on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 357
2 members and 355 guests
303, UNR3AL S0LDI3R
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Chat-O-Rama > Syntax Hilighting Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 12-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
Syntax Hilighting

Dutch and I were chit-chatting in a PM and syntax hilighting came up. It got me thinking "What style syntax hilighting do Spike and Baker use?". I tossed around some guesses in that PM based on your personalities but, they'll never be more than a guess and I'm curious if I'm right. I'm pretty confident that neither of you program in anything that resembles my bowl of fruit loops but I'd like to see it.

If you have a second, take a screenshot of your environment and post it. Really, anyone can participate in this if they want.

Everybody has seen mine to death but, I'll post a screen anyway to participate

Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: so many errors
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
comments green, strings red, reserved words blue everything else black.

C isn't very fancy

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
So, for you I was wrong.

I said that you probably use a dark background with an "elegant" hilight. Elegant was not a good choice of words though cause I really meant minimal.

@C not fancy
What does the language have to do with it? It should be your editor that has theme options regardless of language.
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
USER INFO »

I kind of like this one. Really, FlashDevelop only has 4 themes and 2 of them completely suck. The other 2 are this one and the one I have been using forever. I can't use bright backgrounds for the amount of time I spend programming. They burn my eyeballs out of my head.
Unread 12-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MadGypsy View Post
What does the language have to do with it? It should be your editor that has theme options regardless of language.
Yeah, I'm probably a poor example ... so I would write off my preferences as possibly unusual but actually for a C programmer I suspect they are quite normal ...

Anyway here goes ...

editor
Editor? *snicker*

Maybe 3/4 of the time I don't use editor.

editor options
I couldn't tell you what to click to find those in Visual Studio or even what the options would be. I've never once looked in any IDE.

Some of the time, I am more likely to write the code on piece of paper or quickly type it in some random text editor.

/Anyway, I'm probably a very bad example. I'm not guy who needs or wants editor to help me. And probably should exit the thread, before I accidentally blurt out my opinion of programmers that need hand-holding editor ...

/Close call ... Baker distracts and suddenly disappears.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 12-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Dutch has a spectacular aura aboutDutch has a spectacular aura about
Ok, I'll participate.

Like I said in the PM, my setup sucks, cause it's not really a setup at all. I hate changing things sometimes, even for the better...you know that saying "victim of changes"? I'm the also the victim of not-changing.

Dammit, now the Judas Priest song is stuck in my head.

Unread 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Code Monkey
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: R00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura aboutR00k has a spectacular aura about
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to R00k Send a message via MSN to R00k
I use UltraEdit 9 for quakeC, it's old but i'm used to it...

Unread 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
USER INFO »
I like that @ rook. Clean, simple and dark.

@dutch - I couldn't imagine programming with absolutely zero syntax hilighting.

~deleted my OT posts since people are participating

Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-07-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Unread 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Hellmoc is on a distinguished road
Haven't messed with QuakeC yet (I'm hoping to get to it at some point) but for php python and javascript I use Geany. My favorite IDE and completely free and open-source.

Unread 12-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Dutch has a spectacular aura aboutDutch has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by R00k View Post
I use UltraEdit 9 for quakeC, it's old but i'm used to it...

I'm a big fan of this. Gonna check it out. I like the darker backgrounds. Like gypsy said, it's easier on the eyes after a couple hours.