X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signatures on the Forum - Feedback Requested

Please provide your thoughts...

1. Should signatures be allowed?
    2. Should signatures be text only (with # of lines limited) or should they allow graphics to be included in them?

I would ask what's the concern stemming from? Surely you didn't wake up and decide it's time to put them on the chopping block out of spite.

I'll proxy my vote to whatever you think is best for the community.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Just gathering opinions... I mean I myself have an image in my sig... just wondering what others' thoughts are... I used to run another forum where a majority didn't want images in signatures, and wanted to limit sigs to two lines of text only w/ no links.

Comment

My opinion is to allow something like 3-5 lines of text or a small image of roughly the same size (like those little bars that say "Quake player" etc.)

The thing is, some people view large image sigs as making the forum harder to read or just feeling slightly weird. And I think there's probably something to that.

I have links in my sig myself, perhaps some kind of compromise would be a good idea?
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

personally I dislike it when people have signatures that are 5 times longer than their actual post.
          a line or two is fine, but it gets silly when someone's sig is an image larger than quake's intended resolution.
          links are fine, imho. if anything, the different colour helps distinguish them from the actual posts, which helps make them easy to ignore.

signal to noise type stuff.

also, the userinfo + avatar size is larger than it strictly needs to be, resulting in a lot of wasted space between people's posts, but at least this doesn't obscure the content of those posts.
          banning 400-pixel-height signatures will help make this more obvious.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            personally I dislike it when people have signatures that are 5 times longer than their actual post.
            a line or two is fine, but it gets silly when someone's sig is an image larger than quake's intended resolution.
            links are fine, imho. if anything, the different colour helps distinguish them from the actual posts, which helps make them easy to ignore.

signal to noise type stuff.

also, the userinfo + avatar size is larger than it strictly needs to be, resulting in a lot of wasted space between people's posts, but at least this doesn't obscure the content of those posts.
            banning 400-pixel-height signatures will help make this more obvious.
            I cleaned up my signature, what you think? I can't think of anyone who had a more abusive signature than myself.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I think that is very stately Mindzy.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I was going to say I'd turn them off if they were implemented, but I guess I turned them off a long time ago already... and it turns out I have one. and it's old. Guys, I've been living a lie.

Comment

i think as long as they are simple, to the point, they have a place. like spike said,though, having a wall of text as a sig seems a bit much. maybe a char limit?
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I find some people's signatures interesting and insightful. Like Mr. Burns.

Wild guess: Mindzy cleaned up his signature and now problem is solved?
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth, for what it's worth, but at present I've not noticed any major problem sigs over the last few years and within reason limited text + images work well and can add a little character to the poster or perhaps help publicise something of use to the community. I take Spike's point about having to wade through a 1 line post and 2 screen fulls of footer can be a little tiresome but those people seem few and far between (to me at least). Hopefully members will be encouraged to show a little consideration to those with limited bandwidth and not put graphically intensive content in their sigs.

/2 cents

Kind regards

Monty
                      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-15-2015, 01:27 AM.
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I don't have one at the moment but have NO issues with a sig unless its rather LARGE. I believe they add character to some degree.

Comment

Personally do not care for the signature part. Since it was there though I used it. If you get rid of it I would not cry over it.

Comment

I don't mind scaling my sig pics down if you decide on a size restriction.
                            They do work well for me as my indiedb stats show where people originate from.
                            Generally, if I post in a thread, I will get at least a couple of click-throughs to my project pages.

I'm happy to make any changes.
                            Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              I find some people's signatures interesting and insightful. Like Mr. Burns.

Wild guess: Mindzy cleaned up his signature and now problem is solved?
                              That is what I was thinking

Comment

Working...
                              X