Originally Posted by dfsp_spirit
I'm working on a map and I'd like to release all the files needed with it once it's done so I looked into creating .loc files. Did this before for other games but I got a bit confused for q1/qw cause there seem to be different formats around so...
1) Is there a standard format that all modern/common clients read? Or if not, which formats should I supply?
2) Could you link me to a proper tutorial on howto create those?
3) Is there a difference between q1 and qw .loc files?
4) Which other files should I add? I already created a radar image of the map using bsp2bmp (though I'm not sure yet where to put it) as well as the .lit and .dlit files using the hmap2 compiler.
Unfortunately there are 2 standards for loc files:
1. The Quakeworld way (ezQuake, FTEQW, ZQuake, DarkPlaces)
2. The ProQuake way (ProQuake, Qrack, DarkPlaces)
There are about 160 loc files for Quakeworld, about 120 for the "ProQuake way".
The ProQuake way is harder to make, but far more accurate about your actual location (a series of 3d "boxes" defines where you are), the Quakeworld way is easier to make (a series of points, closest point matches).
Personally, I'd opt for the Quakeworld way as a priority because it is easier to get the Quakeworld community to play a custom map (the NQ community is more set on long-time favorite maps).