Visit QuakeOne.com On Facebook!Visit QuakeOne
on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 398
14 members and 384 guests
303, Adam, Blood Vengeance, Bloodshot, Bloughsburgh, daeel, Focalor, hgdagon, lennox, MissBubbles, nahuel, talisa, Tea Monster
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > WorldSpawn official WIP thread Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 10-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
Remember this from a couple of days ago? That's the bounds for every texture batch and every entity.

While digging through all of the Geometry and Mesh related classes to gain the scope so I can modify it, I realized some things about how the Away3D API is assembling things. I broke my lightmaps in transition but, look at the new results (regarding bounds).

I'm about to get on to fixing the lightmaps. After that I have a new gameplan to pursue. Now that worldspawn is considered one big entity I can completely get rid of it's bounds (or at least shrink them down to practically nothing and move them completely out of the map). The reason is simple. For whatever reason, "rocket trails" do not like being visible inside of a another models bounds while the camera is also in that models bounds. If I invalidate the worldspawn bounds the "rocket" won't know it's inside of anything. I don't need the worldspawn bounds because collision detection is done through the bsp nodes.
Unread 10-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Oh...the implications go beyond worldspawn. Remember this

Even though that is acting as one, it is still considered 2. Ignore my currently borked lightmaps and notice that now entities really are 1.

Unread 10-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
I won't pretend I understand anything of what you're saying here, it just looks like quite the phenomenal optimisation.

Nice new signature. Is it Megadeth? It's been ages since I've listened to Rust In Peace but I remember a similar line in Holy Wars... The Punishment Due.
Unread 10-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
USER INFO »
Thank you!

@megadeth - yeah

@ what I'm saying

Imagine if you had a map that was only 2 textures (regardless of the amount of faces). In my old method that would be 2 different models (one for each texture). Now however, (assuming both textures were part of one entity) the 2 textures become 2 subModels of 1 model. It's not so much an optimization as it's just better organized. Now, I can talk about worldspawn in my code as a whole instead of 50zillion independent models.

Unfortunately though there is a bug. My code is right but the lightmaps are fucked up. Somewhere in Mesh/SubMesh my secondary UVs are getting lost. I didn't write the (Sub)Mesh codes, Away3D did so, I have to solve an error they made. It's weird though cause some of it is right. All that red in my pictures is because my lightmaps color deadspace red. So, the lightmaps are definitely "working". The secondary UVs aren't...sometimes. I'll figure it out.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-03-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Unread 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
Cool! I was sad to hear about Nick Menza. He was one helluva drummer. Rest in peace... Polaris.
Unread 10-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
USER INFO »
sigh... I have come all the way from the top of the renderer to the bottom of subgeometry and every super and interface along the way, I cannot find the glitch with lightmaps.

it's kind of pissing me off...
Unread 10-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
USER INFO »
Hell Bent - Never Relent

I know what you may be thinking... "It's still broke". Well, sort of. Any texture with a transparency less than (1) is broke but, it's not really broke. It's just, not fixed. It will be though. Ya see, all of those transparencies are set with something like material.alpha = .5 and material.alphaBlending = true....

The lightmaps work...all of them. The lightmaps are set with a shader via material.addMethod(new QLightmapMethod())

so, I need to change (ex) material.alpha = .5 to material.addMethod(new QWaterMethod())... as soon as I actually code that method. And everything will be fixed. If for some reason that doesn't fix it, I have already thought of a number of other solutions.

1 solution could be utilized perceiving this is a mixed contents problem and simply separating SOLID, LIQUID & CLEAR brushes into their own meshes. This assumes that the problem I am actually having here is that materials can't have different transparencies within a singular mesh but, that doesn't mean they can't have the same semi-transparency within a separate mesh.

This map will be 1 bound per entity whether it likes it or not.

EDIT: I totally spaced about what I did to fix lightmaps. I was never able to find the mistake in the away3d code (it's there somewhere) so, I wrote a function in Mesh that populates the geometry and submeshes vectors a different way. I didn't change my code at all, other than to point it at the new function.

EDIT2: about what I said regarding separating the brushes. Of course that will work cause it will just be reverting un-lightmapped surfaces back to the way I was already doing it BUT before they would have been further segregated by texture. In this case they would be segregated by transparency. It should still work. I'm not going to do this unless I can't solve it with a shader. Essentially this way would split worldspawn into 2 entities (liquid/solid). Invisible entities are already their own entity.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-04-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Unread 10-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
USER INFO »

Due to the last edit of my previous post, I realized something. All those triggers were not a mixed content situation. They are their own entity and the alpha was still not working. The solution was simple. I told parent meshes to inherit the material of their last processed submesh. Submesh materials override it's parent material so, assigning the parent a texture does nothing to the submesh. Except, by now having a material of it's own with the same transformations as it's children, well...you can see in the pic.

Unfortunately, this approach does not work in a situation where there really are mixed contents. My only compromise is that liquid is it's own entity. No matter how many different liquids, they are one entity. What you are seeing above is the submesh for liquid inheriting the need of a lightmap and there is no lightmap for liquid so the texture has a lightmap of "NO_TEX".

By converting all liquids to one mesh and using my same trick from above with assigning it's parent the same material. I get transparency back. The slime and the water are "one".

I think the final results are pretty clean. The only thing outside of what I wanted to accomplish is having the water separate. I can live with that. Liquid could easily be made to flood or drain. Not independently, though.

compare

This was all probably one of those "million hornet" situations baker described in my other thread. Those lil' bitches never win.

Now, I'm going to practically remove the bounds for water and worldspawn and add "rocket-trail" to my "bullet", which should work when it and the camera have no bounds to simultaneously occupy. I intended to make my "rocket-trail" first so, I will test it before removing any bounds. Maybe the problem was that it didn't like being in a shitload of bounds simultaneously. Bounds definitely have something to do with it due to one simple fact. Outside of bounds it works, inside bounds it doesn't but, like I said, I was in tons of bounds so, we'll see if that was the problem first.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-04-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Unread 10-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
USER INFO »

Well, I made a cheap rocket-trail and I told the map that it's bounds are that sphere. Shit still doesn't work inside the map.
Unread 10-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
USER INFO »

I told you it had something to do with bounds. Since "nullifying" the worldspawn bounds didn't work. I "nullified" the rockets bounds. I'm sure this is gonna be some kind of a problem later. I'll worry about that when I get to it.

note: I know my "rocket trail" is terrible. That's not the point.