No announcement yet.

Full version of "The Dismal Obliette"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full version of "The Dismal Obliette"?

Romero released the lost entrance as e2m10 with the map source.
    Has anyone taken the entrance and merged it with the "final" E2M6?
    I had once awhile back but they changed the lighting, enemies and item placement.

Just wondering if anyone has one that simply merged the 2 into 1 map and kept the items, monsters, ect all original.

Map + Source - http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/e2m10glq.html (this one supports transparent water)

Here's my attempt: e2m6-full.zip. A LIT file is also included.

It's not perfect; the lighting around the first bridge switch could be improved, and there were some brushes in the cave area that WorldCraft didn't like, so I ended up crudely sealing a part of that. There may be other parts of it that are also less than perfect - I'm most definitely not a mapper and i just did this for fun.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Where's the freaking exit!?

Even with "noclip" after shooting all monsters then scraping walls for hidden passages I couldn't find it.

The map is pretty epic in its own right however and I enjoyed it. Just needs an exit!
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

The exit is that black hole in the wall. Romero didn't make it exit to E2M6. Personally if one wasn't to merge the 2 - the exit to E2M6 should be RIGHT when you enter that room (make it all black inside and delete the enemies inside).

I do have the "Full Version" however it's from the "Pre Release" Quake where Vores launch lavaballs and you have the old "End" map. However trying to boot in in Q1 results in a crash. Now if we could port it, would be ideal. Much like how the old End map has been ported.

@MH - TY I will give it a try right now
        [Edit]
        Works perfect MH However turn off Real-Time lights as if it's on - the "Lost Entrance" is basically pitch black (unless that's caused by my dlits file?)

Comment

An rtlights file would be specific to the original map, and changing the map invalidates the data in it. It would basically need a new rtlights file built for it.

I haven't changed the brush positioning in the original portion however, so you might be able to noclip to there and have things work OK. I don't know enough about how rtlights files work to say for certain though.

Comment

Hello MH,

I would like to say: Thank you very much for your great map-merge !
            There are even secrets in the "new" portion.

I especially love your .lit file. It must have been created by your mhcolor tool right ?

I guess Phenoms question regarding the exit was referring to the original Lost Entrance map,
            because MH´s merged map has a fluent crossover.

Regarding the lighting in the "new" portion:
            If you keep the name: e2m6.bsp, be sure to delete your rtlights file, created for the official e2m6 map !
            If you dont, MH´s merged map will look pitch black at the beginning:

If you use MH´s wonderful .lit file instead, the beauty looks like this:

Thank you again MH.

Kind regards,
            Seven

Comment

Yep found that out. I had a rtlights in a pk3 (I kept the same name as I want it in my standard Quake without having to edit files/manually visit by console).

Looking into how to do rtlights for the old area by adding parts to Romi's set for the map.

Comment

This contains something I've never seen before? all this vague chit chat has me wondering, am I missing out on something???
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

It's the removed entrance of E2M6. It's short but a nice addition. If you've played a E2M10 - then you've played this in a way. Romero released the entrance as a separate map under that title. It however did not have a exit.
                  MH did a great job of merging the map together - so it's complete again since the leaked "Pre-Release" Quake (which had the full map and the old end map).

I did a little reading up on how to do RTLights - here's what I came up with. First time ever doing this. Nowhere near as good as others here, but can be used as a base to improve upon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Some screenshots with comparable differences between original and released would be awesome.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

No rtlights were present - if you used Romi's the "removed" entrance was pitch black. So it's Romi's lights in the normal part of the map - mine in the entrance.
                      Can't really make a comparison shot to older rtlights as if you use them - it's all black.

Shots are of Romi's with my addons for the Entrance area

What you will get with Romi's

His work, no bugs with his. Just his didn't have the entrance - so enabling realtime lighting with his results in that due to him not having that part of the map. His are used once you get past the entrance. Didn't touch those.

Comment

I'd guess that the main difference between the prerelease and the final is the BSP version number in the header; 28 instead of 29. I know that ID just bumped all version numbers by 1 so that prerelease content wouldn't work with the engine provided with shareware Quake.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of prerelease to test the theory with, but the most recently released DirectQ does accept 28 as a BSP version number so I guess that somebody else could. directq - Release: Release 1.8.7 (RC3)

Comment

I do have a copy I could send your way if you'd like

[Edit]
                          Actually got it to boot up. The version change thing made me think of opening up the bsp via hex editor. Sure enough the first value was "1C" so I looked at the other maps, also those did start with 1C and all my ID1 maps started with 1D. Changed it, saved and it booted.

HOWEVER - your port is actually more "complete".
                          Romero's map source was actually updated from when the Pre-Release was made. If you boot yours up in DM you will notice a lift that goes up to the original start room. The lift is where the SP start (to your right) in "full" edit. In the pre-release - that lift is completely absent.
                          So yours is still better than the pre-release as it has the updates for DM whereas the other doesn't.

Comment

Actually did notice yours only has 1 DM spawn in the Entrance area. My only thing I'd suggest is could you add in some more DM spawn spots?
                            I posted the original pre-release map (with the modified header) - want to add those DM spawns to yours too? Or else I kill more Dopefish! j/k

Download e2m6-pre.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
                            Attached Files

Comment

Rofl dopefish lives

Comment

Working...
                              X