on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 341
3 members and 338 guests
silverjoel
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Media > Quaketastic Screens Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
I have some more ideas for my little app. When I get home I'll start including them. I'm probably just wasting time on something that is already good enough but, I have other finished mini-projects that could be included in this pretty easily. Making it all one thing is more an inclusion process than anything.

One thing I think this definitely needs is some small unobtrusive progress bar. Sometimes images take longer than I like to DL and it makes it seem like the app froze. Since this is entirely based on the quality of your connection and not every connection is a fast one, a progress bar is pretty much a given.

Another reason I want to include more is the simple fact that this whole thing could be done in JavaScript and eliminate the need to download anything. I want to at least make it to where you can't just sit down for 1 hour and completely obsolete this with a browser version.

Why didn't I just make a browser version to begin with?

HTML, JavaScript & CSS plus frameworks to make it easier and universally accepted by all major browsers

Vs

AS3...and that's it

Too much dumb shit the browser way. Not to mention that due to how I am doing this JavaScript will probably complain about a lack of a cross domain policy so, I would probably have to add PHP to the list of languages in order to get around the sandbox. I'm not trying to turn my 1 class into the equivalent of a WordPress plugin

Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-18-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Unread 06-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MadGypsy View Post
However if you know of another image directory like the quaketastic one and give me the link I will consider adding a little textbox that allows you to define other directories.
I can't think of any at the moment but if I come across one I'll let you know. Thanks anyway.
Unread 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
@bfg

Is there something else you would like it to do within the realm of what it is?

I intend to put one more night of work into it. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Drawing on the image is out of the question, though. That would require way too much work just to make it at least as crappy as MSPaint.
Unread 06-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Umm nope, nothing comes to mind except my previous question, but I'm not gonna ask you to rewrite the whole thing...
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
USER INFO »
A few new features added. The original post has been updated.
Unread 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Originally Posted by MadGypsy View Post
[*]GIF images will not animate. I used the stock flash loader which does not support gif animation.
So we can't really view gifs, then...
Unread 06-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
USER INFO »
More new features and polish.The original post has been updated with all information.

new features:
images have a smooth tween transition
screen saver mode added - transition between library images at fullscreen (10s intervals)
mouseout list auto hides list
mouseover list auto shows list and fades image for list legibility
saved images are uploaded to the library to optimize download requests
if any images exist in the images directory a random one is displayed upon app execution
(inherent) any png|jpg|jpeg|gif image can be placed in the images directory to be used with screen saver mode

developer features
all code has been completely reconsidered and a compact reusable system was created in place of the "at-least-it-works" spaghetti version that existed til this point.

Thoughts:

At this point I would say this app is basically a way for you to choose and save images from the quaketastic screen_shots/ directory in order to make a quick custom screen saver slideshow. Of course it also allows you to simply view/save images from that directory in a way that isn't cumbersome but, I would lean more towards the entire point being a screen saver. Once you have downloaded all the images you like, at any point you could simply start the app and press S to initiate your custom screen saver.

this image was captured as one image is fading out and the next is fading in. The transitions are very smooth. They happen simultaneously with a strong easing.

@So we can't really view gifs, then...

I didn't write my gif parser in AS3 and I probably never will. The stock flash.display.Loader class does not support animation of gifs. If I find an already created animated gif parser for AS3 I'll check it out. If it doesn't suck and isn't cumbersome I'll wire it into my app.

When this was a haxe project it didn't do animated gifs either but, that was because my content manager is way too powerful for an app like this so, instead of using it I just wrote a quickie image loader using openfl.display.Loader (which is the same damn thing as flash.display.Loader). I didn't feel like going through all the trouble it would have taken to strip my content manager down to just images and text.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-20-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Unread 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
@If it doesn't suck and isn't cumbersome I'll wire it into my app.

It would be cool.

@I didn't feel like going through all the trouble it would have taken to strip my content manager down to just images and text.

Yeah, not worth it for only one site. If this app was intended to be universal there could be a point to that but not as it is.
Unread 06-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
USER INFO »
I just had the most awesome idea to add to this. This is going to take me some time. Maybe I will finish today and maybe I won't cause, this is some seriously complicated shit but, when I am done it will be awesome. Seriously, this is what this needs to go from "eh whatever...it's a thing" to "ooooh fancy".

::cracks knuckles...brews coffee::

I literally need to start a new side project to work with this and bring it into QuaketasticScreens when it's complete. It would be too cumbersome/messy to do it any other way. Be back eventually...probably not today...but I will try.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-20-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Unread 06-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Heh, got me teased. Wonder what your idea is...