X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit View Post
    Quaddicted has been open to random news submissions for almost 10 years now with close-to-zero success, Open Submissions | QuakeWiki tried it recently too. Func_Msgboard might be a good example of a somewhat active news posting community, though the news there are very selective.
    And I have opened the site again, after updating my outdated Quake Expo 2011.

QuakeWiki.net is again open for any Quake-related submissions, or industry-related submissions. I've seen some interesting articles recently on Kotaku, and I'd like to quote them and start picking up anything related Quake.

Head over here - https://www.quakewiki.net/ - and add something. Anything. With images, preferably. Maybe some mapping updates or some videos or some QuakeC code.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Sole, I still connect to MSN via my crusty old [email protected] account, I use PIDGIN though so that might be why I never see you online. Apparently that transition happened behind the scenes and didn't effect me at all HEH.

I just now noticed that you responded directly to me at the end of your post, OOF. PM incoming now

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    Someone pm'd me recently about news poster and I'll post the response I sent him here. If you want to be a news poster, write something and PM it to me. I'll let a few other mods read it. If we like it, we'll post it and make you a news poster.

Spirit's writeup is pretty accurate. Asking for open submissions rarely works. I've run other web sites as well and never received any valid posts submitted like that. You need someone who is passionate about Quake and the community, but is also a good writer.

At this point, if you're interested write up a story and PM me. I'll share with a few others... I've been neglecting this site recently due to work and will continue to be "absent" for the next two months at least (big project at work is killing me).

Oh, and to Mindz > I think I haven't been on IM to you because MSN is gone? When they converted to Skype, I never bothered. I've been on IM daily on AIM or Gchat. PM me if you don't have my AIM/Gchat.

Leave a comment:

• JDSTONE
    replied
    QUOTH UPDATE LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING WORTH SAYING its nice to see the front page updated from time to time thanks for the work you all put in mindz hope some one is able to step up and have fun with it. who did the interview with doom guy? that shit was funny i would like to read more stuff written with that kind of creativity in it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What people don't seem to realize is... this would be a priviledge for someone to do and if you look for the real experience a pro would be happy to help...

For this purpose, I've approached Lotonaut to help and waiting to hear but will forward him this "offer".

Blog of Lutonaut | It’s a blog.

Well just to say until then let's feed Mindz with something to end the position... like a last news update for a "au revoir et merci"
    Last edited by Mom; 05-09-2014, 01:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied
    i said!

Hey wtf is up with the weather in Oklahoma?!?!!

(i was born there)

Leave a comment:

• Phenom
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post

By the way, are Phenom, Frenzy and Sole himself still able to contribute?

Kind regards

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Spirit
    replied
    Everyone can suggest how a website should do it but unless someone actually steps up and does write posts, nothing good is coming of it. Quaddicted has been open to random news submissions for almost 10 years now with close-to-zero success, Open Submissions | QuakeWiki tried it recently too. Func_Msgboard might be a good example of a somewhat active news posting community, though the news there are very selective.

If you are unhappy, just start a forum thread (-series) and post your write-ups. If you are doing a good job, I am sure whoever runs the site will see the benefit and "promote" you. If not, come join the greatest Quake SP website and post appropriate news there.

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    Why isn't one person simply picking from the pool of posts for front page news? You don't need PM's and "approvals". Just make a post and maybe someone with the right privileges will make it front page news.

How easy is that job? You just open recent posts, eye skim the list, realize none of it is front page news and go about your day. You don't even need to understand English.

:Skims recent posts: Nicht

see, it works universally.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by R00k View Post
    instead of a single person doing the news page why not just allow people to make one by sending submissions to solecord via private msg and alow him to post worthy news articles?
    ^^^^^^

Very bad idea

Someone should be granted the position or even better 2-3 people AND/OR just showing some active/interesting threads would make it (someone already talked about it and it was full of sens since it is just a forum after all).

