Site Navigation
QuakeOne News
» Latest News
» News Archives
» QuakeOne Movies

QuakeOne Help
» File Downloads
» Quake Help
» Quake Servers

QuakeOne Community
» Forums
» Chat *new*
» Poll Booth
» Memberlist
» Member Map

Site Info
» Community Rules
» Moderator List

» Buy Quake

Visit QuakeOne.com On Facebook!Visit QuakeOne
on Facebook

Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 357
2 members and 355 guests
CharlieSandford
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Quake Central > Game Glitch Search Forums

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 02-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
Posts: 25
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Feb 2017
Currently: Offline
Game Glitch

I've built and been playing on a darkplaces engine from github for a couple of weeks now. I installed the QRP texture and normal paks, the small mods combination pak along with a few other mod paks. Everything was working fine until a coupe of days ago when monsters started show up though doors, doors started becoming transparent at times, and bodies started sticking into walls and doors.

Anybody know how I can fix that?
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
nahuel's Avatar
USER INFO »
Posts: 917
+/-  Reputation: nahuel will become famous soon enoughnahuel will become famous soon enough
Join Date: May 2011
Currently: Offline
1-download a lordhavoc build
2- if you find-scripts shaders check the shaders
__________________
the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
Posts: 25
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Feb 2017
Currently: Offline
Update:

The frame rate problem turned out to be something to do with lighting settings and just went away after I deleted all the cfg files except for SMC.cfg and set options for lighting to high.

Also I disabled the reforged.shader and the see through doors have gone away, although I still get bodies sticking into walls and doors. That's a detail with which I can live.

***

I found the reforged.shader in the scripts folder. I'm lack a clue as to how to check it.

***

Now I have a more pressing problem. After one of my new engine builds, my frame rate dropped to about 2-3 fps on the introduction map.

After that I replaced that engine with one that worked before, it had the same new low frame rate. Usually with the mods I have my frame rate only gets as low as 20fps.

Then I downloaded a prebuilt engine package and started it up in a new folder with a fresh copy of ID1 with only pak0.pak and pak1.pak. And that had the same low frame rate. More over it had all the option settings from my earlier games in a different folder.

Apparently, the prebuilt engine is reading the old state data from somewhere that I am unable to find.

The low frame rate is a game stopper. Any ideas about the frame rate issue or state data storage location. I looked in c:/user/<me>/AppData/local and it seems to lack anything relevant.

A stock copy of QuakeSpasm and Quake3 play fine. Some how all the Darkplaces engines both mine and prebuilt have gotten very unresponsive, even in console mode, the keyboard input and response is very slow. I found some DP state data being stored in a "Saved Games"Folder and deleted it. The low frame rate remains.

Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-12-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ogre
USER INFO »
Posts: 128
+/-  Reputation: enderandrew is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Jan 2017
Currently: Offline
Originally Posted by Syber Raith View Post
Update:

The frame rate problem turned out to be something to do with lighting settings and just went away after I deleted all the cfg files except for SMC.cfg and set options for lighting to high.

Also I disabled the reforged.shader and the see through doors have gone away, although I still get bodies sticking into walls and doors. That's a detail with which I can live.

***

I found the reforged.shader in the scripts folder. I'm lack a clue as to how to check it.

***

Now I have a more pressing problem. After one of my new engine builds, my frame rate dropped to about 2-3 fps on the introduction map.

After that I replaced that engine with one that worked before, it had the same new low frame rate. Usually with the mods I have my frame rate only gets as low as 20fps.

Then I downloaded a prebuilt engine package and started it up in a new folder with a fresh copy of ID1 with only pak0.pak and pak1.pak. And that had the same low frame rate. More over it had all the option settings from my earlier games in a different folder.

Apparently, the prebuilt engine is reading the old state data from somewhere that I am unable to find.

The low frame rate is a game stopper. Any ideas about the frame rate issue or state data storage location. I looked in c:/user/<me>/AppData/local and it seems to lack anything relevant.

A stock copy of QuakeSpasm and Quake3 play fine. Some how all the Darkplaces engines both mine and prebuilt have gotten very unresponsive, even in console mode, the keyboard input and response is very slow. I found some DP state data being stored in a "Saved Games"Folder and deleted it. The low frame rate remains.
If you downloaded a recent build of Darkplaces, it will store your config files/settings in your user profile, such as:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\my games\darkplaces\id1

If you want to go back to defaults, try removing config files from there.

I've never seen monsters getting stuck in walls. I'm not sure what would cause that.

There was a texture script that broke with recent builds of Darkplaces that caused white textures and might have caused your transparent doors, but there is a fixed version of it.

FWIW, I'm working on a compilation that is mostly done for ID1, Rogue and Hipnotic to make it easier for people to play with HD textures/assets/scripts.
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
Posts: 25
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Feb 2017
Currently: Offline
The doors were flickering between transparent and opaque depending on view angle. Also arms of monsters hiding behind doors would apparently stick out of said doors occasionally.

After the monsters have been killed, their heads or arms can be stuck in walls. I'll get some screen shots.

I disabled the reforged.shader by renaming it, and that eliminated the door issue. The doors are now all solid opaque, although some monsters now lack textures like the wall zombies.

I pieced my current setup together from various sources, basically SMC pak and QRP textures because even Rygel's medium Textures were too much for my little 1GB Radeon HD 5450 to handle with rtlights and high effects. My setup did work well enough though until I started hacking the engine code.

Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-13-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ogre
USER INFO »
Posts: 128
+/-  Reputation: enderandrew is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Jan 2017
Currently: Offline
The reforged.shader file should have only been assigning textures to monsters if I recall, so that may be why some monsters are missing textures now.

What other files are in your scripts folder?

If you want, I can share my compilation with you.

I wanted to finish updating Rogue-SMC and Hipnotic-SMC and doing some more testing before I release the compilations publicly, but really the ID1 one should be ready for someone to start testing now.
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
Posts: 25
+/-  Reputation: Syber Raith is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Feb 2017
Currently: Offline
Here's some screen shots of corpses sticking into walls. It happens all over. What causes that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q001.jpg (71.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Q002.jpg (56.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 03:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
MadGypsy's Avatar
USER INFO »
Posts: 4,974
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Join Date: Feb 2011
Currently: Offline
This is an easy fix, guaranteed to work. Don't kill things that are close to the wall. I understand you are probably amazed by my genius but, there is no reason to give me a bunch of credit or anything.
__________________
X_Michael
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ogre
USER INFO »
Posts: 128
+/-  Reputation: enderandrew is on a distinguished road
Join Date: Jan 2017
Currently: Offline
Originally Posted by MadGypsy View Post
This is an easy fix, guaranteed to work. Don't kill things that are close to the wall. I understand you are probably amazed by my genius but, there is no reason to give me a bunch of credit or anything.
Have you considered pacificism?
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chthon
nahuel's Avatar
USER INFO »
Posts: 917
+/-  Reputation: nahuel will become famous soon enoughnahuel will become famous soon enough
Join Date: May 2011
Currently: Offline
Originally Posted by Syber Raith View Post
Here's some screen shots of corpses sticking into walls. It happens all over. What causes that?
your question should be "how i can to fix that?"
and after you will write a per -polygon system + ragdoll for quake
__________________
the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.


eXTReMe Tracker