forum auto-lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum auto-lock

Lately it has been the case that many developers here have had issues updating threads pertaining to their mods and assets. From what i've been reading, this auto-lock feature also kills links and screenshots in auto-locked posts. I myself have had the issue: my avatar showcase thread is locked, and all img's of my work have ceased to exist. Myself and others, im sure,would like this feature to be changed in some way. Or removed in favor of something better?

Originally posted by seven
    Hurray to this fabulous forum feature. :/
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

A link to that thread would help.

Images should not cease to exist if you use external filehosters like imgur.

Solecord is the right person to talk to about things like this.

And like I said to Seven, start a new thread if the old one was locked? People have a hard time reading through 177 pages to understand what the thread is about.
    Last edited by golden_boy; 06-07-2015, 11:27 AM.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

In the past, users who do not frequent the site very often, or new users, would find a post, and decide to reply to it. It became a very real issue for older posts would be forced back to the top.

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...html#post81500

^ I made the effort to directly link to where this has occurred.
      Originally posted by Necroposting
      JohnRocker 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM
      lust 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
      If anything, maybe the rule can be extended from 1yr to 1.5yr , but honestly its on the original poster to keep their post active. even if it means posting something like

/mandatory post to keep it open

honestly 365 days really seems reasonable, and you would have had to experienced necroposting when it was really bad, that 1 year lock really nipped it in the bud.

and I completely agree with GB, any post that is 177 pages deep really deserves a clean slate refresher.
      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I have had this happen and I just ask the admins to unlock the thread and so far they have done so. I also thought it would be a good idea, and have suggested some kind of script that detects images in posts and makes a local copy of them , rather than relying on external sources. Imgur so far is very good but you dont know how long it will remain that way.

Comment

Turn auto-lock to cache. The OP get's preserved while all consecutive posts get cleared and converted to a downloadable PDF. Have a link after the OP in a banner-like format that indicates you can download the cache, followed by any new posts as normal. Maybe the cache can even be segmented into 5 page volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
            Turn auto-lock to cache. The OP get's preserved while all consecutive posts get cleared and converted to a downloadable PDF. Have a link after the OP in a banner-like format that indicates you can download the cache, followed by any new posts as normal. Maybe the cache can even be segmented into 5 page volumes.
            Drop Solecord a pm with a note about your suggestion?
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
            X