on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 347
2 members and 345 guests
davebeats83
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Other Games > pokemon go splat Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 09-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ogre
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: H1CC is on a distinguished road
Currently: Offline
So, are we blaming Pokémon, or are we blaming human stupidity, here?
Sure it sucks that kids are unnecessarily dying because of this game, but I'm still not finding a consensus as to which particular aspect is the one in the wrong...
Unread 09-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Shalrath
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: DeathMaster will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure. But one thing is certain: the world is laughing at those dumb enough to walk onto a highway distracted by a Charmander.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...
Unread 09-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bfg666 will become famous soon enough
You gotta love that thread title! A game can't be held responsible for the stupidity of its users. This is the same shit all over again that happened with Black Sabbath records back in the day or with Nirvana after Columbine.

As for little kids who don't know better, isn't it the parents' job to watch them?
Unread 09-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: JDSTONE will become famous soon enough
i dont think the game is to blame. its technology if it is good or bad depends on the user. i don't recall nirvana taking the blame for columbine. i recall Marlin Manson getting a lot of the blame. but in the end the one at fault was the kid who pulled the trigger. but cause and effect, maybe some of the school kids should not have been such dicks.

judas priest took a lot of heat when some kid killed him self with this song on repeat. they were taken to court and the line that won the trial was "if we told your kid to mow the lawn would they do it?" or something like that.

Unread 09-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Shalrath
USER INFO »
I remember some of the other shit they blamed for Columbine, I think the main ones were Doom, Mortal Kombat, Marilyn Manson, NIN (specifically the Downward Spiral), and Natural Born Killers. In reality the only thing we can truly blame is the man pulling the trigger and the events that led him there. Situations like these are evidence that we're obsessive about finding a scapegoat rather than having the perpetrator and/or victim accept responsibility for their actions.

Unread 09-12-2016, 01:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Nirvana & Columbine

I seem to remember them taking the blame because one of their albums was found in the player of one of the shooters. But then again, I may have mixed things up because of the Gus Van Sant movies Elephant and Last Days - good movies BTW. I don't have a very good memory.

@JDSTONE I knew about the Judas Priest thing but I wasn't aware of that particular detail regarding the trial.
Unread 09-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Focalor will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I remember back in the day that folks like Frank Zappa and Rob Halford from Judas Priest (and several others from the music industry) teamed up to testify before congress in protest of the PMRC, headed by Tipper Gore, and their proposal that the music industry should start slapping warning labels on records with violent, sexual, and satanic lyrics. And kinda unfortunately, their efforts were all for naught because a few years later record companies started putting those all too familiar black and white "Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics" labels on album fronts. In the beginning, it might've helped a few artists sell a few more albums because the record buying public probably thought it was cool to listen to something labelled so "taboo". But in the long run, it probably hurt more than it helped in artists album sales because a few retailers (like WalMart for example) refused to stock anything with warning labels or sell any albums with warning labels to anyone under 17 or without ID proving their age.
Unread 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Yeah, Sonic Youth were pretty riled up against the PMRC too, they even made a song about Tipper Gore (on the Goo album, if I remember correctly). Funny, I've only learned recently that she was Al Gore's wife. One has to wonder how a man who defines himself as a progressist could marry such an uptight c*nt...
Unread 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Shalrath
USER INFO »
That's human nature for ya. Anything foreign or provocative? Burn it. Doesn't matter though: the explicit stuff is always sought out for being the good stuff.

Unread 09-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fire Shambler
USER INFO »
Fuck yeah, explicit is the shit! What I love is when artists play with offensive titles to spite these shit-for-brains while the art itself has nothing to do with that. Tool's Hooker With a Penis is a prime example.

Edit: Interesting... I can type "fuck" but not "c*nt". Is the latter supposed to be more rude or something in english?