on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 345
3 members and 342 guests
siger, TheKillingJoke
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > WorldSpawn official WIP thread Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
Let's goof off for a minute

Above is very obviously 2 brushes. I know from clicking it that it is model 7.

And there we have it. Multiple-brush entities have been unified.

Here is another example that achieves the exact same result. What this is meant to illustrate is that instead of modifying anything in the bsp creation script, the entity can be modified externally, and it's model index from entities_t serves as it's child position in the world.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-29-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: nahuel will become famous soon enoughnahuel will become famous soon enough
MadGIpsy, what about incorporate some gl stuff?

syluxman2803
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
@nahuel

I'm getting there.

I tell you what. I will give a good effort after I take a shower to pound out some kind of particle trail thingy that you can "fire" before I go to sleep. Keep in mind, I don't even know where to begin but, I'll figure something out.

:starts shower water::brews coffee:
Unread 09-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
USER INFO »
heads up:

I got pretty far with this last night but, I was unable to finish before bed. I didn't want to drop a big slop ball in my code just to make something work real quick. I had to go over other classes and consider how the code should be positioned within my source and then I started writing the code from the abstract idea end. I have a little bit of the concrete idea written but, there is more to do. I believe I should have this wrapped up in a "groundwork" way before the end of the night.

I haven't rounded off the code in a way that will allow me to test it either so, this is either gonna work or it's really not gonna work, lol. It'll work...probably.
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
USER INFO »

OK, It works and it doesn't work. I kept nailing the fire button til it crashed and got stuck in space so I could move around it and look at it. It totally fires away from you like you would expect. That's not the problem. The problem is, if you are inside of the map, you can't see it...???? Where you start in e1m1 the edge of the map is right behind you. I have fired my "rocket" and backed up real quick. Once I leave the map I can see the rocket, but while in the map I cannot. This makes no sense.

Here is a shot right after I fire. The 2 little hearts on the far left are from the other frozen rocket trail trying to complete it's animation. I'm not worried about those little issues that can be probably very easily tightened up. I need to figure out wtf is making this invisible if the camera is inside of the bsp.

one more with a little wait before hitting prtscn

I'm not trying to make "Poker Quake" or anything. This is just a hair better than "Hello Rocket". The particle trail slowly falls and fades out as it is being made.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-30-2016 at 08:46 PM..
Unread 10-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
USER INFO »
I semi-figured out my problem. As it turns out commenting out all the ParticleFollowNode code fixes my problem but, it creates a new one. Not a big one but, I lose the particle trail. Currently, the away3d ParticleFollowNode script is over my head. I have looked over it for a while but, I honestly have no idea what part of the code is making the "rocket" invisible within the map bounds. There is an awful lot of code and it's almost entirely AGAL (adobe graphics assembly language).

I'm going to tighten my code up (not the above, that's ParticleFollowNode from away3d code) as much as possible tonight and move on to other things.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-01-2016 at 05:54 PM..
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
USER INFO »

I tightened the script up quite a bit. It totally works inside a map. However, this version is a pretty long range "weapon" so I chose to go way out in the skybox so I could better represent some stages. This will not break by speed tapping fire. Every time you hit fire a new dictionary entry is made storing the new bullet, the current time + 2000 and the current camera forward vectors. It's probably impossible to get anywhere even close to filling the dictionary in 2 seconds even if you just held down fire (which will currently rapid fire). At the end of the 2 seconds the bullet completely destroys itself and is removed from the dictionary.

It's still starter-kit stuff but, it is improved starter-kit stuff. I made sure my script could easily be extended to be more advanced, without having to fight with the current class or overriding it to death.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-01-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Unread 10-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
USER INFO »
This is more about trying to find good settings for cam studio than anything but, here is a little vid of me "firing bullets"

Unread 10-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
USER INFO »
Doing now/today:

mouse lock (fullscreen-only) - allows the mouse to be used for freelook without mouse-down interaction, by essentially making the screen infinite. ie, moving the mouse to a border does not "max" mouse co-ordinates. This can only be used in fullscreen because flash does not allow me to use the mouseLock feature in windowed mode. There is pretty much no way around this. Imagine: you are in windowed mode, you move the mouse past the player bounds and click to fire...you have just lost focus on the player. Because flash tries (and does a good job) of not overriding common system features, there is no way for me to completely hijack the cursor and lock it to the player bounds or any other such thing.

rework CompactSubGeometry - when I posted about interleaved buffers on numbersix's thread I realized that Away3Ds CompactSubGeometry is wasteful for my needs. The implication of this rework is deep and huge. changing -

[v,v,v,n,n,n,t,t,t,u,u,u2,u2] to [v,v,v,u,u,u2,u2] will need to be cascaded throughout numerous points in the API and I promise you I am going to break the fuck out of this about 100 times before I get it to work. However, I will do this without modifying the API at all. I will clone all the necessary classes, rework them and point my engine to the clones. This way, if I ever need normals/tangents in my comSubGeo, I can simply make an exception and point my code to the originals.

More aggressive compacting - currently anything that is not worldspawn is compacted. I think an exception should be made within my texture batches that's something like

if(((vertices.length/3) * 7) < 65536) compact = true;

the /3*7 part is to accommodate this [v,v,v,u,u,u2,u2] (7 indexes per vert - once I rework comsubgeo)

I'm moving right along so, hopefully this stuff will be done in a few hours (EXTRA HOPEFULLY reworking compactSubGeo)

oh I added a crosshair. It's stupid and lame but, my method is always groundwork/advance/optimize/extend. I'm at groundwork on this one.

It's a hair too high because I told bullets to start a little lower than the center of the screen but, I didn't tell the crosshair to do that. For good reason, too. The crosshair shouldn't be hardcoded to be anywhere. The crosshair should be flexible due to what you expect the current bullet type to do. That's why this is lame and stupid. It's just a picture of a crosshair centered on the screen (currently).

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-03-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Unread 10-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
USER INFO »

sweet! For this map at least, I am now using 59 compacted buffers instead of 177 non-compacted ones. It all depends on how many verts are in a texture batch for compacted results but, in the case of e1m1 at least, the entire world can be compacted. However, until I rework compactSubGeometry I am actually using double the verts.length with "zero data" due to tangents and normals being stored in the compact buffer. I looked at the code I need to rework. All I can say is...:sigh:. It's a whole fuckin lot.