on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 427
9 members and 418 guests
Adam, ajay, dancar, Mathuzzz, Mr.Burns, Rampage, talisa, vegetous
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Help > Quake Clients > DarkPlaces/macOS Sierra: launching missions packs Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 01-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rotweiler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: doomgranpa is on a distinguished road
Currently: Offline
DarkPlaces/macOS Sierra: launching missions packs

Hello,
Do you know how to launch the missions packs with DarkPlaces/macOS Sierra? When I browse mods from the options menu, it shows me my apps in my Applications folder (!).
Another minor issue: the game does not recognize the numbers keys. I have to bind the weapons to other keys (same with ioQuake3/Quake 3 btw).
Any idea? Thank you for your help.
Regards.
Unread 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the rough
Hello doomgranpa,

Please follow this link to find a quick and easy solution.

If you want, you can also read this post for more information about loading mission packs or mods in general.

Best wishes,
Seven
Unread 01-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rotweiler
USER INFO »
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hello doomgranpa,

Please follow this link to find a quick and easy solution.

If you want, you can also read this post for more information about loading mission packs or mods in general.

Best wishes,
Seven
I already know those threads and they are not helpful since I run macOS. I've tried everything before posting my question.

Regards.

Last edited by doomgranpa; 01-13-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Unread 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rotweiler
USER INFO »
from DarkPlaces author

This is what the DarkPlaces author emailed to me (I guess he's the author. I have contacted the email in the readme given with the app):

"Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, you can make a couple copies of the DarkPlaces.app and rename them, then edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script inside them (specifically it's a bash
script named DarkPlaces.app/Contents/MacOS/darkplaces-osx-sdl) to add options to the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin commandline:
-hipnotic (to play Scourge of Armagon)
-rogue (to play Dissolution of Eternity)"

But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to? I would appreciate some help. Being unable to play the MPs make me sad/mad.

Thank you.
Unread 01-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about

if you feel handy with a [strike]text[/strike] HEX editor.

I don't have a mac and have never used one. I can't really help you beyond this. On the far left are addresses. If I'm in the correct spot (highly likely) get a hex editor, go to that address range and then ask somebody that knows more what you should be putting there....or figure it out. I got you in the pocket.

Note that lots of files like this rely on offset and length values to determine where a section begins and ends. Changing this file may be more complicated than simply adding some text and saving it.

Also note those "periods" are NUL (00)

Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-13-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Unread 01-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
If you just want it to work ...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 01-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by doomgranpa View Post
This is what the DarkPlaces author emailed to me (I guess he's the author. I have contacted the email in the readme given with the app):

"Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, you can make a couple copies of the DarkPlaces.app and rename them, then edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script inside them (specifically it's a bash
script named DarkPlaces.app/Contents/MacOS/darkplaces-osx-sdl) to add options to the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin commandline:
-hipnotic (to play Scourge of Armagon)
-rogue (to play Dissolution of Eternity)"

But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to? I would appreciate some help. Being unable to play the MPs make me sad/mad.

Thank you.
Hello doomgranpa,

First of all, you didnt mention Forest Hale´s first advice.
You only pasted his second advice beginning with:
Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, ...

What was his first advice ?

Now back to Forest Hale´s script editing solution:
You should of course not edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin file.
He wrote that you should edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script !
It is a bash script, just as he mentioned.
Please add your mission pack option in there.

Create 2 copies of the DarkPlaces.app folder. Rename them to DarkPlaces.app_hipnotic and DarkPlaces.app_Rogue. Edit the bash scripts accordingly as he mentioned.

Now, if you want to play mission pack 1, rename the original DarkPlaces.app into DarkPlaces.app_original and name the one you edit for hipnotic to DarkPlaces.app. Because this folder is the only one used by the engine. It will then follow/load your extended script and run the mission pack.

The file darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin supports all mission packs and mods. You do not need to edit it.

If you still have trouble running it, you can contact Forest for further assistance. Or use his 1st advice, whatever that was.

Of course you are free to use another Quake engine with more convinient mod support for MacOS just like Baker mentioned.

Good luck,
Seven
Unread 01-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
woops

But hey, I'm on a roll. I'm 2 for 2 on terrible Mac help...lol.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-14-2017 at 07:22 AM..
Unread 01-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
USER INFO »
But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to?

replace every $@ with your new commandline, I'd keep the quotes.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-14-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Unread 01-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rotweiler
USER INFO »
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hello doomgranpa,

Now back to Forest Hale´s script editing solution:
You should of course not edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin file.
He wrote that you should edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script !
It is a bash script, just as he mentioned.
Please add your mission pack option in there.

Create 2 copies of the DarkPlaces.app folder. Rename them to DarkPlaces.app_hipnotic and DarkPlaces.app_Rogue. Edit the bash scripts accordingly as he mentioned.

Now, if you want to play mission pack 1, rename the original DarkPlaces.app into DarkPlaces.app_original and name the one you edit for hipnotic to DarkPlaces.app. Because this folder is the only one used by the engine. It will then follow/load your extended script and run the mission pack.

The file darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin supports all mission packs and mods. You do not need to edit it.

If you still have trouble running it, you can contact Forest for further assistance. Or use his 1st advice, whatever that was.

Of course you are free to use another Quake engine with more convinient mod support for MacOS just like Baker mentioned.

Good luck,
Seven
Thank you, It makes more sense. The darkplaces-osx-sdl script file is more clear (only 10 lines)... but I still don't know where to add the line -hipnotic or -rogue (yes I suck at editing). I have tried randomly with no success (no sh1t).
Forest does no longer answer to me. I guess he has a life. His first advice was to browse mods from the options menu, which do not work.

Last edited by doomgranpa; 01-14-2017 at 08:02 PM..