Site Conveniences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Conveniences

Here are some ideas for the downloads section, once it refurbished to permit offsite downloads. These are to make life easier.

1. Ease pain in setting up a server

Examples: Download and insta-deploy zip files containing ready-to-go, "unzip and start server" zip packages of mods such as Threewave CTF, CA, RQ, CRMOD, etc.

2. End User conveniences

Truth be told, ThreeWave doesn't need to be a pain or require a -game gamedir command line parameter. A special installer can be built that puts maps in maps and put extraneous models, like star.mdl, into the corresponding folder. This would allow effortless connection to a ThreeWave server and building an installer would make it so less experienced players could just click and let the installer do it for them.

3. Links to different engine download pages in the downloads section. For example, DarkPlaces frequently gets new builds and mirroring that is something we cannot do and it keeps changing anyway.

Ideally the downloads section for non-hosted engines would point to a download page on the engine's home page. QRack is hosted here and ProQuake hasn't had a new release since 2002 so we don't worry about that one morphing too much, heh.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

You could link to the DarkPlaces downloads page... Which though seldom updated, it always links to a version that can connect to servers and play online as well as play any mod. You dont need to direct link to the file, you can trust the player to click more than once if they want something.

If they cant figure out to place pak0.pak which comes with readme.txt talking about CTF and its from a CTF site into a CTF folder to play CTF, they dont need to be running a server.

Ease of getting people playing, yeah sure... but if a person is going to be running a server they should already understand Quake's file structure and basic commands and how mods work in general.

I dont see how you can get much less experienced than just unzipping a single file into a subfolder for Quake named after the mod honestly.... Use PAK files, thats what theyre there for.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
      You could link to the DarkPlaces downloads page... Which though seldom updated, it always links to a version that can connect to servers and play online as well as play any mod. You dont need to direct link to the file, you can trust the player to click more than once if they want something.

If they cant figure out to place pak0.pak which comes with readme.txt talking about CTF and its from a CTF site into a CTF folder to play CTF, they dont need to be running a server.

Ease of getting people playing, yeah sure... but if a person is going to be running a server they should already understand Quake's file structure and basic commands and how mods work in general.

I dont see how you can get much less experienced than just unzipping a single file into a subfolder for Quake named after the mod honestly.... Use PAK files, thats what theyre there for.

We'd do both zip and installer. But a smart installer is like gravity, it always works. There is a diverse body of Quake players, some of them barely know how to do command line parameters or funky Quake names. Offering both allows one the choice of what they feel is best for them.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
        But a smart installer is like gravity, it always works.
        Not on Unix Systems

Comment

I thought Unix was finally supporting gravity!
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Working...
          X