Community Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Focus

I do like to drift through here once in a while to checkout what people are up to, what daft drama is going on and to see if there is anything new to look at. When I think of QuakeOne I do find it difficult to categorize what type of place it is. I get the impression its a strange mix of crazy DM and DP engine eye candy love, which thinking about is pretty much polar opposites!

Lately I find myself frustrated with the focus of the forums, the old giant banner across the top which I assumed by the amount DP content that people make here could have easily been replaced by now. The lack of front page news showing off what the community is doing. Instead being filled up with clickbait about Romero which I suppose is ok, but I would prefer to see stuff by the community instead and lets be honest, there is never a shortage of cool stuff being made here.

I always find it odd that Seven's SMC and Talisa HD content gets so little front page, side bar focus as they clearly produce a crazy amount of content that I am sure lots of people here care about. I get disappointed when gems like Six-Shoota don't get noticed and end up buried in a thread at the bottom of the forum page. Yeah I do seem to spend most of my time scrolling down to the community content stuff more than the random chat stuff at the top.

I remember the days of Baker when front page news was frequent and threads seemed alive, nowadays the forum just seems to be about drama threads and people arguing about the weather! I read recently that there are at least 5-6 moderators of this place, but they are mostly not active which is odd, because why have them at all! Why not get active moderators instead!

Maybe its time to focus this place on what the community actually makes, give SMC a proper forum category, setup and move all the HD stuff into one place (big sidebar links) instead of having to trawl through multiple threads and community footers to find it. Update the front news more frequently and focus on the community rather than some old timer who collects doom boxes!

Ah well, back to lurking and drifting through here once in a while ...

i think your on to something. the community did indeed, need a fresh focus. there needs to be a new group of active mods. as for the future,i thing solecord is working on something regarding that, it's just wait and see right now. i think that we should all just take a deep breath, and carry on.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I think mindz is still allowed to post news, so I would mail him a front page suggestion. I believe it's usually projects out of alpha/beta stages are posted on the front, but there could be a new category for "upcoming projects" or somesuch.

Comment

Caution : wall of text zone below.
        Originally posted by sock View Post
        I do like to drift through here once in a while to checkout what people are up to, what daft drama is going on and to see if there is anything new to look at. When I think of QuakeOne I do find it difficult to categorize what type of place it is. I get the impression its a strange mix of crazy DM and DP engine eye candy love, which thinking about is pretty much polar opposites!
        You hit the nail on the head, this is just resultant of many people being here for their own differing reasons. I, for example, like to explode people into lots of tiny gibs in multiplayer, and it doesn't have to be deathmatch. RocketArena, Capture the Flag, RuneQuake (Runes inside RocketArena?Runes inside Capture the Flag?I can enjoy it all)

Lately I find myself frustrated with the focus of the forums, the old giant banner across the top which I assumed by the amount DP content that people make here could have easily been replaced by now. The lack of front page news showing off what the community is doing. Instead being filled up with clickbait about Romero which I suppose is ok, but I would prefer to see stuff by the community instead and lets be honest, there is never a shortage of cool stuff being made here.
        Do you know someone who is always up to date with what is being made? What is being made rarely touches base with what floats my boat ; multiplayer quake1. I do not know of a single person who is in touch with the custom model/map/eyecandy Quake section of the community as a whole. Maybe you (or someone you know) can fit that bill. If news will be expected to keep pace with what is being made, someone who has the passion for those things and is up to the task for creating the news that covers that exact content you are mentioning,we need someone who regularly active in those areas. I am not that person, it shouldn't be taken with offense, I just do not find plugging in the 100th DP addon / the 100 millionth custom single player map being plugged into my Quake interesting, so I do not mess with it. We need someone who has that passion. Maybe it is you.

I always find it odd that Seven's SMC and Talisa HD content gets so little front page, side bar focus as they clearly produce a crazy amount of content that I am sure lots of people here care about. I get disappointed when gems like Six-Shoota don't get noticed and end up buried in a thread at the bottom of the forum page. Yeah I do seem to spend most of my time scrolling down to the community content stuff more than the random chat stuff at the top.
        See above.
        I remember the days of Baker when front page news was frequent and threads seemed alive, nowadays the forum just seems to be about drama threads and people arguing about the weather! I read recently that there are at least 5-6 moderators of this place, but they are mostly not active which is odd, because why have them at all! Why not get active moderators instead!
        The moderators I mentioned in the post in question were put in place when the multiplayer community rivaled any activity that the SP community could hope for. In 2006 and onward until roughly 2009, the forums was run amok with die hard multiplayer Quakers.There has indeed been a shift in focus for the over all status quo what represents the more active portions of the community.

Maybe its time to focus this place on what the community actually makes, give SMC a proper forum category, setup and move all the HD stuff into one place (big sidebar links) instead of having to trawl through multiple threads and community footers to find it. Update the front news more frequently and focus on the community rather than some old timer who collects doom boxes!
        This place is truthfully a Transformer (more than meets the eye) I can't help but laugh when you mention some old timer who collects doom boxes, surely we can't be harping on the news article I provided for one of the guys who made any of this possible. Not that we run a stalker-esque "All hail the mighty Romero" around here, but I just find this jab at the Romero news article weird.

