on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 363
3 members and 360 guests
Mathuzzz, vibok
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Quake Central > How easy is it to make a stand alone game using Darkplaces? Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
FTEQW Author
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Spike has a spectacular aura aboutSpike has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
I really need to add it into the apk by default or something.
iirc, I think there was some bug where FTE was getting confused over game-created and console-created pics, which meant the console-created ones were getting wiped making it kinda useless. iiuc that's already fixed, but yeah, sorry. it does need to easier either way.

regarding multitouch in FTE+csqc, each 'finger' acts like an individual mouse each with a different deviceid that gets reused only once its been released. so the csqc receives an absmove, then a keydown (k_mouse1) event, then absmove events until the finger or pen or whatever you want to call the contact point is released resulting in a final keyup (k_mouse1) event. Using this you can track multiple drag events or multiple button presses suitable for an onscreen dpad/joystick or whatever.
Unread 11-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: xaGe is on a distinguished road
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to xaGe Send a message via MSN to xaGe
For a DARKPLACES thread there sure is a lot of FTE talk.. derp derp!

FTE is fine and dandy, but yes to this:
Quake based DarkPlaces is, in my opinion, an awesome place to start game development.

@SpecialBomb you can change the application icon before you compile it or hack the exe on Winblows(ewww) which can be done in seconds, minimal effort. If you just asked me this on Discord I would of told you that. Derp!

Ok, Continue on...
Unread 11-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Dutch has a spectacular aura aboutDutch has a spectacular aura about
@darkplaces vs FTE

True, but I don't see LordHavoc in here like Spike is. That speaks volumes on what's the better engine for development...the author of FTE is always around answering questions. I'm not bagging on LH, just pointing out that when you hit a roadblock in DP, it's going to be 10x as difficult figuring it out on your own.
Unread 11-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
@dutch - no doubt. That's pretty much my entire argument. Plus, FTE is a hella advanced engine. Ive heard people say DP has more features. I don't know uf that's true and tend to belueve that it's not but, even if it is true how long before it's no longer true? Also, my opinion is that FTE is more solid. Think of all the fixes and whatnots you have to use to get DP to run mission packs and properly handle entities. It seems like a bad design was implemented and then bandaids were just piled up on top of it.

"Look at my Porsche but don't look under the hood cause, the engine came off a weed eater. It's OK though cause I pay someone to follow me and push me over bridges. You like my Porsche? Listen to that door open alarm purr. That'sa Pirsche door open alarm."

Bells + Whistles != a band.
Unread 05-17-2017, 01:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: vibok is on a distinguished road
Currently: Online
necroposting

You probably could use one of variations of Quake 1 engine to make your own games, but I see multiple problems with it.

License, it's under GPL, you'll have to share the source code of all your games. You probably should do so anyway, it will make supporting it easier.

QuakeC, it's quite limited. You probably should use Lua or something like that. Or not use scripting language at all.

Lighting is more limited than in modern engines. Everything must be precalculated (you can still do blinking light), and you can't have good flashlight. No proper shadows, only circles under the model on the ground at best. Not sure how moving platforms will be lit. If you can live without those, go ahead, overwise use source engine or unity or whatever.

Other than that, it looks quite good.

It's probably better to be used as a learning material rather than an actual engine.

Many just recomend using unity or source engine, but those are so complex, and unity is closed source in addition to that. There are many things that premade for you, but you wouldn't be able to modify your tools. This means, you can't make your enemies walk on walls or something creative like that.
Unread 05-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
No one cares if someone necroposts.

But not reading the thread and the specific conversation is rude as hell, especially if it is bumping an old thread.

None of what you posted has anything to do with the very specific line of conversation SpecialBomb laid out, which was quite specific.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...