Forum Categories - Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Categories - Opinions Needed

What is your take on the current categories we have on the forums? Do we need more forums? Less forums? Should certain forums be grouped together, or broken apart into sub-forums? Keep everything the way it is now? Post your thoughts...

We probably have too many subforums tbh.

My ideas

"Quake Talk" section:

- merge CTF and DM into Multiplayer Chat
    - rename Single Player Singleplayer Chat
    - merge Other Games and Venting Area into Chat-O-Rama and make this subforum not appear in "Recent Threads" to avoid lots of offtopic stuff on the front page
    - remove "Media" and let modeling screenshots etc. sort into new "Quake Modding" section, rest into Quake Central (videos) or Multiplayer Chat(demos)

"Quake Help" section:

- Combine Multiplayer and Servers and Coding into Mod Help (multiplayer)
    - add Mod Help (singleplayer)
    - move everything about mapping and programming into new "Quake Modding" section

"Mod Releases" section: Rename to "Quake Modding"

- add Art Assets subforum (discuss making maps, models, textures etc)
    - add Programming subforum (discuss QC programming.)

Resulting new structure

Quake Talk

Quake Central
    Events
    Multiplayer Chat
    Singleplayer Chat
    Chat-O-Rama

Quake Help

General Help
    Mod Help (multiplayer)
    Mod Help (singleplayer)
    Quake Clients

Quake Modding

Finished Works
    Works-In-Progress
    Art Assets
    Programming

Something like that.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

gb's idea seems pretty well laid out. i like it. (but as it is, the forum seems ok)
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

A clans category would be helpful.....one each for DM/CTF/CA.

Miss the old days of clan wars where clans could challenge each other on the message boards in clanring:F

Each clan could be limited to 2 threads, one for clan recruitment and one for clan scrimmages.

The forum structure could be as follows:

Main forum category: Clans
        Subcategories: DM Clans, CTF Clans, CA Clans

Within each mod subcategory each clan would be allowed only two threads, one for clan recruitment and one for clan scrimmages. Any clan posting more than 2 threads can have their threads removed by the admin to avoid overloading the forums.
        Last edited by samiam; 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          We probably have too many subforums
          I disagree. I think that it's the other way around... We need some more subforums. (I'm not being rude; I'm just expressing my view). We need a subforum or a sub-board for music. (Music is a big category in Quake One). We also need a subforum for News and Politics. I think that the News are extremely important (I'm not talking about Quake News; I'm talking about World News.)
          "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Hello Solecord,

It is always hard for people to change something. Most people are habit people (if this sentence makes sense in english).

I personally like the current structure as it is.
            But I understand that people who do mostly mods want a more differentiated mods section. While peole who life for the multiplayer matches want more multiplayer sections. And so on.

The actual condition is a quite good compromise and is not overloaded.
            Yes, you can use new namings, but that will not bring more users to this forum I guess.
            Its mostly the layout, colors, shemes that are interesting and makes people curious and stay longer.

What definitely needs MUCH more love is the "Download" section, which is bitterly outdated and doesnt even function good. But I of course also understand that this needs a person who cares and keeps it uptodate.

A good team of mods + admins is essential. And I think we are on a good way.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by samiam View Post
              A clans category would be helpful.....one each for DM/CTF/CA.

Miss the old days of clan wars where clans could challenge each other on the message boards in clanring:F

Each clan could be limited to 2 threads, one for clan recruitment and one for clan scrimmages.

The forum structure could be as follows:

Main forum category: Clans
              Subcategories: DM Clans, CTF Clans, CA Clans

Within each mod subcategory each clan would be allowed only two threads, one for clan recruitment and one for clan scrimmages. Any clan posting more than 2 threads can have their threads removed by the admin to avoid overloading the forums.
              what clans?
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                what clans?

SonOfABitchin'!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                  SonOfABitchin'!!!
                  Find a 2nd and I'll do the same Clan Scrimmage incoming....

ps : if the forums go through some drastic changes/adjustments/condensing of subcategories here and there, prepare for chaos for a minute.

Also, I am concerned about too much landscaping going on,and especially concerned that any forums would be deducted from recent activity,at least if this means that post's in chatorama won't appear on the front page.

I never click the recent activity...if what posts from what forums appear on the front page doesn't change, then I'm okay with that.

imo the only forums that should be exempt from showing up on frontpage/recent activity is anything help related & venting forum.
                  Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-19-2015, 08:49 PM.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                  X