I have made plenty of news articles about content as per request whenever I am asked to do so. I can not make news articles about content that doesn't interest me on my own because that isn't in the wheelhouse of what I consider myself passionate about in Q1. I have a hard enough time finding those rare competitive multiplayer games in Q1, and when I stop being able to find them at all, I still won't pickup the section of a game I sat down back in 1997. I am heavily invested into multiplayer Q1 but I realize that this website =/= the same audience that used to once reside here.

Sock, I have had people ask me do news (and witnessed other people submit news) based on your works and other mappers, most recent notable content being the Map Jam's. Have you ever requested any of your work be shown on the front page news? Wanting something to happen and something actually happening are so different. I want everyone to grab their socks drop their c?ck, pick up their mouse and show up for some hardcore Q1 gaming but if I don't take the time to showup on a server or communicate with the other Q1 multiplayer community, without the active effort nothing gets accomplished outside of sheer luck.

The same can be said for that front page. If you think we can do better, than you could very well be right, and you could be the vehicle that leads to that greatness. GB is gone, one has to take him for his word at face value and that value is he is done.

I guess what I am saying, with the best of intentions, is put up or shut up. Say the word and I will mention you becoming a News poster who has the inside trek of custom single player mappers and can keep pace with when they release something, they can post the news about the release, or custom DP eyecandy's/replacement models, etc!

I can't be faulted (nor can anyone) for the lack of news, there isn't exactly anyone volunteering themselves to keep the front page news fresh with the content that you speak of. I support your becoming a news posters because I see that passion in you, your post is testimony!

I hope I haven't come off rudely, as I am just trying to cover the bases that you have brought up. No one person can't do it all, and if anything it becomes apparent with the recent 'distractions' that have taken place on the forums, if it has highlighted anything it should be that this can't be a one man show. We knew this all along and yet we've hinged on it so many times

-Baker covering news across every imaginable spectrum.(forever)
        -GB covering news across every imaginable spectrum.(recently the most diverse news poster)
        -Talisa covering custom maps / DP eye candy replacement type content
        Ah well, back to lurking and drifting through here once in a while ...

Will you take on that role? Do you want the changes bad enough to take on this gauntlet? I hope you do. You would become an invaluable asset to the frontpage when it comes to the activities of the mapping community. Instead of relying on people who aren't heavily active in the mapping community , you could bring that information straight from the source and skip the people in the middle.

exposure for the mapping community / fresh front page news = win/win , right?
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-25-2015, 11:50 PM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
          I think mindz is still allowed to post news, so I would mail him a front page suggestion. I believe it's usually projects out of alpha/beta stages are posted on the front, but there could be a new category for "upcoming projects" or somesuch.
          I am able, but I am not passionate about anything but multiplayer Quake. If you aren't passionate about what you are doing, it becomes menial or tedius. Anytime I have ever been asked to do news about anything I have done so.

As sock pointed out, it's not that there isn't any content available for the front page,as there is more than you can throw a rock at. The real problem with that content actually making it to the front page is

-with a lack of someone who is interested / passionate about those contents, it is either entirely missed by not making it on the front page news
          or
          -it only makes it on the frontpage news when someone goes out of their way to submit it as news and request that news.. neither one of those lend themelves to readily producing frontpage news, and let's face it. You don't want me writing news articles about maps or addons to DP. I won't give you 100%, I'll just do what needs to be done as quickly as it can get done.
          Horrible,brutal,but honest.

I think something that would assist this could be some form of text on the front page that says "Got news? Submit here" but I think we have that, I just could not begin to tell you where it's at.....
          ....and that's bad, if I can't remember where its located after nearly 10 years of being around this website, who knows how obscure the location is.

Maybe we need a common sentence that alludes to "Got News? Submit it here!" that can end every news article, which can lead to a sort of page that has a drop menu system that would indicate what type of news someone is submitting,and it would shoot that information to as for example only if Talisa was heading up custom graphical addons, her, or if the news was custom mapping addons, the news could shoot over to Sock, multiplayer myself, engines could very well need a passionate engine coder (ROOK?IDK!)

Streamlining could do us immeasurable benefit, but we'll only be as good as each pivotal point of the structure we have in place for each niche section of our community.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Front page submissions could be sent to Solecord via private message?!

Doesnt hurt to ask i suppose; yet new posters dont know who runs this site, nothing says his name anywhere.
            the old giant banner across the top which I assumed by the amount DP content that people make here could have easily been replaced by now.
            And yes, the banner logo is janky at best; yet pays homage to a divorcee who played too much Quake, then left in a rant. (sorry y#5, but true)...
            Last edited by R00k; 06-29-2015, 10:49 PM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              Front page submissions could be sent to Solecord via private message?!

Doesnt hurt to ask i suppose; yet new posters dont know who runs this site, nothing says his name anywhere.

And yes, the banner logo is janky at best; yet pays homage to a divorcee who played too much Quake, then left in a rant. (sorry y#5, but true)...
              There have been many submissions in the past for replacements.

The community threw the content replacement , and hoped for rotating banners, nothing ever stuck though.

Comment

Working...
              X