QuakeOne Site Traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuakeOne Site Traffic

You know, back in 2006 when this site was launched, the first week the site got a lot of attention. Solecord, Yellow and I were a little surprised on how many people signed up (it was over 100 in the first 5 days) and it was mostly people telling other people about the site.

Today the amount of traffic this site gets is far, far higher than back then.

Just weird if you look at the traffic stats for this site and see how much there is now.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

But how much of the traffic are search engine crawlers? I know Google usually only has one on whatever it's crawling, but bing and yahoo have been known to have dozens on sites. Also, are the stats unique IP's or are they just the number of views over x period of time.

Could we also see some graphs and charts?
    Gentoo Linux

Comment

Click the planet looking thing at the very bottom of the site for the tracker.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Today the amount of traffic this site gets is far, far higher than back then.
        It could be getting a lot more traffic, but gaining to much traffic to fast can actually hurt your SERPS, since some search engines think you're collecting spam links.

If Quakeone.com became a little more outgoing i bet it could get a lot more traffic from targeted sources!
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          If Quakeone.com became a little more outgoing i bet it could get a lot more traffic from targeted sources!
          Yes the site could get even more traffic now but more traffic to what end?

Until there is something actionable to grow the community or the player base, that's like spinning tires in a parking lot with 500 HP and no destination.

Site traffic is a resource, but only in combination with other resources does it achieve anything.

(This is all being worked on in the background in many ways. Ever so slowly, for sure. But far faster than some would believe, haha.)

Case in point, back when the site traffic was only about 20% of what we have to today, when Bomber/Rage and Dredd were new servers, you had people showing up here to play Quake and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadlorde View Post
            But how much of the traffic are search engine crawlers?
            In the statistics, none. The Google/Yahoo/other search engine crawlers are excluded from the traffic.

The weird thing going on right now, our peak traffic is the new AVERAGE traffic.

I understand why (it's hard to easily explain), but the funniest thing to me is that by the end of this month, the new average traffic will be the low.

(No, this has nothing to do with our search engines rankings. Those have been great for a long time now.)

Comment

Most users ever online was 477, 08-05-2008 at 05:10 PM.
              What was going on that day? Something in the Quake world get released?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterSplinter View Post
                What was going on that day? Something in the Quake world get released?
                There are stupid Yahoo and Google that spider the forums.

The Extreme Tracker filters out those guys, but my understanding is that the forum visitors aren't filtered out. So if it hits something strange like 300 or 400 visitors, it's attack of search engine crawlers for sure.

Around that time was Quake Expo 2008. Traffic was probably slightly higher then, but nothing to write home about.

The Quake-Life mod was later in the year, that did have a lot of curious people normally not deeply interested in Quake visiting the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X