on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 343
3 members and 340 guests
silverjoel
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Quake Central > How did you first get started on Quake? Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 02-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: bgf0302 is on a distinguished road
Currently: Offline
How did you first get started on Quake?

While I always wanted to play Quake on my PC when it was first released, I never had the specs until years later; I did however have a really good friend who picked up Q3 for Dreamcast, and well the rest is history.

How about everyone else? #nostalgia
Unread 02-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Grim Warlock is on a distinguished road
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Grim Warlock Send a message via AIM to Grim Warlock Send a message via MSN to Grim Warlock Send a message via Yahoo to Grim Warlock Send a message via Skype™ to Grim Warlock
My brother showed me a Quake III Arena when I was around 5 in 2002 and I was hooked. I then got introduced to Quake II by my other brother when I was 6 and enjoyed playing part of the campaign. I didn't play the first Quake until I got the Ultimate Quake pack in 2006 when I was around 9, I played single player all the time and couldn't figure out how to get mods other than skins and models to work.
Unread 02-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Enforcer Commander
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: gulliver-trans will become famous soon enough
1996. Had switched from AOL free trial to CompuServe. Downloaded Qtest. Played over modem with friend. Things were exciting then.
Unread 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enforcer Commander
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: gulliver-trans will become famous soon enough
Planetnine is correct, and that was near the beginning, but I didn't think to go quite that far into it

And Planetnine was called Moridin back then, and was one of the best CTF players around. I still remember him spying from his corpse camera, to figure out where I was camping the flag base

I might not have joined DiY, but P9 and I both were in the Nox Ordo clan for at least one CTF match, though.

Good times.
Unread 03-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: vanilla is on a distinguished road
My boyfriend, in highschool, was playing it. I sat down (FIRST EVER computer game) that I was HOOKED RIGHT away.
My first clan was called FBI, which was a few kids who were younger than me, but it was fun.
Then I joined Tung clan, which was ran by Tung-Man (George Tung) and pretty much was rivals to Crow and to others but mostly crow.. they were jerks haha
I played on Mplayer (OMG memories)
I just LOVED that site. I even became a Wizard and moderated different rooms (see me hear me.com)
that was all before it turned to shit and Gamespy or whatever bought them out

omg I miss that log in sound.. and how it would load up.. damn.. memories
Unread 03-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: dumptruck_ds is on a distinguished road
I got started with Quake with Qtest. I remember the first time I connected to an IP server running around the level and chatting with a guy in Sweden. My mind was blown! But before that I was playing Doom2 on the DWANGO server in Long Beach, CA. I made a few maps for Doom but once Quake came out I was hooked on mapping and DM for good. I've made a handful of playable maps for DM under different usernames over the years and I've released one SP map so far which was part of RetroJam 6. Some Quake related highlights in no particular order starting back in 1996:
  • Going to the 2nd Quakecon ever in 1997.
  • Quakecon 2000, 2001 and 2005
  • Meeting the Hipnotic Interactive guys in 1997 while they were working on Sin.
  • Seeing Thresh win Carmack's Ferrari in person at E3 in '97 (I think that was the year?)
  • Various SoCal LAN parties back in the day including GameSpy's notorious parties.
  • Hosting my own LAN parties over the years (we used to call them Quake parties at the beginning)
  • Building two identical Pentium 166 PCs with the V1000 accelerators in them to play VQuake with my friend Darin)

So many memories. Right now I am working on a blog that highlights some of the things I listed above. I have a ton of video from the various QuakeCons and plan on doing some YouTubing soon to keep the Quake flame going for 20 more years!
Unread 03-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: wicked_lord will become famous soon enough
started on beta in 1996.
Unread 03-04-2017, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Night Gaunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Adam will become famous soon enoughAdam will become famous soon enough
Rich kid I knew had a P90 and the beta when it was released.
Same guy owned an original StarWars Arcade cabinet too...

I had a lowly 486dx2 66 at the time. I was just glad that I could run Doom in "high' mode.

Good times.

Unread 03-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
Started on the Nintendo 64 when it first came out for that. 6 years ago I googled ”make 3d games free". Google sent me here and I've been dicking around with various quake tech ever since. Except, I'm really more into contributing to Haxe at this time.
Unread 05-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Axe Man
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: RaggA is on a distinguished road
Started late 96'. Was down in local net cafe to play Red Alert with a friend. Friend didn't show up. The Quake players invited me to join their FFA game... I was instantly hooked...The rest is history.