But whatever you want/decide... have someone in charge.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
    It could be argued that the front page should have at least some editorial control in order to make sure the content is worthy and is in keeping with the themes and ethics of the community. It's not an easy job and you certainly need a lot of tact, a thick skin, the ability to inspire and present things in an interesting way, and peers who will support you with news, advice and so forth. If you read back on some of Baker's posts it's always been a place where only the most interesting articles with the broadest appeal get through. To be fair to Mindzy there hasn't been a lot of "completed works" or event activity recently (with the exception of Seven's excellent SMC developments) on which he can report, so Mindzy don't be so hard on yourself

I wonder if a "guest" editor would be worth having so they have a slot for a month on the front page. If they like doing it and it also works out for the community then perhaps that slot could be extended.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, perhaps the following would be good candidates for having the qualities needed and would certainly get my vote....
    Golden boy (regardless of what Baker may have said, this guy deserves a chance should he be interested, as judging by his blog he has a lot more to offer. )
    Seven (Helpful as ever and has a very supportive following whom I'm sure would help contribute)
    Shadowswift (Has a presentation style all his own)
    Peg (One of the most helpful and unassuming guys you could ever wish to meet, is articulate and has helped more mappers and players than you could shake a stick at both directly and behind the scenes on numerous servers)
    Sir Henry (Well... he is.... erm... I'll get back to you on this one.... but having seen his work on other sites he could add a very individual and entertaining perspective on Quake and it's community )
    Spike (A gold mine of development information and it would be good to see the sort of things that are possible and what Spike may have cooking away on the back burner. Also any QW ideas/developments that may inspire the NQ community)
    R00k (As above but for NQ and always has a some of the snappiest comebacks )

Kind regards

Monty
    Yep!! The are just most likely just busy with life in general. I rarely see Solecord log on to his instant messenger now days, so I haven't been able to nag him about what he thinks getting his opinion.

@golden_boy's one and only comment here... read page 1 for it.

Baker isn't and never was the end-all to the determination on whether or not a member of this community is able to devote time and effort to the community. I bet you the very air I breathe that he would NOD to that statement..logically thinking anyway...someone thinking this should be run by 1 man should pack their shit and leave Not to bring attention to who's making this entire shin-dig possible, is Solecord. I don't understand why you'd come back just to antagonize. Maybe its a across the big pond miscommunication. Democracy rules these waters AFAIK bro.

Fuck it, you've inspired me. Between two Quads # 3 incoming shortly, this is a spot where I can excel with spotlighting another community member. I'm texting him right now @ 3:18AM see if hes awake. Good day sir, look forward to you puttin on your stiff upper lip and joining me @ making Quakeone.com Frontpage News 'Tick' , if not, eh well, I tried.

<3
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-06-2014, 02:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    It could be argued that the front page should have at least some editorial control in order to make sure the content is worthy and is in keeping with the themes and ethics of the community. It's not an easy job and you certainly need a lot of tact, a thick skin, the ability to inspire and present things in an interesting way, and peers who will support you with news, advice and so forth. If you read back on some of Baker's posts it's always been a place where only the most interesting articles with the broadest appeal get through. To be fair to Mindzy there hasn't been a lot of "completed works" or event activity recently (with the exception of Seven's excellent SMC developments) on which he can report, so Mindzy don't be so hard on yourself

I wonder if a "guest" editor would be worth having so they have a slot for a month on the front page. If they like doing it and it also works out for the community then perhaps that slot could be extended.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, perhaps the following would be good candidates for having the qualities needed and would certainly get my vote....
    Golden boy (regardless of what Baker may have said, this guy deserves a chance should he be interested, as judging by his blog he has a lot more to offer. )
    Seven (Helpful as ever and has a very supportive following whom I'm sure would help contribute)
    Shadowswift (Has a presentation style all his own)
    Peg (One of the most helpful and unassuming guys you could ever wish to meet, is articulate and has helped more mappers and players than you could shake a stick at both directly and behind the scenes on numerous servers)
    Sir Henry (Well... he is.... erm... I'll get back to you on this one.... but having seen his work on other sites he could add a very individual and entertaining perspective on Quake and it's community )
    Spike (A gold mine of development information and it would be good to see the sort of things that are possible and what Spike may have cooking away on the back burner. Also any QW ideas/developments that may inspire the NQ community)
    R00k (As above but for NQ and always has some of the snappiest comebacks )

Kind regards

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-06-2014, 01:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Originally posted by R00k View Post
    instead of a single person doing the news page why not just allow people to make one by sending submissions to solecord via private msg and alow him to post worthy news articles?
    he has even less time than I do! News submission would be a neat feature, if it got used.

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    I volunteered for this exact position months ago. I was publicly smacked down by your man Baker in his infinite wisdom. I don't feel like reapplying anytime soon. You can thank him.

You people are jokers.
    ? We people are many far and diverse, i'm sorry 'one of us' defamed the entire community. Glad you've endured here though, you're a great addition and countless times you've been a force to be reckoned with in terms of sheer knowledge. Not that it ever benefited me directly, but I do take notice what goes on in the community.

<3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X