on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 355
2 members and 353 guests
CharlieSandford
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Quake Central > Joystick Handling Code Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 02-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Currently: Offline
@ If the sensitivity was used as a divisor then a higher sensitivity setting would result in less forward speed or response to a given joystick input.

Not in the way I put it. The way I illustrated the divisor it would result in you getting to full speed at the divided amount of push on the joystick.

ex

sensitivity = 3;

1/sensitivity = amount of push to achieve full speed

so you would only have to move the joystick 33% to achieve full speed. Hence the term sensitivity. In this case it would be 300% more sensitive. This would also result in 66% of the outer circle being useless because 0 to 33% covers the full range of speed.

If your game is actually allowing you to change speed based on joystick sensitivity (ie multiplying) that is not a very good game. Imagine playing against someone that had their sensitivity at 5. How fun would that be? Joysticks are meant for navigation not configging the speed of your player regardless of the actual config or game code.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-14-2017 at 05:42 AM..
Unread 02-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
The max speed is capped by a the cl_movement_maxspeed and sv_maxspeed CVARs. At the moment I have them set to the standard 320.

I've been hacking the joystick code, so I know that the value of joy_sensitivity[forward, side, yaw] CVARs is multiplied with the joystick axis output. So in effect it works something like you said. If the sensitivity is set high enough, then the max speed will be reached before the joystic reaches full travel.

I have the sensitivity current set around 1.5, and now in the game the max speed is achieved at very close to full travel of the joystick. Maximum output from the joystick is -1 and 1. So the engine apparently multiplies the final value, the joystick output times the sensitivity setting, by about 200 to yield the game speed. I have yet to look into that code though.

Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-17-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Unread 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
My progress so far:

Graph 1 shows the original darkplaces and presumably original Quake joystick response with the deadzone set to about 0.1, which is necessary with my thrift-store joystick.

As you can see there is a nasty jump at the deadzone transition. So the first thing I did was to smooth that out as shown in graph 2. Just this makes the joystick response feel noticeably better, although for me there is still too much response for fine control in the lower range of the joystick travel.

So to get better control in the lower end of the joystick range, so I added in a non-linear transformation to the joysitck output as shown in graph 3.

The response is much better now as I put the final adjustments on the parameters of the non-linear transformation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curve-01.jpg (7.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg curve-02.jpg (7.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg curve-03.jpg (7.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-17-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Unread 02-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
That's neat stuff, bro. Keep up the good work.