A work in progress of a remake of the Plasma Cannon from Scourge of Armagon. Now I am not keeping 100% faithfulness to the pickup model. I am working on it to be so when you look at it - you know it's the laser cannon and recognizable to it - but some cosmetic differences.
TEST VERSION RELEASED:
<Download Removed - Final being released shortly>
Started it late last night and only about a hour into progress. Barrels are "done".
Progress will be updated in this first post.
Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 01-11-2011 at 05:51 PM..
it looks nice; even at this early stage... i'm looking forward to the final version. however, there is something i don't quite like about the q1 weapons - gun models are centered and aim straight forward. i think that especially this weapon with long barrels would look nicer if you move the gun off the centre. just like in the other games in which the guns are moved to the right/left and you can see one side of the guns. i understand that q1purist would consider this change a heresy :-)
i guess there must be some variable in darkplaces that handles the position of the gun, or em i wrong and the position/direction settings of the gun is part of the model itself?
is it correct that you use a different length for all 3 barrels ?
Or do my eyes play tricks with me ?
You surely know, that the original had only 1 looking forward.
Also the laser shot are same this: 2 fire in parallel and one single is earlier.
I think this would look strange if your barrels move different compared to the laser.
I would suggest to make it like the original. But its just a remark of course.
if ooppee makes the animation within the md3 file,
it will be easy to move it in QME afterwards (after converting to mdl).
But as long as I know ooppee, he will have a separate framegroup file, which makes it impossible (at leat for me).
No it's just the angle of the image. The bottom 2 barrels are the exact same length, top is pushed back more - the shot on the far left (tallest shot) is of all 3 barrels. The other bottom you can just see peeking - however it's the exact length of the other.
As for the framegroups part. Until I find out how to fix the animation bug without using it - all of my models will sadly have it. I tried inside3d and got no real answer how to fix it.
@Seven - actually the animations are still in the md3 - the framegroups file just tells the game to start on frame 1 instead of 0. Without it - I get the bug of the model going into "rigging pose" at the first frame of animation. I should take a look into some md3 editors and see if I can remove just frame 0 - doing that will fix the framegroups issue. Any program that can open md3's can open any model I use - but you need to delete frame 0
Done the design aspect. Now onto optimization. After that textures, rigging and animating.
I changed the back of the model's design from the original. However kept it recognizable. I also added a "fire button" to the back handle - of course you will only see this on the pickup model.
I should take a look into some md3 editors and see if I can remove just frame 0 - doing that will fix the framegroups issue. Any program that can open md3's can open any model I use - but you need to delete frame 0
Npherno's MD3 Compiler is a simple tool in which you can easily edit frames.
I used this to fix the animation issue with the grunt and enforcer models and it worked.