on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 343
3 members and 340 guests
silverjoel
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Mod Releases > Works-In-Progress > Universal Server Project Search Forums

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 12-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
Universal Server Project

Universal Server Project

Summary:
One server runs EVERY MOD. Voteable by players.

Features:
All maps votable. All mods votable. Anything you want, anywhere you are. The favorites plus mods you have never played. Utilizes ProQuake/Qrack map download --- you don't need the files.

Almost done. Was hoping for today or yesterday. Looks like Tuesday, December 29.

Pilot Servers:
Chicago and New York. Courtesy of Master Splinter and Kathos

Benefits:

Want to play Rocket Arena? Slide? AirQuake? ThreeWave? Team Fortress? Have you ever played Zerstorer deathmatch (me neither) and killed other players with a chain saw or Zerstorer's "Riot Controller"? Have you ever played Qmatrix? NQ Team Fortress? Want to have 200 maps available? It is.

Something that has, in a way, been killing this community is the lack of diversity in what is available to play. A lot of mods aren't hosted on servers or might be on some server you ping poorly on. They aren't available for the most part; and not popular enough to merit their own server or at least that is a big risk. With this, there is no risk because if no one wants to play a certain mod, it runs something else unless the players vote a different mod.

We think of servers as "this kind" or "that kind" and if the mod a server is running isn't popular enough to merit it's own server, no one is going to pay to have it up.

Quake has a ton of variety, but the limited access to this stuff is a killer. It causes people to not play because they don't have anything that interests them available or it isn't hosted where they want it.

In addition, the clients have not in the past had map download capability or a server browser.

ProQuake 4.01

And the lack of a server browser does 2 things:

1. You can't easily find what servers have players on them.
2. New players expect a server browser.

The lack of a server browser means that no one is going to find a game going on a less common server.

These new servers will be up and running by Tuesday, I was hoping to have them done yesterday or today, but working on the fine details has been a pain and I won't have any time this weekend.

But this also means something else: if worthy new mods are developed, they can be available on a server too.

There is one catch ... the mods have to have the source code available, so some "dead mod" with no source code is going to remain dead. Mods with open source codes will live on and be coming to a server near you.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Last edited by Baker; 12-25-2009 at 01:53 PM..
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: spooker is on a distinguished road
amazing work bakemaster
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Death Lord
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: gnounc is on a distinguished road
Exciting : )
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enforcer
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: BizarroEvade is on a distinguished road
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to BizarroEvade Send a message via AIM to BizarroEvade
Nice work. Now to hope it doesn't get forever stuck on cax dm3.
Unread 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: spooker is on a distinguished road
it will alternate between CA DM3 and runequake start/e1m7
tyranny of the majority
Unread 12-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: metchsteekle is on a distinguished road
... and then there's me
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: dfsp_spirit is on a distinguished road
Sounds good. Do you intend to distribute the server packages and are these servers running on Windows or Linux atm?
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
Sounds good. Do you intend to distribute the server packages and are these servers running on Windows or Linux atm?
Server packages: After some road-testing, yes.

These 2 servers happen to be running Windows. This would run under Linux as well, but since my Linux machine broke I don't have a means of compiling the Linux server with the 1 necessary change to support this feature.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Polarite will become famous soon enough
Like always Nice work Baker !

port 26000 EuroQuake

newyork.quakeone.com

port 26000 : FFANY New York
port 26001 to 26006

fvf.servequake.com

damage.servequake.com

port 26000 Damage_UK
port 26001 Damage_Coop
port 26005 Damage_CRCTF
port 26006 Damage_CRMOD

flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
Offline ATM

newdm.servequake.com
newdmny.servequake.com

port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Mr.Burns will become famous soon enough
Just to echo Pol's comment that's really great work Baker.
Just one query, would this only work with server side mods? I only ask this as a number of players on the european servers like to try different maps and mods to try and keep the game interesting and fresh, and rather than Pol having to put up x servers this might be a helpful solution for him. Assuming the clients connecting to these servers had the required files for a client side mod, such as Painkeep, if the majority of players decided to "vote-Painkeep" to change the current mod would it work? If this is not currently the case but you intend to add mods such as Painkeep (and/or the server sidem mod Deathmatch plus) let me know as I can furnish you with the source to both.

Kind regards and keep up the good work (we really do appreciate it)

Monty
NEWS : The new Quakeone file repo is now available, so click here to satisfy all your Quake 1 multiplayer needs
Closed Thread