Site Improvement Ideas Pt. 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Improvement Ideas Pt. 2

Any suggestions for more improvements to the site? We had to launch the site before we had everything finessed due to the loss of Singed.NET so we have more improvements and tweaks and some clean-up here and there.

These are my humble thoughts:

1. One that crosses my mind is that it would be nice have something to click on the home page that displays New Posts instead of having to click "Forums" first.

2. I noticed some clean-up issues in the downloads sections ("File" should be "Files"). The first column on this page doesn't seem to be necessary (the blue dots) and the number of votes column seems like it could go to make more room for thorough descriptions. I also noticed a mislabelled column and the server browser block appears when on that page and that probably isn't necessary and would leave more space for the width of the page.

Sole is going to add programming to enable us to link to offsite downloads/pages in the downloads section so we can direct downloads offsite for downloads not hosted here.

3. There seems to be some interest in maybe putting a "Community Links" page somewhere so we can link to other pages that aren't a good fit for the home page or the QuakeOne Navigator

4. Perhaps a screenshots section for single player custom maps. Also that section doesn't seem to display the number of images for subcategories correctly (and I noticed a typo).

5. I think some direct download hyperlinks in the server browser for the servers that require a download would be convenient.

6. Maybe making post "quote" blocks have a different colored background.

7. Some of the preinstalled icons don't mesh well with the background color of the site. One example is the "<" and ">" buttons in the image gallery.

8. Thoughts on the available files in the downloads section? I know we need to get the ProQuake cheat-free module in there and loc files. I need to get the current QRack in an EZ Installer form. Yellow's new packs as well. The current JoeQuake as well. The QView download, while the server list is rather complete, needs some servers added/subtracted.

We are still under construction, although we have the site a lot closer to where we want it.

Other suggestions, thoughts or ideas on the site. Comments welcomed and encouraged.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-01-2006, 02:14 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker
    6. Maybe making post "quote" blocks have a different colored background.
    Testing quote ....

Comment

Guide on mods!

How about a section related to mods? Or just links to external ones in the quake guides section.

For instance, I really liked quake rally and quake slide. Both of those are unexpected mods if you aren't familiar with how customizable quake is.

IMHO new players are going to drift more towards single player levels and mods first. They (and me since I haven't played in forever...) would get destroyed on Internet servers with people who have been playing for years. There's only so much you can take before it starts to not be fun.

It would also be great if someone could dig up references to learn everything there is to know about mapping, quakec, etc etc. Yes this is for me. I may end up doing it but it will take me a while because I know lots of languages but little about quake programming.

Comment

I made a quake combat guide with strategies for most popular mods, except i didn't include CTF. I have DM, CA, RUNEQUAKE, and RA. I e-mailed it to baker a few weeks ago and he should be putting it up on here soon.

Comment

Strats are so biased. why can't you be original

Comment

Quake Radio Homepage.
            "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
              Quake Radio Homepage.
              I second that.

Comment

I seriously plan to get a homepage up sometime tomorrow... I still want/need to get r00k to make his logo without a white background though

Comment

Originally posted by kbdrate
                  How about a section related to mods? Or just links to external ones in the quake guides section.

For instance, I really liked quake rally and quake slide. Both of those are unexpected mods if you aren't familiar with how customizable quake is.

IMHO new players are going to drift more towards single player levels and mods first. They (and me since I haven't played in forever...) would get destroyed on Internet servers with people who have been playing for years. There's only so much you can take before it starts to not be fun.

It would also be great if someone could dig up references to learn everything there is to know about mapping, quakec, etc etc. Yes this is for me. I may end up doing it but it will take me a while because I know lots of languages but little about quake programming.
                  Those are some good ideas. And yeah, slide is fun.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...quakeradio.gif
                    "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Any multiplayer mod that doesn't have bots to play with, I don't like. Because it is always so hard to get someone to play with you online.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                        Any multiplayer mod that doesn't have bots to play with, I don't like. Because it is always so hard to get someone to play with you online.
                        I have like 20 quakers on my IM list so I just tell them "Quake" and play

If you want bots, go to 209.221.185.146:26666 and you'll right at home.

Comment

They have to download the mod and stuff though, and most people don't want to do that. I have better bots than the IHOC ones

Comment

Working...
                          X