Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New Rules Discussion

New QuakeOne Rules have been posted here - QuakeOne - QuakeOne Forum Rules

Please use this topic to discuss the rules. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to make suggestions to improve the rules, please post below.

Thanks everyone!

You should put those rules at the bottom of the registration form with an "accept terms" checkbox.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Maybe a current list of who the Moderators are?
      Might be handy for new users needing to contact them.

@MadGypsy, Sad news about your dad, my mum is on the way out and I know it's not easy.

I know that sounds callous about my mum but it has been a drawn out thing over a long period, I believe it to be a mercy when it does happen.
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

I agree with a moderators list. Maybe a word cloud thingy and moderators who are more active (ie logged in longer/more often) get to see their name increase in size . Hah, I'm jk about the last part.

___
        @Adam - My father passing was also a long time coming and I viewed his death as a reprieve from all his conditions but, it's still my dad and he's still gone. Even the most optimistic thinking can't change the emotional impact. I'm good, though. It wasn't life shattering... more like, very disappointing and sucky.

Sorry to hear about your Mum . I hope she goes peacefully.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-17-2015, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
          You should put those rules at the bottom of the registration form with an "accept terms" checkbox.
          Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            Maybe a current list of who the Moderators are?
            Might be handy for new users needing to contact them.
            Added to the left Site Navigation block. I created a new section called "Site Info" with links to the rules and moderator list.

Let me know if you are unable to see the Moderator List.

Comment

It works and looks great but, primarily that is going to show people that most mods and admins are never online. I know there are other very easy ways to see if a person is online but that page is like an advertisement for "cat's away". Understand, I am of the belief that just the assumed presence of a mod/admin deters a portion of the garbage.

probably small beans, but there is my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                Added to the left Site Navigation block. I created a new section called "Site Info" with links to the rules and moderator list.

Let me know if you are unable to see the Moderator List.
                It works and looks great but, primarily that is going to show people that most mods and admins are never online. I know there are other very easy ways to see if a person is online but that page is like an advertisement for "cat's away". Understand, I am of the belief that just the assumed presence of a mod/admin deters a portion of the garbage.

Sole, due to this if you're in need of more moderators to help out, I'm usually here daily looking for news and such anyway.

Comment

Welcome back MadGypsy!

Something else about the admin/mod list...
                  2 out of 5 admins are active, unless Efess is still around? Frenzy was only briefly seen a while back and Yellow no.5 hasn't been active in years which basically leaves Sole and myself as admins.

2 out of 4 mods are active, Canadian*Sniper is a dirty lurker at best, and Rampage is rarely on... that leaves Mindz and Planetnine for mods.

The way I see it is the forums usually have fair weather with it's periodical bursts of storms that usually are handled by the current mods/admins. Sure we can't stop every argument but we may not need a lot of extra help, I get emails directly sent to my phone when there's a "Reported Post" and I'll check out the situation A.S.A.P, I don't catch every reported post before it's dealt with and sometimes it's a false positive but what would be the benefit of adding more mods at this point other then having the "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" mentality.

It's all up to Solecord though, just my thought.

____

As for the new rules, I like them, simple and easy to follow, good job Sole!
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

@Welcome Back - Thanks , welcome back to you, too :p.

I knew the mod/admin situation for the most part. My last post wasn't trying to imply we need more. I was just saying it shouldn't show their online status. I know this is mega small beans but, I personally believe viewing that page with straight "offline"s leaves the impression there is no enforcement. Possibly even a sense of abandonment.

edit: (lol I never stop editing) - Maybe instead of online status it could display the join date. This way the impression is more like "lifer" vs inactive.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-19-2015, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      can't stop every argument
                      Arguing isn't bad, it's awesome. The internet allows people to talk about things that maybe have a 2% chance of happening in real life.

You can grow from reading a good argument. And people can grow from participating in a bad argument too.

Any site worth visiting doesn't try to stop arguing Func_msgboard has some great mapping argument threads. I used to be on the receiving end of "bad coding practices" at Inside3D in my newbie coding days from MH and Spike and others.

Now flaming is a different story ... the use of profanity indicates a small mind or someone with feeble self-control. If someone flames, it is someone screaming "I am getting owned".

In that case, the right thing to do is to calmly keep irritating the person enough that they keep flaming until they learn self-control.

I mean, if you are flaming then apparently you don't have enough self-control to participate in that conversation, so keep annoying that person until they get that self-control. And if they don't, tough luck! I control me, if you can't control you then sucks to be you, I'm not responsible for you.

[So in my humble opinion, neither the intelligent argument nor the dumb one should be interfered with. Phenom -- obviously you remember a certain someone who I won't name that kept getting in over her head with arguments with Omicron and then demanded he be banned --- well, I was like "Why not just walk away?" or why don't you use "ignore member".]
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        ... "Why not just walk away?" ...
                        Really!

The internet gives people so many options and chances to escape situations that Almost anyone can be a 'troll' and get away with it these days. It's staggering to think there are people who will willingly blast bast those saftey barrier just to get the last word in. Makes me think of the movie Die Hard only Bruce Willis is the internet troll and the bad guys would be admins... Come in, F'up the program and blow up the whole building if necessary... whatever it takes to put a speed bump in the 'evilness of men'. Troll Hard.

I made a graphic for forum trolls check it out! Just in time for Christmas!
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          Really!

The internet gives people so many options and chances to escape situations that Almost anyone can be a 'troll' and get away with it these days.
                          Favorite Mindzy quote ever ...

I'll even let you have the "last words".

Btw ... your troll hard graphic, funny stuff!
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            Favorite Mindzy quote ever ...

I'll even let you have the "last words".

Btw ... your troll hard graphic, funny stuff!
                            I'm pretty tame now days The most entertainment I get out of Quake lately, is sometimes I go to Shmack and get really snazzy compliments (actually more like sly off the wall cheater accusations).

btw I noticed the other day, that GameStatus is back, but Quakeboard.net is not back. I hope JackHole is doing okay. Last time I talked to Yugo2hecK he had gotten married and had a kid on the way. I think I'll email him and JackHole tomorrow.
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I went to quakeboard.net earlier in the week, it is up.

Comment

Working...
                              X