on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 409
5 members and 404 guests
ArrrCee, Bloodshot, hgdagon, Trickle
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Help > Quake Clients > Getting Qrack to compile in Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) Video included! Search Forums

Closed Thread
LinkBack (5) Thread Tools
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM   5 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Travolta
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Phenom will become famous soon enoughPhenom will become famous soon enough
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Phenom Send a message via MSN to Phenom Send a message via Yahoo to Phenom
Qrack 1.60.1 Source + Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) Video included! [UPDATED 08/20/2010]

Welcome everyone,

In this guide I will be showing you my method of getting Qrack 1.60.1 compiled inside Linux (Ubuntu 9.10). While its pretty straight forwards to do, I understand most people who switch over to Linux haven't a clue when it comes time to compiling their own programs.

DEPENDENCIES FIRST!
required packages in order to properly compile Qrack 1.60.1 SRC!

Ok so I broke down and went an extra mile for you guys/gals and installed a fresh copy of Linux using Oracle VM VirtualBox and recompiled The Qrack source on a fresh no dependencies having Linux OS. Below are the required packages and if you're using Ubuntu I'll make it even easier by including the command to install them!

libpng12-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libjpeg-dev
libxxf86dga-dev
x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev
libxext-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
libsdl1.2-dev

Type this into your Ubuntu Terminal:
sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libjpeg-dev libxxf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev libxext-dev libxxf86vm-dev libsdl1.2-dev

The first step is to grab yourself some Qrack 1.60.1 Source code!

Head over to Quakeone.com's file section and download the qrack 1.60.1 src file from the handful of available links. Save it to a easy to remember spot (preferable your desktop) as we will soon be extracting all the contents to a folder and preparing ourselves to compile Qrack!

Once you've downloaded the qrack 1.60.1 src its time to extract the contents, right-click and select "Extract Here" which should extract all the contents of the compressed file onto your desktop (or wherever you chose to hide it), congratulations! Qrack 1.60.1 for Linux! Oh wait, compiling thats right!

Open a terminal and "cd" to the Qrack 1.60.1 folder (even noobs should know how to do this.) usually the command will be similar to "cd /home/username/Desktop/qrack-1.60.1-src"

Once you've cd'd into the Qrack 1.60.1 src directory its time to compile! cross your fingers then type "make release" (without quotations) and the compiling shall commence!

Once the compiling completes ( It probably compiled flawlessly right? hehe) you will have 3 new files inside your "/home/username/Desktop/qrack-1.60.1-src/quake" named qrack-glx, qrack-sdl and dzip. Copy all 3 files into your working Quake directory and double-click either qrack-glx or qrack-sdl.

NEED FULLSCREEN?
To get fullscreen working you'll need to to go a terminal, type in the full path to your newly compiled Qrack program you'll need to provide the path to your Qrack program and append "-fullscreen" to the end of the command.

Example of me running the command to use qrack-sdl in fullscreen from terminal.

/path/to/quake/qrack-sdl -fullscreen -width 1440 -height 900

just edit the path to quake to your actual quake dir then append the command for "-FULLSCREEN"

IN CASE OF ERROR!
Post the output of your "make release" to this forum if you receive any errors and I'll do my best to help you fix such issues. I am not a Linux guru however so let it be known!

Hope this helps and I will build onto this as questions get solved!

**Note***
/*Notice how I ran qrack-glx form the terminal*/
qrack-glx has a sound issue for me so I end up always using qrack-sdl which works great!

QuakeOne.com/qrack
Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Last edited by Phenom; 09-21-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Code Monkey
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: R00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura about
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to R00k Send a message via MSN to R00k
Sweet! I'll have to put my kubuntu machine back together and give that a shot.
Then I can at least add features between 1.60 - 2.0 into that version. I can tell ya real-time resolution switching will be a bugger, but things along the openGL line will migrate without any changes. There's also Quore, DarkPlaces, FitzQuake, and ProQuake available for Linux too!
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Travolta
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Phenom will become famous soon enoughPhenom will become famous soon enough
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Phenom Send a message via MSN to Phenom Send a message via Yahoo to Phenom
Thanks R00k! I've been looking to see an updates Qrack for Linux for a while now

DarkPlaces for Linux is pretty easy to use, just unzip and double-click... however I prefer Qrack over DP for Multi-player!

g-night!

QuakeOne.com/qrack
Great Quake engine

Unread 08-20-2010, 03:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
AAA
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: AAA is on a distinguished road
I will try this, looks easy, however I did try running DP and it did not run, that was in Kubuntu X64. Do u have to rename all the files to lower case letters?
I also wanna know how it runs compared to windows?
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Travolta
USER INFO »
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
I will try this, looks easy, however I did try running DP and it did not run, that was in Kubuntu X64. Do u have to rename all the files to lower case letters?
I also wanna know how it runs compared to windows?
the PAK.PAK files should be changed to all lower case (i.e pak0.pak) and the ID1 folder should also be lower case letters.

QuakeOne.com/qrack
Great Quake engine

Unread 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Defender
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: lxndr is on a distinguished road
Thanks Phenom for the demo.

Here a quick patch to make Qrack runs on 64bit:

http://quore.free.fr/download/qrack-1.60.1-src.patch

to apply it:

Code:
cd qrack-1.60.1-src && patch < ../qrack-1.60.1-src.patch
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Travolta
USER INFO »
Originally Posted by lxndr View Post
Thanks Phenom for the demo.

Here a quick patch to make Qrack runs on 64bit:

http://quore.free.fr/download/qrack-1.60.1-src.patch

to apply it:

Code:
cd qrack-1.60.1-src && patch < ../qrack-1.60.1-src.patch
Thanks for the contribution lxndr!

QuakeOne.com/qrack
Great Quake engine

Unread 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Travolta
USER INFO »
I'm double posting but at least I bring good news!

I've updated this guide to include the required dependencies and how to install them!

QuakeOne.com/qrack
Great Quake engine

Unread 08-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Quake Marine
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MaraST78 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by R00k View Post
Sweet! I'll have to put my kubuntu machine back together and give that a shot.
Then I can at least add features between 1.60 - 2.0 into that version. I can tell ya real-time resolution switching will be a bugger, but things along the openGL line will migrate without any changes. There's also Quore, DarkPlaces, FitzQuake, and ProQuake available for Linux too!
I haven't checked recently, but the last time I tried Fitz SDL, hmm, no.
But there is something for Fitzquake lovers - Quakespasm. I use it all the time, works great, compiles immediately. They even provide both 32 and 64bit binaries along the source. Great stuff.
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Code Monkey
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: R00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura about
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to R00k Send a message via MSN to R00k
Success! I've reinstalled Ubuntu 10 and followed your instructions and have Qrack compiled without any problems. I had to rename all files that used UPPERCASE (ID1, PAK0, PAK1), but now it runs! Though. my mouse doesnt aim for me even though m_look 1 is on. Yet I can shoot and jump with the mouse buttons, hmm. Also I cant seem to get it to go fullscreen. But hey at least I have a compiled version. I can now download CodeBlocks and start upgrading the Linux version from 1.60. Thanks again Phenom for the how-to, and the push to get Linux Qrack moving forward.
Closed Thread