No announcement yet.

Absent Bosses from QUAKE 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally think Quake is a supernatural being. Takes over the minds of living beings - took over Shub, then Aragon, then the Dragon, then the Strogg (q2/4) and then the Vadrigar in Q3.

Comment

Originally posted by ooppee View Post
      I personally think Quake is a supernatural being. Takes over the minds of living beings - took over Shub, then Aragon, then the Dragon, then the Strogg (q2/4) and then the Vadrigar in Q3.

I think this way also.. Quake is to big to end with Quake 1 and so far ID has just jacked up with the whole "Quake" persona. Quake 2 wasn't Quake to me, it was "Strogg wars" and possibly should have has its name changed to that! now there is Quake 4 which is Strogg Wars also.

Where did Quake go! He's supposed to be the all-mighty bad ass ultimate evil spewing monster!

I'd like to see some evidence of what Quake really looks like! Even though there isn't any heh.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I think we can start a petition to ID software to create a New Quake1-style game, using the storyline of Quake1 =)

Think... HP Lovecraft horrors in Id tech5!

My vision of "Quake": Quake is the codename of all the evil behind The game. Shubb niggurath was the goddess mother of all the creatures, but The evil behind is Yog-Sothot. Read Lovecraft and you'll be convinced of that.
        Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

I am planning on doing a "Haunter of the Dark" that shoots lightning once I figure out how to get models imported into quake properly. I'd like to do a Cthulhu as well, but I don't know the best way to do a low poly model of his tentacles yet other than do them as a texture on his body.

Comment

Textures on lowpoly are ugly
            Last edited by inkub0; 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM.
            Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

The tentacles can be done easily low poly make a triangle and stack them. Take a look at the Vore/Shalrath.mdl's face to see what I mean.

Comment

... and normalmaps can help to get more realism on lowpoly tentacles =)
                Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

My FvF server has "killable" versions of Chthon and Shub. Chthon has 5000 health and Shub has 7000 if I remember right, and damage dealt is reduced... but FvF uses Deathmatch 3 mode, so there's all kinds of ammo and stuff laying around.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Wow! It's been a few months, and already my topic has caused quite an impact!

All your boss ideas are quite cool. For me, I have outline of what I might like to have for the boss fights,

E2M7: The Wizard's Arena
                    A Lovecraftian monster similar to Shub-Niggurath, but half her size, stationed in the middle of a immense underground dungeon with chained spiked rolls surrounding him. He'll emanate green or white energy heat seeking blasts from his tentacles, and your objective is to pull all the levers in the dungeon so that he can by crushed by his own equipment. At the beginning of the level, you'll recieve a message saying: YOU WILL NOT TAKE THE RUNE SO EASILY. The other two additional boss fight levels should begin the same way. The Rune, which you took from the previous level, would be kept in a cage that will open after the Wizard is destroyed.

E3M7: Quake's Master Tormenter
                    A giant ogre lurking in a large dark moat, ala Cthon. The level could have similarities with the Cthon level, but probably larger. He will not throw projectiles at you, but he'll try to cut you with his buzz saw arm off the ledge near his moat. The object would be to power up a large Thunderbolt cannon aimed at the moat by pressing buttons, and blast lightning into the tormenter's water, thus electrocuting him. The boss could resemble the Ogre from Quake's original conception.

E4M7: The Shoggoth's Sphere

You'll probably like this idea. In the vein of the Azure Agony level, this level will be a humongous spherical, or oval, cavern, containing a gigantic version of the spawn, but with multiple tenticles which will attempt to punch you off guard. This a Quakish interpretation of the Shoggoth, so it won't have eyes.
                    The object to defeating the Shoggoth would to press buttons bearing the symbol of the runes in the order of which realms they were found (based upon their shape). In the complete order is correctly computed, the Shoggoth will explode from within. If not, then the player will explode.

How do these ideas sound to you?

Comment

awesome, lets get it done!

Comment

The last one sounds tricky for A.I (what A.I) to handle!
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I always just thought of adding the QTest dragon to the E3M6 above the bridge where you get the Rune and replace the Vore's also with their pre-release versions (throwing lavaballs)

Comment

The last one seems tricky for the A.I. (what A.I.) to handle!
                            Which part of the last boss's AI would be tricky to pull of? Making the Shoggoth punch its tentacles all over the room, or to make successfully follow the player wherever he goes with its tentacle punches?

I only hope that my proposed Shoggoth can successfully be pulled off in the Quake engine.

The Shoggoth will be stationary in the middle of the level, just like Shub-Niggurath and Cthon. But it's attacks will feel like hundreds of Spawns striving to punch you.

I always just thought of adding the QTest dragon to the E3M6 above the bridge where you get the Rune and replace the Vore's also with their pre-release versions (throwing lavaballs)
                            I like your ideas, Oopee. Turning Qtest cut enemies into bosses and putting them in the last levels of the three remaining episodes would be a cool idea.

awesome, lets get it done!
                            Thanks, osjclatchford, for thinking my ideas are awesome. The question is: who or whom can bring these ideas into solid boss levels?

Comment

Working...
                            X