Visit QuakeOne.com On Facebook!Visit QuakeOne
on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 395
13 members and 382 guests
303, Adam, Blood Vengeance, Bloodshot, Bloughsburgh, daeel, Focalor, hgdagon, lennox, MissBubbles, nahuel, Tea Monster
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > WorldSpawn official WIP thread Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #101 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
I think I'm gonna figure out how to make particle masks. I think that's what it's called...I forget. Basically it's a sprite sheet of black and white blobs that define a range of particle shapes.

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably nothing more than a sprite sheet of alpha masks applied to a ?cube texture?...IDK. I'm brain farting right now on what all this stuff is called. I know the terms I'm just mentally preoccupied. Anyway, I'm going to figure out how to do it.
Unread 10-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #102 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
I think you mean particlefont. Not sure how it works exactly but yeah, it's basically a TGA. There's one inside the SMC if you want to look at an example. Actually, I'm not certain but there's probably one in vanilla Quake as well.
Unread 10-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #103 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
THAT!

yes that's what I was brain farting on.
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #104 (permalink)
USER INFO »
Man, I've been working on reconsidering my script with the future in mind, off and on, all day. I didn't realize how much code I have already written. This is a lot of work. I hope I'm making the right decisions.

I also can't find anything online regarding particlefonts in a tutorial/explanation sense. I guess when I finish refiguring my code I can try my alphamask spritesheet - cubemap way but, I bet that's all wrong. I'm really just taking what I do know and trying to slam together whatever parts make some kind of sense (in theory) to invent a solution. Generally when I do that I get something to work but it's terrible.

I wonder how literally I should take the term "font". Maybe all the answers are right there in that word. A character font is a collection of characters with a definitive style. So, is a particle font a collection of particles with a definitive style? All the particle fonts I have seen are white and black...is this really actually something I am already doing but with a colored font? I was considering the font as a mask to restrict the shapes an effect can make but, the more I think about this I think I am already using particle fonts.

IDFK...back to refiguring my code. I'll worry about particle fonts later.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-21-2016 at 11:37 PM..
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #105 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
@particlefont Ask Seven. He knows his stuff and is always willing to explain things.
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #106 (permalink)
USER INFO »
Yeah and he hates my guts... I basically leave him completely alone out of respect for his opinion of me.

BUT!!! He doesn't hate YOUR guts [hint hint]
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #107 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
Oh, OK. I can always ask him if there's a tut about particlefonts "for a friend", if you want. You can also try to dig into the SMC yourself, his mod is well documented.

What about Baker, does he hate you too? He worked on particles for Quakespasm-Spiked (I think I may have mentioned this before).
Unread 10-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #108 (permalink)
USER INFO »
I just don't know what a particle font is supposed to do. If I knew that I could probably figure the rest out. You don't really have to ask Seven "for a friend". I was joking more than anything.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-22-2016 at 01:10 AM..
Unread 10-22-2016, 01:11 AM   #109 (permalink)
USER INFO »
WorldSpawn Noir - perfectly weighted - my engine has no clue what an lmp is

set with "noir":true in descriptor.

my method will noir every texture in the map. If I had bsp models, they would be noir'ed too.
This was too simple - nothing but a custom saturation applied to the texture before it's set as a material.
1 line of code.

it's a hell of a line though.
Code:
var rc:Number = 0.30; var gc:Number = 0.59; var bc:Number = 0.11; bmd.applyFilter(bmd, bmd.rect, new Point(), new ColorMatrixFilter([rc, gc, bc, 0, 0, rc, gc, bc, 0, 0, rc, gc, bc, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0]));
I know you're thinking "That's 4 lines."
No it's not. Storing 3 numbers doesn't count as 3 lines to me. They don't count at all. I could have just as easily wrote the numbers directly into the function.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-22-2016 at 01:24 AM..
Unread 10-22-2016, 01:28 AM   #110 (permalink)
USER INFO »
heh, due to how I program and unify, this means replacements get noir'ed too right out of the box

Pretty cool what you can do with one line of code, right?