Lovecraftian enemy mod for quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovecraftian enemy mod for quake?

Hey guys, I'm a huge lovecraft and quake fan. I've always wanted to add more lovecraft elements into quake, and I've even thought of making a full blown lovecraft mod for quake. However part of the greatness of quake, is that it is quake. So I'd like to do a bit of a fusion where I make more lovecraftian elements with that cool cyber/medieval quake flair.

I have made low poly models in 3ds max and have done rigging and animation in 3dsmax. I have managed to bring some low poly models into quake format, but I'm a bit lost as how to bring the texture mapping in. Can anyone point me to some good tutorials and/or freeware software that will allow me to do some quake modelling and texturing in 3dsmax and then import it into quake or a quake editor? My main goal right now is just to make a simple enemy with animations and bring it into quake then go from there.

Thanks

i3D is where most people get sent to, when it comes to modding/mapping/modeling, and other stuff like that

Inside3D - Quake Modding - We are Quake, er, the modders, not
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Thanks, found a good video tutorial on what I want to do here.

Saw a forum post that goes over the same thing essentially as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringman View Post
        My main goal right now is just to make a simple enemy with animations and bring it into quake then go from there.
        I like your idea, so i'm ready to help you with QuakeC questions if it will, my icq 255466696.
        No tears please, it’s a waste of a good suffering!

Comment

Cool I'll post my progress as I go.

Comment

I'd suggest using Seor Casaroja's Engineering Oasis
            to convert to Quake model format.

It allows you to import/export to many formats. So you could import from .obj export to .md3, and .mdl.

Though, with rigged models, .iqm would be your best quality; currently supported in DarkPlaces only.
            Last edited by R00k; 11-24-2010, 10:05 AM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

i think tha lovecraftian monsters can be used in Remake Quake Project !
              Maybe RMQ people will be interested in it...
              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

Status Update:

First test was successful. I brought a texture-mapped model from 3dsmax into quake. It showed up in both the original quake and dark places. Nothing to show off just yet.

Next step:

Pick a decent Lovecraft monster to work on as my first monster. Preferably something simple, no Cthulhu yet. I don't want to make a Cthulhu and end up with him being worse looking than my later creations after I've had some experience. I've been thinking something like a Gug, Hounds of Tindalos, Haunter in the dark, and possibly a Mi-Go. Any suggestions?

Edit: I found a good start. A Dhole. A description says: Dholes are huge, slimy worm-like creatures, at least several hundred feet long. This would be simple to model and animate, and there's not really a critter like it in Quake. I don't plan on making it 100 feet long though. Perhaps I'll make a smaller version called a Qhole. The Quake version of the Dhole, since there are also similar monsters called Bholes in Lovecraft mythos.
                Last edited by Ringman; 11-29-2010, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I'd personally love to see a Dimensional Shambler. Can be a boss enemy and act like a cross between the first boss in Mission Pack 2 and the normal Shambler.
                  The boss would disapear and teleport to another area in the room.
                  Now imagine a slimmer Shambler with high health doing the same.
                  Found a few different styles:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Front-Face.png

http://nanabatu.web.fc2.com/boon/cth...l-Shambler.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__jiViaX-Uw...mblerLoRes.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/csstrowbridge...alShambler.jpg

Comment

This would be great. The Quoth mod has some mythos elements. No mappers have used it for a Lovecraftian theme though, that I know of, which is what I'd like to see.

Comment

Well, we essentially already have a shambler. May not look the same but it has a shambler essence. However I'll consider a Shambler revamp in the future. The Quoth mod looks pretty cool I love the winged creature's design.

Status Update:

I decided to go with the Qhole for now, since it will be easy to model and easy to animate since this is my first monster. The Mesh is almost done. I'll post an image when I get it finished. Hopefully by tonight and then you guys can critique it. I'm trying to keep it low poly and I'll be using the quake palette for texturing so it will fit in with the original quake.
                      Last edited by Ringman; 12-01-2010, 06:19 AM.

Comment

This is still WIP, but I wanted to show him off. I'm thinking of adding more to the mesh, and the textures are just drafts for now. But what do you think so far?

Comment

is that a Dhole from The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, 0r?

Originally posted by tDQoUK
                          Finally the tension grew almost unbearable, and he was about to flee in panic when the thud of something on the newly heaped bones nearby drew his notice from the other sound. It was the ladder, and after a minute of groping he had it taut in his hands. But the other sound did not cease, and followed him even as he climbed. He had gone fully five feet from the ground when the rattling beneath waxed emphatic, and was a good ten feet up when something swayed the ladder from below. At a height which must have been fifteen or twenty feet he felt his whole side brushed by a great slippery length which grew alternately convex and concave with wriggling; and hereafter he climbed desperately to escape the unendurable nuzzling of that loathsome and overfed Dhole whose form no man might see.

Comment

Yup that's the idea. The texture I'm using for his mouth is too high res but this is just for testing purposes at the moment. I'm going to make a texture from scratch for him soon.

Comment

could make the outer skin vary dark and make the inner mouth a bright color, so when a player goes into a dark area the mouth will fly open and towards them and care the shite out of them or when they turn around to the sound and have this brightness flashed on their screen to startle them (the pink demons in DooM used to do this to me all the time, to turn around have have all the bright pink with some yellow and red and the biting sound always came as total shock)

but its just an idea to consider or not

Comment

Working...
                              X