QuakeOne Page Width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuakeOne Page Width

Question for the community - do you prefer a fluid template or fixed size template?

Fluid = spans the width of your browser window. If you expand your browser window, the template expands with it (basically what the site does now)

Fixed = set width, doesn't change as you resize your browser.

Vote in poll. Post your thoughts/comments if any.
    Fluid (100% width)
    94.74%
    Fixed width
    5.26%

If fixed means a fixed forum width as well, then definately fluid.

I'm on a 30" LCD, sometimes I like to make the window a little wider to read forums, etc.. Typically though I have my browser open on my side LCD which is 1200 pixels wide.

Comment

Yes, fixed means fixed, a set number of pixels wide for the entire site.

Comment

I don't mind fixed so long as it's fixed at a reasonable size that means not having to scroll right under normal circumstances. I'd guess 1280 would be OK these days, but definitely nothing more. I appreciate that it can make design and layout a lot easier for you guys too. Otherwise fluid wins.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Any readily availible examples out there in internet land you can point to?

The idea is simple enough but I don't know how it would impact me, voting either direction.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I've always disliked fixed.
            Fixed on a very high res results in huge borders on each side and on lower res (cellphones/mp3 players come to mind) - that will give them a bottom scroll bar too which sucks. I know it does fix some display issues that can be caused by either a low res user or one who has a very high resolution.
            However viewing the site at 1920x1080 - site is fine, at 640x480 (modern cells are equal or above this) the site actually worked fine as is. The site always worked find on my BB8900, which had something like 360x240 res (I can't recall exactly). If I was on fixed - I'd have a massive scroll bar.

Only thing I'd like to see changed is for you or Baker to host a OFFICIAL banner "contest". Rules and all set by each of you and you guys select the ones you like and throw them into the mix and maybe color themes for the site which should be easy to do seeing as we only have 2 images for backgrounds - rest are html colors.

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
              I don't mind fixed so long as it's fixed at a reasonable size that means not having to scroll right under normal circumstances. I'd guess 1280 would be OK these days, but definitely nothing more. I appreciate that it can make design and layout a lot easier for you guys too. Otherwise fluid wins.
              +1 to MH

Comment

Fluid width...

Think about ALL the people using 640x680 still! (joking)

I really like the fluid layout though. I expect fixed width to be found on commercial websites not community websites.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Agree with Phenom.
                  Fixed does allow more strict design options as you don't have to worry about the resizing messing something up. That would be good here if we had a more "active" main page that's the main focus on the site. People are coming here for the forums mainly it seems.

@Phenom again - about the 640x480, we are in a more mobile world now though. So in the sense of PC's yeah no one uses that UNLESS they are using a (older) Netbook. Like my old eeePC's max res (without hacks) was 800x480 if I recall correctly. On the same note though too - mobile devices like MP3's (ex - iTouch) or Phones (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone) are also heavily used today for internet. I myself visited here many times on my BB8900.

Fluid imo is the better choice as it leave the site open to overall all users. Some still use lower resolutions. Back when I stayed with my Grandma for a bit - we HAD to keep it at 800x600 lol

Comment

I was wanting to vote ASCII text only, 80x50, maybe high ascii if possible.
                    ANSI color codes really slow down my modem....
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Most of the time, fixed width is a barrier to accessability.
                      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Working...
                      X