on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 355
6 members and 349 guests
303, mankrip, Mr.Burns, Pandora, vibok
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > alpha: spirit1dm2 -- Ultima ratio Search Forums

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: dfsp_spirit is on a distinguished road
Currently: Offline
beta: spirit1dm2 -- Ultima ratio

EDIT: The final version has been released so leave your comments in there.

Hi there,

here's my first try to create a serious 1vs1 map for Quake 1. I gotta admit I'm not much of a q1 player but I recently rediscovered the game and thought it would be fun to make a map for it.

I know you guys here are hardcore q1 players so I'd like to ask for your opinion on it. Constructive criticism is very welcome and since the map is in an early stage of development I'm open to change things.

Enough talk for now, a screenshot never hurts:

Lighting is a placeholder, same applies to textures. I want to get the gameplay done first.

Direct download link: get spirit1dm2 alpha2
More screenies, info and readme: spirit1dm2 info

I already played the map against a friend (3 hours non-stop) and it's not complete BS imo. Maybe it's a bit too small or it needs a bit more cover. I'm also not 100% happy with the MH/RL area. Maybe somebody in here has a suggestion on that?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by dfsp_spirit; 11-18-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Updated thread title (alpha -> beta)
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
I'm too busy to test a map (time constraints of life) but I will say that your screenshot looks very nice.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: metchsteekle is on a distinguished road
looks like a nice clean shaven map, i must test soon... but like baker my hands are tied via the chains of life atm :S
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
Yeah, I know these kind of problems.

Does anybody have a suggestion on where to post the map to get some feedback? And is there a review website or map database for q1 (something like LvL for q3 or map-factory for other games) where people post final versions of their maps?
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
There are 2 places that might be better to get feedback.

1. Func_msgboard Func_Msgboard: Latest News (the mapping center of Quake)
2. Quakeworld.nu QuakeWorld.nu - Your portal to everything Quake! (they play deathmatch, deathmatch, deathmatch and more deathmatch)

[One problem to be prepared for: Quake already has a megaton of DM maps. At least with new singleplayer maps, it offers a new experience. New DM maps have to be super-fancy in the screenshot department to get attention because everyone has 10-15 that are their established favorites.]

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
Thanks for the links. I know about func_msgboard of course, good idea nevertheless! I'll also try that other website.

On the favourites: that's true for most games, though q1 may be an extreme. But if the game is like 6 months old, players have usually found their 5-10 favourite maps as you said. If you want playtime, your map has to be very good and it has to be released asap after the SDK for the game is available.
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
Ah yea!

So I see that you are the "famous" Spirit who is the maker of fine FPS maps for Quake 3 and other "more cool" FPS games who oftens gets confused with Quake 1's "famous" Spirit who is the maker of Quaddicted, map archives and otherwise is one of the most potent forces of organization and good deeds in Quake.

You certainly have all the skills that any mapper needs to be successful; I already was aware of the beauty of your works.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I do know that for a DM map to be successful in Quake it needs to break the mold in some department (qtdm3 attracted attention because it was a void map; schloss because of the high resolution texture set).

It doesn't necessarily have to be beautiful (but that helps) but it certainly needs to be different.

Well, either way welcome to the QuakeOne forums. I recommend that you pimp your work in progress not only here, but func_msgboard and definitely Quakeworld.nu and for extra credit you could pimp it at Inside3d.com.

Unread 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Spirit is on a distinguished road
IMPOSTER!

I so got to find some other cool nick some day. Already thought "oh noes, yet another spirit" because of your new prefix but then I was relieved to see that mapper one who actually releases stuff.

quakeone.com surely is the most new map friendly place there is, your map seems meant for QW though (the slope jumps would be super hard in NQ, or is that completely similar?). quakeworld.nu might give you some publicity but unless you hang out in IRC 24/7 and network with all the cool kids, there is not a big chance to get the map played. I suggest you find whoever was thinking about relaunching the Kenya tourneys soon, there was a post. Those guys and the participants are open-minded for sure. Also spam it in #qwrookie in Quakenet (I'll do that too).

The map seems fun but not my type. Too open for me. Reminds me of that crazy catwalk one.
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
@Baker: Thanks for the nice words. From time to time I meet people in forums or on IRC who played one of my maps and liked it but I'm not really good, let alone famous. I doubt that my maps get a lot of playtime. If q2w ever gets popular, lilith may. I like that one.

Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
IMPOSTER!
Hehe, ofc I heard about you before, saw your website and knew that something like this would happen as soon as I'd dive into Quake 1. Nice to finally to meet you.

Btw, I had a look around and it seems you didn't release any maps named spirit1dm*. Do you think it's ok if I name my maps like that?

I so got to find some other cool nick some day.
I had that idea more than once. But once some people know you under your nick and you're used to it and got like 100 accounts on different forums with it, it's hard to change... Guess I'm too lazy to change it so I decided for that prefix. I've been using it for quite a while whereever the other nick was already taken. Hope the confusion won't be too bad.

quakeworld.nu might give you some publicity but unless you hang out in IRC 24/7 and network with all the cool kids, there is not a big chance to get the map played. I suggest you find whoever was thinking about relaunching the Kenya tourneys soon, there was a post. Those guys and the participants are open-minded for sure. Also spam it in #qwrookie in Quakenet (I'll do that too).
OK, thanks for the tips. I'll show up in #qwrookie soon.

quakeone.com surely is the most new map friendly place there is, your map seems meant for QW though (the slope jumps would be super hard in NQ, or is that completely similar?). The map seems fun but not my type. Too open for me. Reminds me of that crazy catwalk one.
Yeah, it was made for and tested with qw, but as I said I may change things. Good to hear that my observation that it may lack some cover was right. I'm thinking about ways to improve that a bit but if you don't like open maps at all, this one's not gonna be yours I guess.

Last edited by dfsp_spirit; 09-25-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: quotes were kinda messed up
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Spirit is on a distinguished road
Hey, we ran into eachother before at quake.de if I recall correctly.

It's not like I will ever release any proper map (apart from speedmapping) so you should not care at all about it.

PS: I really like your Q3 CTF map, play it with bots every now and then.
Closed Thread