I once knew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I once knew

a mod who always had an eye at func msgboard and made some nice news about what was going on there. To ensure that no new map will go unnoticed here at q1.

I wasnt uptodate and had to look at all those quake sites to see what happened the last months. How can it be that 2 map jams happened and are not mentioned here ?

Let news slip one time is OK, that can happen. But also a second time ?
    I remember the discussions about what keeps this site interesting and worth revisiting... News.

It is not too late, as the 2 missed map jams have been both in april (less than a month ago).
    Even if they are not as huge as the prior jams in terms of map count and famous mapper names. They are still worth mentioning, arent they ? Maps and Mods is what keeps this game alive imho. And what keeps this game alive is also good for this forum, right ?

Map Jam 5: The Qonquer Map Jam (at quaddicted: here)

Retro Jam 3 (at quaddicted: here)

Thank you for making news and keeping this site up and clean (from malware and inadequate posts)

@news slip...

golden_boy has been injured for weeks and made 3 or 4 mentions of it between here and his blog. I'm assuming that's the "mod you once knew"

And actually I think it was 2 injuries cause I believe he said his back on his blog but here he said his shoulder. I could be mistaken but I tend to have an excellent memory. Then again, the back and the shoulder can be the same thing if he was referring to his shoulder blade.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

i myself have been suffering from bursitis (which i still am even though its nowhere near as bad as it used to be),
      and (as you mightve seen) ive been extremely busy with making models and textures for quoth-maps,
      which is why i havent been keeping up-to-date with any news around quake.

i did also see sock's arcane dimensions mod as well though.
      but for over a week i couldnt do much at all cuz of the bursitis, and ever since my arm's been feeling bit better again
      ive been to busy to stay up to date on quake-news and to be making news-posts
      Last edited by talisa; 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Seven,

thanks for bringing this up. I will do the news within a few days hopefully.

Indeed I have suffered from a very painful shoulder injury and am still recovering.

There are several things to news, such as a new Quake-engine Ludum Dare game and a number of other things. Such as your own pain skin mod, Sock's stuff etc. Posting all this requires some work, but I'll be on it.

Talisa, I had to wiki bursitis since I wasn't familiar with the latin term, I wish you all the best and a quick recovery.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          a mod who always had an eye at func msgboard and made some nice news about what was going on there. To ensure that no new map will go unnoticed here at q1.

I wasnt uptodate and had to look at all those quake sites to see what happened the last months. How can it be that 2 map jams happened and are not mentioned here ?

Let news slip one time is OK, that can happen. But also a second time ?
          I remember the discussions about what keeps this site interesting and worth revisiting... News.

It is not too late, as the 2 missed map jams have been both in april (less than a month ago).
          Even if they are not as huge as the prior jams in terms of map count and famous mapper names. They are still worth mentioning, arent they ? Maps and Mods is what keeps this game alive imho. And what keeps this game alive is also good for this forum, right ?

Map Jam 5: The Qonquer Map Jam (at quaddicted: here)

Retro Jam 3 (at quaddicted: here)

Thank you for making news and keeping this site up and clean (from malware and inadequate posts)
          When the quarterback gets an injury typically they put in 2nd string.

Seven has the pigskin in his hands, appropriately calls hail mary audible!
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pfxeKGhvk[/ame]
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post

Touchdown!
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

So Seven wants to be a news poster here too???

Comment

Hello,

I didnt know playing with the computer is more dangerous and can lead to injuries than playing football.

Hello Solecord,

You dont want to have pictures of monkeys and apes all over your front page, do you ?
                  There is a saying in Germany: Zuviele Köche verderben den Brei. And we dont want to have news twice a day...
                  Anyhow, Thank you but I think I am not long enough in this forum to have that privilege.

And as far as I understood our moderators, they swear that will not happen again

This is golden_boy (I had to censor his face because he wanted to remain anonymous):

This is talisa (she had no problem to show her real face):

Comment

Not long enough in this forum?

You've been here 8 years and you made probably one of the biggest mods ever!!

Why are g_b and talisa saying the pledge of allegiance? Totally bizarre.

Did you know that Hitler got his salute from Americas original pledge of allegiance? We were "heiling" the flag long before people were heiling him. Of course the Romans really invented it but the information I read didn't attribute the heil to Rome.

