on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 333
2 members and 331 guests
Lucifex
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Help > Quake Clients > Darkplaces Error Reporting Thread Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #101 (permalink)
DarkPlaces Author
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: LordHavoc is on a distinguished road
Currently: Offline
Sounds like you may need to use r_novis 1, if you do not have watervis'd maps for that pack.

The water mod may be using transparent textures and thus the engine's disabling of the r_wateralpha cvar is not enough to make it render okay without watervis'd maps, r_novis 1 works around this (at an fps loss).
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #102 (permalink)
Grunt Victim
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: frankpoole is on a distinguished road
Hey there. New to the forums. I've been running through Quake 1 and the mission packs using Dark Places and Epsilon and just hit a bump in the road. I don't know if this is an error with DP or not, but in MP2: r1m5, the shambler that spawns after hitting the last switch never shows up as well as the door to the exit not opening. Is there any way around this?
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #103 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: talisa has a spectacular aura abouttalisa has a spectacular aura abouttalisa has a spectacular aura about
@frank
hmm ive never heard of this problem, but it might be related to the same problem people have been having lately with the new DP builds
Originally Posted by JDSTONER View Post
When im playing a mod and things are not working i make a text file called autoexec.cfg and but this in it from the smc...

sv_gameplayfix_upwardvelocityclearsongroundflag "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
those cvars are by default disabled in the latest DP builds, which causes a lot of issues with items not showing up and such.

so try adding them to your autoexec.cfg and see if that fixes the problem
everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #104 (permalink)
Rotfish
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: prizeonex is on a distinguished road
I've been using Darkplaces for MacOSX and it has been working great. For some reason, when I open it now, it freezes on the loading screen and the only way I can get out of it is to hard-restart my computer. I haven't done anything significant to my computer, so I don't know why it suddenly can't load.

I deleted Darkplaces, downloaded it again, reinstalled it, and it still happens. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this?
Unread 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #105 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven has a spectacular aura aboutSeven has a spectacular aura aboutSeven has a spectacular aura about
A new beta has been released, which plays very good so far. Also performance-wise. It looks like a keeper for me.
Thank you LordHavoc
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #106 (permalink)
DarkPlaces Author
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: LordHavoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by prizeonex View Post
I've been using Darkplaces for MacOSX and it has been working great. For some reason, when I open it now, it freezes on the loading screen and the only way I can get out of it is to hard-restart my computer. I haven't done anything significant to my computer, so I don't know why it suddenly can't load.

I deleted Darkplaces, downloaded it again, reinstalled it, and it still happens. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this?
You can try going into your home folder and then into Library/Application Support and renaming the darkplaces folder to see if it is a configuration issue - the configuration is not part of the .app so reinstalling it won't lose your settings, but maybe this issue is related to your settings?

That said it sounds like a much more serious issue than just darkplaces being affected.
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #107 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: anyeos is on a distinguished road
*Models with alpha channel texture drawed with bad normals*
-The same model using a texture with alpha channel is drawed incorrectly. If the texture is opaque in the areas UV mapped, it is drawed not transparent but in some faces inverted (like if the normals was inverted), drawing it above other faces.
-Reeplace the texture of a model for one with alpha channel.
-I tested it with models made with Blender using the script mdl exporter (io_mesh_qfmdl-0.7.2). The texture inside the mdl file is working OK but it is not truecolor (it is some palleted I guess just as mdl expect). Using any external texture (png or tga) with alpha channel to override the internal mdl texture (using really the same file that I was using in Blender as texture, in Blender it shows correctly) produces the "bug".

Notes:
Maybe the mdl exporter is exporting the normals incorrectly. Maybe it only is present with transparent background (I will test what happens if I use a texture with alpha channel but full opaque background).
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #108 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven has a spectacular aura aboutSeven has a spectacular aura aboutSeven has a spectacular aura about
Hello anyeos,

I am not LordHavoc, but I want to *try* to help.
First of all, I do not fully understand your post.
What I understand is, that you have weird behaviour when using external diffuse + normal textures for your models in DarkPlaces.

This topic has been discussed several times at quakeone.
It is based on the alpha layer in the normal texture.

Rygel´s compilation for example used alpha layer in almost all of his model replacement normal textures. That is why they look wrong when using the offsetmapping feature in DP.
Also osjclatchford faced this issue in his model replacement normals.

Here are some examples of how an alpha layer in the normal texture can look like:
with / without

Tip:
To see the difference easier, make a key-binding with "parallax mapping on" and
make a key-binding with "parallax mapping off".
Stand in front of the object and press the keys alternating.
You will then directly see the effect of your normal texture in-game.

During that time, My-Key wrote a possible way to delete an alpha layer of a texture:
click

If this is the issue that you are facing, maybe this info helps you somehow.
If not, I am sorry that I do not fully understand your post. Hopefully somebody else can help you better.

Best of luck.
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #109 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: anyeos is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much for your help but I discovered the "error".
It happens when I use alpha in the skin.

For example: We have a torch model, so the fire must be some translucent but the rest of the torch is opaque. Well, when I use alpha channel in the skin, the fire shows correctly (I use gimp for example to make it translucent), but the opaque torch (full solid color) in some angles draw the backside over the frontside (like EF_DOUBLESIDED).

I guess it happens only when some alpha is present outside the mapped (UV mapped) areas. So I must use always opaque background for the unmapped areas? I guess.

I am not sure right now if it is present always using the alpha channel regardles of anything else or if it is pressent only when I put by mistake some alpha in the unmapped areas of the skin.

But what is clear is that it is related with the alpha channel of the skin.

And not, I am not talking about the normal map, I am talking about the standard (diffuse I guess) skin, no glow, no gloss, no normal, nothing more.

I talk about the normals of the triangles, that I guess are used to determine the side that must be drawn/shown to the viewer.

But the "bug" is like putting the effect EF_DOUBLESIDED. That maybe give you a better idea.
Unread 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #110 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
Hello anyeos,

Thank you for your additional description, now I have understood the issue.

Yes, as soon as you make the diffuse texture transparent (also only a small part of it), the "opaque" parts/areas of it will become slightly transparent in-game too.

I am not an experienced person, but I think there are at least 2 solutions for this:

1.) Use a .md3 model, with 2 different model parts/textures
One will be the model part which shall be totally opaque (with its own texture)
The other will be the transparent one (with its own texture)

2.) Use any .mdx model format you want + a shader.
You can for example use the original .mdl model and make your replacement texture for it partialy transparent.
Then add a shader which only draws the parts of the diffuse textures, with a certain value of transparency or less/more.

Something like this:
Code:
progs/soldier.mdl_0 { // cull disable // add this if you want to look "INSIDE" the soldier (with his back skin drawn !!) { map progs/soldier.mdl_0.tga alphafunc GE128 rgbGen vertex } dpshadow }
GE128 means that only parts of the texture with greater alpha values will be drawn.
There is also LT128 which draws only smaller alpha values.

Be aware, that a hard limit means, there is now 'fluent' alpha possible (for example from fully opaque to fully transparent). For this you must use alpha blending.

Nice Q3A shader descriptions can be found here or here for example. There are of course also others.

Best of luck,
Seven

PS: I made some quick screenshots with the above mentioned and this test skin:
(I simply made a hole into the soldiers chest)

Without shader (complete texture becomes slightly transparent):

With shader:

With shader + cull disabled keyword (you can see the "inside" (= backside) of the model through the hole):

Be also aware, that as soon as a texture is transparent, its model will not cast shadows anymore ! You have to use the dpshadow keyword to cast shadows again: