas. It just isn't there, what do I need to do to cause it to appear?
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Not sure, but I think there's a glitch with Proquake (I'm assuming.. I don't know what else is causing it) where the key in E3M2 doesn't fall down the trap when it should, making the whole level useless.

Comment

The silver key is just sitting there, near the pool, where the hard to reach teleport to the exit is located. To get to it, you need to start the sliding bridge-thing by a button on the opposite side of that area.

Comment

I've loaded up FitzQuake, Enhanced GLQuake, JoeQuake and even other engines and the E4M4 key just isn't there.

Maybe whatever progs is in my pak0.pak or pak1.pak is the issue.

This bugs me.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolv View Post
          Not sure, but I think there's a glitch with Proquake (I'm assuming.. I don't know what else is causing it) where the key in E3M2 doesn't fall down the trap when it should, making the whole level useless.
          Btw ... although I can't be 100000% sure, I'm rather confident it isn't a ProQuake bug.

I think it is something WORSE.

I think Quake's physics are getting altered on faster machines. More frames per second actually changes Quake's physics --- maybe even with the standard frame rate of 72 fps.

I'm wondering if those areas in the stock id1 maps might be unusually physics sensitive.

Case in point, I can load up E4M8 on skill 1 and have zombies stuck in the ceiling in FitzQuake 0.85 and then I hit "print screen" and then they drop to the floor (print screen in a GL engine does a "download" from the graphics card which takes a few milliseconds ... temporarily altering Quake's physics momentarily since the physics are frame rate dependent.)

Comment

Wonderful ... on my Mac the key is there in ProQuake on E4M4.

ProQuake Windows and Mac use the exact same code base except the menus, keys and video.

Definitely something to investigate. Could be a silly as a floating point optimization. Things like this are disturbing.

Comment

Looks like some alternate progs.dat I had in a pak file (Lunaran red and blue enforcers from lunsp1).

All is well.

However, resolving this issue does mean something. Within the next 72 hours, I have a new engine release.

ProQuake again? Well, for sure I have a new version of ProQuake as I always do. But that isn't what I'm talking about.

It is time to obsolete 2 great engines that are no longer developed with a bigger, badder, better engine with all the advantages of said engines but with all the strengths of ProQuake plus the usual MH-powered advantages that ProQuake has gained.

(And I've tested said engine in multiplayer and blasted other players to smithereens, so yes this is an all-purpose engine you could use instead of ProQuake ...)

Comment

Think there maybe some oddities with keys in general in the last episode, E4M5 has a key which remains in deathmatch mode IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  I think Quake's physics are getting altered on faster machines. More frames per second actually changes Quake's physics --- maybe even with the standard frame rate of 72 fps.
                  I doubt it. I've played Quake on various computers... K6-II at 400MHz, 2GHz Celeron, then a 2.8GHz P4, 3GHz p4, Athlon64 x2 5200+, Athlon64 x2 7750, and my current Athlon II x2 240. I havn't noticed any changes in the behavior of the game.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                    I doubt it. I've played Quake on various computers... K6-II at 400MHz, 2GHz Celeron, then a 2.8GHz P4, 3GHz p4, Athlon64 x2 5200+, Athlon64 x2 7750, and my current Athlon II x2 240. I havn't noticed any changes in the behavior of the game.
                    From a coding perspective I have to agree with Baker, newer machines these days (I also have an Athlon x2 240) will theoretically process alot of the routines in Quake with relative ease compaired to the systems which Quake was designed around at the time.

Example:

You have Function A, which calls function B and C one after another, on a 3/486 you would probably end up with function B running slightly (nano seconds) before function C.

I don't think it would be un-reasonable to assume that modern day machines couldn't manage to call them both at the same time, which could yield different results depending on what both functions do.

Certainly food for thought.

Comment

pretty sure bunny-hopping and trickjumping in general is influenced by FPS.

So is getting out of the water when the edge is higher than 16 units.

So yeah, the physics change.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Btw ... although I can't be 100000% sure, I'm rather confident it isn't a ProQuake bug.

I think it is something WORSE.

I'm wondering if those areas in the stock id1 maps might be unusually physics sensitive.

Case in point, I can load up E4M8 on skill 1 and have zombies stuck in the ceiling in FitzQuake 0.85 and then I hit "print screen" and then they drop to the floor (print screen in a GL engine does a "download" from the graphics card which takes a few milliseconds ... temporarily altering Quake's physics momentarily since the physics are frame rate dependent.)
                        Ah, you're right. I changed the pq_maxfps to 60 and the key drops just fine.

Comment

Thinking back, I'm more than certain IEEE and myself stumbled across something similar years ago. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure it was more level related than progs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolv View Post
                            Ah, you're right. I changed the pq_maxfps to 60 and the key drops just fine.
                            72 is the standard fps in Quake, just FYI. Weird things can happen at, say, 300 fps with killer lifts in some custom maps.

Likewise you have the "studdering" lifts and edge friction oddness on say e1m1 where you can get stuck on nothing and have to jump or back up to walk across a "crack".

Originally posted by blw435 View Post
                            Thinking back, I'm more than certain IEEE and myself stumbled across something similar years ago. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure it was more level related than progs.
                            I thought that was you.

Comment

I thought that was you.
                              You thought I was IEEE?

Comment

Working...
                              X