on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 385
7 members and 378 guests
303, DeathMaster, Ebisu, NightFright, SpecialBomb, vibok
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Quake Central > Trying to compile quake Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the rough
Currently: Offline
Hello vibok,

Then you now know on which engine you should focus

Happy coding,
Seven
Unread 05-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vibok View Post
In FTE, where is the code for collision of player with walls?
You need to be able to do a text search of the code you are supposedly going to work with.

A guy who cannot do the simple task of doing a text search ...
And thinks he is going to code.

Is like a guy who can't read, thinking he is going to write a book.

And the fact you are trying to compile from the command line, suggests you have never coded in a real language before. There's nothing wrong with compiling from a command line, but that is what a user does --- not what a developer would do.

An actual developer working with C or C++ is going to use an IDE like Visual Studio (which is free by the way -- It also can also do a text search.)

By extension, this implies you have never worked with C or C++. Low-level languages are unforgiving and very difficult. Experienced developers who are pretty decent in more forgiving language like Java or such, often crash on the rocks in a language like C. C is rather code to the machine and does not work on your terms, you work on it's terms.

Then you have collision code. Collision involves 3D math (dot products, point/plane calculations, matrix calculations) and then all kinds of decision points as to how the movement has to react/rollback/block/slide/drop.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: vibok is on a distinguished road
Currently: Online
@Baker

Yeah, I could search for "colli" i guess. Wouldn't answer the question, but narrow the search field at least.

Visual Studio wouldn't install here, always some kind of errors, I don't know why it happens.

How exactly having an IDE will help me? I'm curious what features you use more often when you are trying to understand an infamiliar code.
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
Trying to compile ODE. Everything moved quite smoothly actually, all the pre-configure tasks and configure itself finished successfully.

There is one error in file ode/demo/demo_collision.cpp

https://bitbucket.org/odedevs/ode/sr...lision.cpp-621

demo_collision.cpp: In function 'int test_ray_and_box()':
demo_collision.cpp:621:5: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
int test_ray_and_box()

I'll try to look in configure options and maybe disable all demo compilation, I'm sure it's not necessary. And maybe annoy people on ode and msys forums. I wonder where msys forums are.

I'm slightly annoyed that darkplaces uses third party library instead of just having it's own physics code. It's a bit more painful to compile. I'm sure that original quake did all physics by itself.
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
It seems to work. Did ./configure --disable-demos instead of just ./configure, this line is also one of the first lines in ./configure --help. I may return to compiling darkplaces now.

This went surprisingly smoothly, I'm really happy with the result.
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
The man who sold the world
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura aboutMadGypsy has a spectacular aura about
@ - "And the fact you are trying to compile from the command line, suggests you have never coded in a real language before. There's nothing wrong with compiling from a command line, but that is what a user does --- not what a developer would do."

It's really pretty dependant on language and platform. I could give numerous examples either way. Actually, one example might be the most powerful one. In HaXe, you can use either method and there are reasons why you may choose one or the other but, regardless of chosen HaXe port and regardless of what you use to start the compilation, haxe uses the command line for transpiling and compiling. Clicking "build" in my IDE is little more than a command line trigger, not unlike the build menu in radiant.

HaXe ports to all C's and according to what I said above it compiles via command line... quite successfully. Considering HaXe will literally DL, install and configure msvc2010 for you, I assume command line compiling is little more than a way to compile without a whole nother IDE booting up every time you click build.

-----

On a side note, I have been very quiet about HaXe and my projects over the last couple months. I have very complex things in the works and eventually I will share them. Away3D got a complete overhaul and now it not only has a more platform considered 3D suite but it also has a vulkan renderer. I don't have any limitations. Before, I was stuck with the most low-ball opengl that would work on everything. This is no longer the case. All possibilities have been "unlocked". My completed engine will easily be as powerful as FTE from a rendering perspective and it is entirely up to me to make it as powerful in other ways. In other words, there is nothing stopping me beyond my own knowledge. The only thing I foresee a great lacking in at this point is my completely ZERO understanding/knowledge of networks. I can change that. I simply have a fuck load of reading to do eventually.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-19-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Unread 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
darkplaces compiled! I expected much more problem that I got! Thanks to the guy who recomended msys2 to me, I was preparing to rewrite makefiles by hand.

Next step will be trying to understand something in it, maybe I'll create a new thread for that.

@MadGypsy
Anything I can help with? Just say if you need something, don't expect too much though, I'm far from a pro.

I don't really care about network that much, I'm more into single player games. Maybe it will become important, but much later, for me. The simplier - the better. I'm looking at game engine sources just to find examples of good programming, to not invent my own naming conventions and the like, and to find a good way to organize everything.

I heard about HaXe before, when I was searching for a way to make swf files. Never really got into it though. So it can compile c code? It's probably not the prettiest one, is it?
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Baker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura aboutBaker has a spectacular aura about
MadGypsy could explain to you how collision is difficult. He knows first hand

He could also explain to you why he uses an IDE and why.

/I leave you two alone.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Unread 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knight
USER INFO »
Well, I have an idea how collision of circle and line can be calculated, so collision of capsule and planes shouldn't be much more complicated.

I'll try to get ide running, but it will be problematic. A good call graph, or something else representing control flow would be of more use.
Unread 05-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zop
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Zop will become famous soon enough
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Zop Send a message via AIM to Zop
One thing you may have to give time to understand is Quake's brush/surface system. I avoid working on it, so I have only cursory knowledge which is incomplete.

You may eventually learn how to detect if a noninfinite plane is intersecting another, but the planes are stored in a tree format (for the sake of optimizing) from the map's .bsp file. Here's a writeup about it: Quake Specs v3.4 I see a section on clip nodes which describes collision.

I think player/monster collision is done in world.c starting with a function called "SV_Move".