Also the salute where you put your flattened hand to your forehead (standard military) came about during an outdoor conference on a very sunny day. Some general or something was speaking and the entire crowd was shielding their eyes from the sun. Some top brass thought it looked official and adopted it as standard military protocol. However, I can't remember if this was an American thing or something that happened hundreds of years ago in another country, long before "top brass" was even a term.

@ your german saying

I studied German for a while. Imma take a shot at translating that (no google...which might be obvious in a second)

Hmmm something cooks something the porridge(or maybe soup)

context time: you are always real humble and downplay yourself as not being "good enough"

Imma take a shot in the dark and say Bad cooks ruin the soup

That's my final answer.

edit:
                    oooooh I was soooo close!

Too many cooks spoil the broth

dammit.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-05-2015, 03:43 AM.
                    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

You dont want to have pictures of monkeys and apes all over your front page, do you ?
                      I think that would be a bonus.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Note : NFL theme'd response below! BLUE FORTY TWO!

Hello,

I didnt know playing with the computer is more dangerous and can lead to injuries than playing football.
                        Touchdown picture = You did a good thing, Touchdowns are good things!

I likened you're mentioning of new Map Jam Pack's being released to the same as a American football touchdown! I even went so far as to find a NFL player who donned a "Seven" jersey!

about the animated gif image, I mentioned football, GB posted a picture of what my culture considers Soccer ,it was either a stab at what real football is or my touchdown image was insufficient, I don't know. I won't pretend to know!

Hello Solecord,

Have you ever seen any News contributors avatars on the front page? This never happens, it is a non issue! When you posted News (albeit hidden in a riddle of sorts in the title!) , the only thing missing was the fact you posted a subtle hint to GoldenBoy that he was slacking off, you was at the line of scrimmage and instead of a pass/run play, you tried lateraling to GB who still has a shoulder injury.

I've lost the desire to finish this post, there was a plethora of failed communication, that immediately started when I tried to use the NFL as an example of what is considered a good thing, and it quickly down spiraled into a failfest courtesy of Mindz. It had to happen sooner or later, and I felt I should atleast hit submit. -click-

What matters is Seven you would make an excellent choice for a News contributor!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          I think that would be a bonus.
                          I completely agree.
                          Quake is for nerds.

Comment

One thing I learned from being a mod and a news poster is that people suddenly think that you are a valid target for all kinds of random crap, including A TON of angry PMs about various community bullshit and hurt egos, and that expectations go through the roof.

And when you get ill, there are two kinds of people: the ones who PM you with honest well wishes, and the ones who ask: why, sir, are you not posting news?

It's an interesting job. At least it's never boring. And I guess I asked for it.
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hello,

I am always suprised how a thread can derail and cause misunderstandings.
                              It seems Baker and Ebisu are the ones that understood my intention correctly.

People are too serious and tend to forget that this forum shall bring some fun, interesting discussions and some cool new stuff.

I didnt know about the illnesses when I started it. Added a little wink, as it is my style of writing in OP. Then people mentioned the illnesses and I said how suprised I am that playing with computer is more dangerous than playing football and can cause injuries. And added 2 little pictures about our moderators, which were of course just for fun (I thought it was obvious because they only showed children). Then someone mentioned Hitler, how strange...
                              And golden_boy used this thread to tell us the badsides of being a moderator and talks about PMs.

Yes I know, being together with human beings is always complicated. Especially for nerds like us, who spend a lot of time in front of the monitor (alone). But this is a forum where people gather. Even with the same interest *Yay*.
                              So please be a little more friendly and take it easy and dont be so serious about the work or anything. I always try to add some humor and funny pictures into my posts. Yes, sometimes also monkeys

Woow, that also taught me not to write something which has to do with 'requests' as people might get it the wrong way I hope golden_boy understood my intentions. At least we are both germans, so I thought we had the same thinking. But I think not, as his quote seemed directly focused to me:"why, sir, are you not posting news?" That is kinda sad.

Anyway, sorry to all who misinterpreted how this thread was developing. And thanks to Baker and Ebisu for taking it as it was meant and special credit to Mindz, who posted nice football pictures

This forum seems to have slightly changed...

Kind regards,
                              Seven
                              Last edited by Seven; 05-05-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X