Image Verification On, heheh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Verification On, heheh

Sole turned on image verification -- you know "type the letters in the box" -- for registration.

No one noticed because we kept deleting them, but we had a pretty good flood of robo-spammers registering.

I imagine we might still get the manual spammer trying to register occasionally, but at least the rovering spammer bots won't be doing it anymore.

Yeah, no one noticed but I know Sole's removed a few of them and I've probably deleted about 100 of them.

/ end things no one would notice anyway
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

ghe well i didnt notice.. however i was surprised this forum kept so damn clean of spam (appart from the occasional not-so-intresting-thread by actual users)

so i guess i did notice after all

Comment

It was "educational" looking at the information of the bots.

About 2/3 were from Russia, and after a while it didn't take long to verify whether it was a bot or not. I'd do www. theirdomain.com and if the homepage for the email address was Russian and the name looked flakey, it was a bot. A lot of them had @mail15.com at the end of the extension.

Funny how image verification increases the "costs" of spamming high enough that it is not worthwhile to spam sites with it.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

On my other forum I've run for years (since 1998 or 1999 or so) I've had so many spammers come on, even manual spammers started coming on. I've compiled a list of free email accounts and I generally stick that list into the "ban this email from registering" box in the forum admin page. I haven't done it here... if manual spammers start coming on, maybe I will. The list mostly consists of those overseas free email accounts... some from USA as well though.

Comment

just testing... ignore...

Last edited by Solecord; 08-14-2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
            if manual spammers start coming on, maybe I will. The list mostly consists of those overseas free email accounts... some from USA as well though.
            It'd be interesting if manual spammers came. Someday I expect there to be more manual spammers on the 'net.

I don't think many of the 100+ spammer-wannabees were manual, the wannabees didn't even bother to active via email, hehe -- which means they can't post.

Comment

Working...
            X