on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 383
6 members and 377 guests
303, DeathMaster, NightFright, SpecialBomb, vibok
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > Retroquad Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 10-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mega Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
Currently: Offline
Thanks Seven. Not only do you do great work, but on top of that you're a well of knowledge and info. What would we do without you?
Unread 10-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: mankrip is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
mankrip needs the latter. It seems he didnt implement replacement model support yet. He will surely work on this later
Replacement models can be used, as long as they're in regular BSP or MDL format, and stored in a path that follows the vanilla Quake hierarchy.

I've got some replacement BSP ammo boxes somewhere, but I've stopped using them when implementing support for the QRP HD textures, because it's easier to figure out texturing glitches when using the vanilla models. I'll try the replacement item BSPs again later.

So far, support for MD3 isn't in my plans.

By the way, liquid surfaces and skies still doesn't support HD textures, but I'll work on it. But they won't support additive luma textures, only alphamasked luma textures.

And a semi-important note: For Retroquad, external textures must either have power-of-two dimensions, or exactly the same dimensions as the internal textures in the BSP file. This is because non-power-of-two textures must be rendered through surface caches. I'm resizing the non-power-of-two textures through GIMP, and the results looks fine in the game.

Support for external textures in MDL models, SPR sprites and 2D images (menus, HUD, text, etc.) won't be implemented yet, because my current focus is on the BSP renderer.
Unread 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
If you would like all the answers to md3 parsing, to where you can "almost" copy/paste my code in yours, I can strip my parser and give you the meat and potatoes of it. Of course there will be some porting on your part but, I have ported numerous C(whatever) scripts to AS3, I don't see where it would be all that complicated to go the other way. Mostly it would be converting constants to enums, "." to "->", Vector.<Object>[n] to struct + n, while(true)...continue to :label...goto label and moving types from the end to beginning as an equivalent (ie num:Number is float num, etc). Other than that the syntax is pretty much identical. Of course you'll have to allocate some memory cause AS3 doesn't do that but, that's small beans.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-31-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Unread 11-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
Thanks, but it's not just about parsing. The whole MDL renderer needs refactoring, all the way down to the lower-level triangle rasterization routines.

There's a lot of improvements to be made before support for other model formats can be considered.
Unread 11-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »

Still need to do some more editing on the textures for the big shell boxes, the rockets, and the thunderbolt cells.

Improved the mipmap system, with up to 16 mipmap levels. The highest level used by QRP HD textures is 12.
Unread 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
It looks really good.
Unread 11-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
A comparison:

Darkplaces

Retroquad, mipscale 1

Retroquad, mipscale 0.5

0.5 is the new default in Retroquad. I've decided upon it after testing through several different maps with a wide range of texture styles.
Unread 11-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
USER INFO »
I went over all of your images and stared at them very hard... why is it so grainy? I ask this cause, I just made an "any-image-to-palette-miptex" thing and there is no grain in my images. Often times they look identical to the original.

example - where the top is the original HD texture and the bottom is the redraw-from-palette mipped versions

edit: here is a side by side to illustrate what I'm saying. The image in my app window is my 8bit version of the HD texture. I'm only asking this in order to understand why your textures are so much different than mine.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-13-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Unread 11-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
MadGypsy: Mipmaps are static 2D images. The needs of color conversion for static 2D images are extremely different from the needs of color conversion for realtime 3D scenes.

More specifically, the texture filtering in Retroquad isn't a bilinear color filter, but a texel coordinate dithering filter. The basic concept is inspired by the dithering filter in the Unreal 1 software renderer, but improved and expanded to several different kinds of data. Fabien Sanglard's Quake 2 source code has a simple and easy implementation.

And also, your method only worked well because the colors of the QRP textures are very close to the colors of the Quake palette. But here are some examples of why dithering is also needed in general-purpose color quantization.
Unread 11-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
A very important note: If you look at Retroquad using a TV, in most cases it will look significantly more grainy than it should.

By default, most TVs nowadays are preconfigured for enhancing the visuals of low-res poorly-encoded movies. This means that they apply a lot of image filtering, which almost always looks bad for Retroquad.