Visit QuakeOne.com On Facebook!Visit QuakeOne
on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 396
13 members and 383 guests
303, Adam, Blood Vengeance, Bloodshot, Bloughsburgh, daeel, Focalor, hgdagon, lennox, MissBubbles, nahuel, Tea Monster
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Other Games > HEXEN II community work and discussion Search Forums

View Poll Results: What Engine is better to play Hexen II ?
Hammer of Thyrion 2 11.11%
FTEqw 5 27.78%
JSHexen2 8 44.44%
UQE 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #1001 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: talisa is a jewel in the roughtalisa is a jewel in the roughtalisa is a jewel in the rough
Currently: Offline
cant you use bsp2 for the map, cuz i thought i read somewhere FTE supports BSP2?
and i know FTE supports hexen2, i use it for hexen2 myself

so if you could do the map as bsp2 couldnt you keep it a hexen2 map specially for FTE?
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #1002 (permalink)
Enforcer Commander
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: hgdagon is on a distinguished road
Currently: Online
I have some questions and if it's not the right place to ask, I'm sorry.
I've had some haxen/heretic 1-2 stuf on my hdd, but but I wasn't planning to touch until having made a quake compilations, but I actually did touch them yesterday and here's what I understood
1.Hammer of Thyron is direct recompilation of hexen II that make it compatible with new os and/or new processors and bring NOTHING new to the game
2.UQE H2 (as well as UQED3 & UQE Quake) DOES NOT RUN ON WinXP (I do have vc++2012 installed, but it keeps saying "UQE**.exe is not a win32 application")
3. jsHexen is the best source port for Hexen II and it supports new models/textures (Like DP for Quake...) (I've tried running H2 only with HoT & jsH2, UQEH2, as menrioned above, wouldn't run at all)
This is what I understood from my yesterday's first-time-peek to Henxen II, and if I'm wrong please correct me.
Still there's something more I need to know, about all 4 games
1.What good engines are there for DOOM-based games (as far as I know Heretic I & Hexen 1, if I'm not mistaken Heretic II uses Q2 engine)?. By "good" I mean one that gets rid of sprites, makes EVERITHING HD and 3D. Since I'm Doomsick I can't play Doom 1-2 on any engine other than Risen3D (Yes, not even DommsDay...) but as I found out yesterday. Risend3D won't run Heretic or Hexen....
2. New models textures for all games except for Hexen II (I have inkub0's 0.85) and engines they're compatible with
3. Everyone keeps saying that UQE is "targetting" WinXP, so it may be just me. Could you, please, list ALL the dependancies of UQE?
Once again sorry, if this is offtopic and thanks in advance.

HGDagon
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #1003 (permalink)
Drole
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Mathuzzz is on a distinguished road
KrossX posted WinXP compatible UQE Hexen 2 few posts above.

Hammer of Thyrion does support some features also. I havenīt played Hexen through HoT for a long time, but there is support for colored lightning, better texture filtering, widescreen support, better quality music support etc...
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1004 (permalink)
szo
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: szo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hgdagon View Post
1.Hammer of Thyron is direct recompilation of hexen II that make it compatible with new os and/or new processors and bring NOTHING new to the game
Since you seem to have a deep knowledge of the meaning of direct recompilation, I am sure that you arrived at your conclusions with hours of reading through the actual source code, and not by something mundane like reading the documentation such as the features list which is both part of the downloadable packages under docs/Features and also available online on the website.
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #1005 (permalink)
Enforcer Commander
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: hgdagon is on a distinguished road
Currently: Online
@szo as I said above, I only persume so....
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1006 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: golden_boy will become famous soon enoughgolden_boy will become famous soon enough
Talisa, the BSP2 toolchain doesn't support Hexen 2 (the additional hulls etc).

A real programmer would have to either add BSP2 support (and .lit support) to a Hexen 2 engine and toolchain, or Hexen 2 support to the BSP2 toolchain. I'm not a real programmer, I'm more of an artist who doubles as a hacker in a pinch.

As Spike pointed out, the added clipping hulls mean that a Hexen 2 map can hit the limits much faster than a Quake map. My experience would seem to confirm that - I hit the BSP limit in just three days and with only 1700 brushes. It took more than 10,000 brushes to hit the same limit in Quake (in RMQ).
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #1007 (permalink)
szo
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: szo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by golden_boy View Post
[...] the BSP2 toolchain doesn't support Hexen 2 (the additional hulls etc). [...] either add BSP2 support (and .lit support) to a Hexen 2 engine and toolchain, or Hexen 2 support to the BSP2 toolchain [...]
I might think about adding the so-called BSP2 support to Hammer of Thyrion, both engine side and tools side, however the spec is ill-formed to begin with and because of that there are at least two variants of it. (Adding such support t to the engine would possibly require lifting some old limits along with it, IIRC.) The lit support is already there at engine side for years (needs adding to the light tool someday, though.)
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Enforcer Commander
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: WhiteMagicRaven is on a distinguished road
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to WhiteMagicRaven Send a message via AIM to WhiteMagicRaven Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMagicRaven Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteMagicRaven
golden_boy, right now with this state of hexen2tools is bad =( but in future i hope something will be changed.
Also a short tip: you can target your map to only FTEQW and pickup your favorite format
like Half-Life BSP or Quake2 or 3 BSP.
Its interesting fact that you can play any game that FTEQW support in any map format from other games.
I like result when you can play hexen2 on counter-strike maps XD.
If you use quake1 map format for hexen2 be sure to change somehow palette to hexen2 palette.
And any way keep source code for maps, until day when hexen2tools will have ability to build these huge maps and exceed limits.

hgdagon,

"1.What good engines are there for DOOM-based games" -> as for me its gzdoom, (zandronum, zdaemon if you want play multiplayer)
"Heretic II uses Q2 engine)?." Right also map is direct quake2 format (patch if you need http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tml#post126774 )

as for 3d models i can't say anything i love sprites
HeXen II Files - under development
Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
hexen2 ftp
hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Last edited by WhiteMagicRaven; 04-20-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1009 (permalink)
FTEQW Author
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Spike has a spectacular aura aboutSpike has a spectacular aura about
szo, the differences between 2PSB and BSP2 formats are minor. you should really support only the BSP2 version. in BSP2 *all* shorts are changed to either ints or floats (mins+maxs = floats, others = int/uint). for reference, 2PSB is the same except the shorts that would become floats remain as shorts, limiting total map space but not detail.
You'd still have the whole 8-hulls-not-4 thing, so hexen2 tools+engines etc should have no reason to support the 2PSB variant.

talisa, as gb said, hexen2 maps generally require those extra hulls (the gamecode is quite explicit about which hull to use in a way that quake never supported). using the wrong sized hulls (ie: existing q1 bsp2 tools) would be too buggy.
equally he could just use a q3bsp, but that's just not hexen2 (palette+warts and all!)
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: golden_boy will become famous soon enoughgolden_boy will become famous soon enough
szo, if you make it work, I will finish the Hexen 2 version of the map and possibly write that Hexen 2 mapping tutorial.

Better tools would really help Hexen 2 a great deal.

The other stuff used in the map is: inverse square falloff formula for lights (delay 2 in Jardrup's tool), double falloff distance (wait 0.5) and local minlights to imitate skylight (delay4, I believe). Those latter ones would not be needed if there was a working sunlight feature.

Let's put one in for Hexen 2 together?