Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns1yhoFTqJ0"]It's not the end of my world! Life goes on...[/ame]
    Last edited by Q -Mark [0!0]; 05-20-2011, 07:25 AM.

As stated in a previous subject where a banner was made using a high poly shambler.
    I do agree we do need a "new banner". However since this game lives off it's community it needs to represent the various areas - showing one is unfair to the other part of the community.
    I think we need one for classic (what we have now)
    One showcasing mapping
    One showcasing models/skins
    One showcasing textures
    One showcasing "all" (custom map, using QRP textures, models)
    Then randomize it - 5 total - 4 and the one now
    This will give each end keeping Quake 1 alive showcased - the all in one would just be a overall showcase of content but not of the community - many still play with the old textures, lighting and models. Some just textures.

Comment

The easiest way to make a banner, is to slap a logo over a cropped screen shot.
      Not only does this illustrate what the game looks like, it also shows a game in action. No offense to Y#5 but that banner only says RUNEQUAKE. You dont normally see a shambler on dm2. I do agree with a rotating banner; one that is updated each page load. Something like a window to our little gaming world.
      So new visitors ould say "hmm, whats this?", or old players, "ah this is the right place..." etc...
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

maybe each showcased banner hyperlinks corresponding to the appropriate info, like "What is it?" "How do i get it" type things,it would link to.

QUAKE FONT <---Use that
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

im kinda interested to see BuurVrouw's take on a Q1 banner...
          SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
          THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
          sigpic

Comment

well if u guys are trying to retire the banner then i would suggest recaps from gg ss's send the best and have them bannerize it with some extra graphics for u, just a suggestion. this is for the rotating deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
              maybe each showcased banner hyperlinks to the corresponding to the appropriate info, like "What is it?" "How do i get it" type things,it would link to.
              This is actually a good idea. If we can get in-game screen shots of various clients with texture packs installed, different server mods, etc, I can stick some kind of small graphic in there that when clicked would give you info on how to get your game to look like that or where to play that mod, etc.

Several people have posted their ideas for banners in the past, but they have never met the required qualifications for me to simply drop it in place and have it work on the site.

The current graphic is here: http://quakeone.com/~images/header.jpg

If you look at the full graphic you'll see that the logo area only takes up a small portion of the graphic, and it's aligned to the left. The rest of the graphic is fairly blank. It also repeats to be ~ 1800px wide.

The banner MUST be 250px tall. The width can be anything, but it should be fairly wide to accommodate repeating for larger resolutions. The images should probably be jpeg to make for a manageable file size (making a huge sized gif or png will come at the cost of large file sizes). The current banner is ~ 33k.

If anyone wants to make banners, feel free to do so. If you want to tweak the logo, feel free. Post your examples in the Site Feedback forum. Maybe even start a new thread for each banner you make so people can give appropriate feedback on your banner (so we don't have 10 banners in a thread and feedback is all over the place).

Also, if you make a really nice logo, please keep a layered PSD file of it. If you're open to allowing us to use it, I can include the logo on other things we do, and having a layered PSD will help with resizing, blending with different background colors, etc.

I am 110% open for making a rotating banner, using various different styles from various people. I just don't have the personal time to sit down and attempt to make banners myself.

Comment

I'm re-canting my statement about rotating banners. I like the idea... But only for Quakeone.com and Gary's Mod.

I've worked on a Quakeone.com logo in the past but it didn't turn out pristine like I had hoped, maybe I'll try again!
                Last edited by Phenom; 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

No offense but the thumbnail image is no good. Small thumbnails do not show off the detail of the game and it looks "cheap" too.

Comment

Originally posted by Q -Mark [0!0]
                    Please Phen show me that
                    I'm about to hit the gym but I'll work on my idea of the logo (I had a dream I visited Quakeone.com and it had a badass theme and a logo that popped) then I woke up and went to look and was sadly met with an out of date logo and somewhat bland color theme.

I know Sole probably won't go for the idea of having textured background images on the block/post title's though I think it will make things pop more!

The logo however needs to be updated. R00k pinned it, it screams RUNEQUAKE! and needs to be much more versatile.

I'll leave Photoshop open so I'll remember when I get back
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

I will post what Solecord responded to me with about the banners so you guys that want to try and make some better ones, will have the guidelines to go by. These guidelines make it a little more difficult than just tossing up random images. I was going to make some more and still want to but have had little time lately to do anything quake related.

I am all for adding different banners up top. My original idea long ago was to have multiple banners and have them rotate based on month, week, or day (depending on how many we had).

The problem with your banners are the sizing. The banners have to be 250 pixels tall. They also need to be able to fit width-wise as the current one does. Basically have the logo in the upper left corner and open space to the right of it. It should be about 800-900 pixels wide with the ability to mirror the image to make the full size of the banner approximately 1800 pixels wide.

Here's the current banner - http://quakeone.com/~images/header.jpg - to use as a guide.

Comment

Here's my first entry. Needs some more work. expect more soon. Also I just now found the fancy high quality Shambler now I'm looking for a program to view/edit the model.

The border doesn't feel quite right to me, I might gritty it up a bit on this rendition.

QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Comment

Oh, i likey!
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                            Oh, i likey!
                            you know what i would like is if you came and played quake NOW! (r00k)

**edit** BTW nice banner (previous one on bottom of page 2)
                            Rambo[RuM]
                            I support:
                            Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                            Qrack - Thank You r00k
                            Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                            Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                              Oh, i likey!
                              Thanks, I'm trying to capture the raw feeling of Quake and the chaos/rage that it holds.

I cleaned up the Shambler's teeth a bit so they don't look so jaggy also. ("Cleaner teeth")

I'm thinking of making the text mimic the current Quakeone.com layout however.

How can I open a PK3 file and view the shambler ?md3? file? Thanks!
                              QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Comment

Working...
                              X