Slow access with scripts enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow access with scripts enabled

I've noticed that if I run with scripts enabled, opening several browser tab views of the site (threads or sub views of the main page) makes the whole browser extremely slow (CPU at 100% constantly). By just disabling the scripts, it is *much* faster and loads the pages normally.

I'm using GreenBrowser (an excellent tabbed IE shell) on Win95 OSR2 on an old P233. It's a bit dated now but usually it's completely sufficient for browsing.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Originally posted by aguirRe
    I've noticed that if I run with scripts enabled, opening several browser tab views of the site (threads or sub views of the main page) makes the whole browser extremely slow (CPU at 100% constantly). By just disabling the scripts, it is *much* faster and loads the pages normally.

I'm using GreenBrowser (an excellent tabbed IE shell) on Win95 OSR2 on an old P233. It's a bit dated now but usually it's completely sufficient for browsing.

Any ideas what could be causing it?
    Hmmm. That's kind of weird. Maybe Solecord will know.

I open numerous tabs when viewing this site all the time and I don't get that, but I'm using FireFox or Mozilla when doing that.

Maybe something IE is doing with the way the scripts are written or something to that effect, although Solecord usually uses IE.

The actual home page uses javascript to query the last 15 threads in some manner, but I wouldn't expect that to affect anything if the tabs aren't the home page itself with the recent threads block.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

It sounds like you simply need to upgrade the CPU and motherboard, maybe get another case, upgrade Windows 95 to Windows XP, add more ram and install Firefox.
      "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

aguiRe: I've got some not too old pc stuff laying around here. If you are interested just contact me. I don't care much about money.
        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

When you refer to scripts, you talking about javascripts? The message board itself has lots of javascript / AJAX technology. The server browser and server list page use some javascript to display server and player information when you hover over a respective server. And the entire page has some special javascript for IE called "minmax.js" which is used to allow IE to recognize the CSS definitions for min-width and max-width. Perhaps there's an issue with that script because you're using Win 95? What version of IE are you using (or is GreenBrowser based on)?

Comment

Spirit: Thanks, I've got two machines, the old one is just my surf machine and "hardware firewall"

Solecord: I'm not too experienced with the terminology, but I think the "Script" setting means JavaScript. To make things more complicated, there's a "Java" setting also, but I'm not sure what that's for (it doesn't seem to make any difference in this case anyway). Maybe that's for Java applications ...

The bottom line IE is 5.5 and together with Win95 OSR2, the whole system is basically Win98. It's eight years old now and I'm very impressed by its staying power ...

The site slowness isn't really an issue for me since I just disable scripts, but I thought you might want to know about this symptom so you could decide if it's worthwhile or not. Thanks for answers.

Btw, if you want to check out GreenBrowser, it's here: http://www.morequick.com/indexen.htm .

Comment

I suggest inventsing in a new computer
              edit: nvm u can delete this
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer
                I suggest inventsing in a new computer
                edit: nvm u can delete this
                Everyone likes to keep their old computers and find a use for them. I suspect that is how most ppl accumulate enough computers for a lan game :d :d
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

A whole bunch of 233 mhz machines on a LAN... oh god that would be slow running counter strike

Comment

IE 5.5 ugh. I believe that is the issue. I could spend some time investigating this but looking at browser statistics, use of 5.5 version accounts for only 0.5 % of pageviews. Guess you're the only one using it heh so I'm not going to bother looking more into the issue. I know there are issues with the site possibly not displaying the same in older versions of IE (earlier than 5.5) just due to some CSS issues (and that javascript I have comes into play for some of that). Whether or not any of the GreenBrowser code has anything extra added in to cause slowness is beyond my scope.

Thanks for letting me know though. If there's any other issues with the site, let me know. Also I'd be interested to know what the site looks like in the older browser (I never really tested in 5.5 or lower)... take a look in a modern browser if you can and let me know if it looks the same.

Comment

Get Firefox here... it's alot faster.

Comment

No! Opera is better and faster!

Just joking... Don't start telling aguire to get a different browser, that's just bullshit.
                        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

It's a very good browser and besides, it's justa browser, it's not like recommending a different operating system

Comment

I wouldn't say firefox is a lot faster than IE. I'm using IE right now and there's no difference.

Firefox is open source and allows people to make extensions. It doesn't use ActiveX.

IE is closed source (this COULD mean it's more secure) and has extensions hand chosen by Microsoft. I uses ActiveX which apparantly has leaks.

Speed? It's the same bra

edit: Firefox also seems to crash on me a lot more than IE does. Something to do with its "feature" on how it uses the Cache.
                            Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 06-26-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

These comments are mainly specific to me:

Because IE is a part of the OS, when I click on the IE window, it immediately opens up and loads my homepage (google). No delay whatsoever. But Firefox is not initially loaded, so when I click on the Firefox icon I have to wait for it to load. I tend to have ADD when it comes to web browsing so I hate to have to wait for Firefox to load. I've mostly always used IE when casually browsing the net. I'll use Firefox once in awhile or when I'm designing pages.

Oh, and BTW, Opera seems to load much faster than Firefox on my machine, and I have no extra added on extensions in Firefox other than the Google Toolbar.

Comment

Working...
                              X