on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 357
2 members and 355 guests
303, UNR3AL S0LDI3R
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forums > Quake Talk > Single Player > An Episode 3 themed map Search Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 02-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #51 (permalink)
Shambler
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: ArrrCee will become famous soon enoughArrrCee will become famous soon enough
Currently: Offline
Looking forward to the next one! Nice work! =)
Unread 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Ogre
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Johnny Law will become famous soon enough
You should think about getting the final version of Unholy Ossuary uploaded to Quaddicted... that's where (eventually) most people will be able to discover and play it.

If you post a link to the zipfile over on your thread on func_msgboard, and ask about getting it to Quaddicted, that should help the process along.
Unread 03-11-2017, 01:32 AM   #53 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MissBubbles is on a distinguished road
Boop Boop new map. Sorry about the inactivity for a bit!

Dive into the Well of Lost Souls and see the twisted past of these tormented beings come back to life...

Download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...DVtcExMQUdmcTQ

Check out the readme for more information/how to launch.

I set aside work on my Runic maps for a while to scratch an itch I had with this Episode 4 themed map. Once again, I have gone for a classic " Quake the way id did " style, with strong influences from Sandy Petersen's visual and gameplay designs. According to the feedback I've gotten so far, this one is " effin' hard " lol. It may be a bit easier now that I've tweaked a few things, but I'll let you all be the judge. Feedback is welcome as always!

I've been spending a lot of time staring at runic textures and it's starting to get on my nerves a bit, so this was a nice change of pace to work on. I've actually been thinking about doing something along the lines of a condensed Quake map pack, possibly featuring bite sized episodes with about 2-3 maps based on their respective themes. I don't want to get ahead of myself or be overly ambitious, so we'll see how things go. This sounds appealing to me though because I can tackle different themes instead of having to create runic maps until my eyes bleed. In the mean time, I'll keep the maps coming when I can!

Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
You should think about getting the final version of Unholy Ossuary uploaded to Quaddicted... that's where (eventually) most people will be able to discover and play it.

If you post a link to the zipfile over on your thread on func_msgboard, and ask about getting it to Quaddicted, that should help the process along.
Definitely! I would love to get my maps up on Quaddicted at some point, but I don't know if I should clutter things up with single releases when I would ideally like to put out a map pack/episode at some point. For now, I'm happy to post my maps here and get feedback from you guys to help polish them up into better shape until I feel that they are good and ready.
Unread 03-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #54 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Dutch has a spectacular aura aboutDutch has a spectacular aura about
Just played through on Hard, another fantastic map!

Pros:
* Very well balanced, just the right amount of ammo.
* Excellent monster placement. The ambushes were awesome, especially the second shambler emerging from the shadows and the fiend in the dark hallway. Also the last 2 fiends, you set a delay time on their teleport which was awesome. I thought I was home free when I dropped down from the sky room.
* The atmosphere was spot-on to an episode 4 map, and it looked a lot better than the originals. I can tell you drew elements from E4M2, and it had some pain maze and nameless city vibes as well.

Cons:
* Really, not any. There were a couple places I might have added a few more detail brushes, but I only mention this at all because I can't think of anything else to say.

Don't be afraid to make a new thread and promote this map with your pictures and info. I'll double-post this in the new thread if you do make one. People around here latch on to new threads and lose interest in the old ones after a while...not everyone may be aware you've released this map. And new developments are sorely lacking on this site lately...it's gotten pretty slow.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I love the map name too.

Originally Posted by MissBubbles
Definitely! I would love to get my maps up on Quaddicted at some point, but I don't know if I should clutter things up with single releases when I would ideally like to put out a map pack/episode at some point. For now, I'm happy to post my maps here and get feedback from you guys to help polish them up into better shape until I feel that they are good and ready.

I agree with this 100%
Unread 03-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #55 (permalink)
Grunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: MissBubbles is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Just played through on Hard, another fantastic map!

Pros:
* Very well balanced, just the right amount of ammo.
* Excellent monster placement. The ambushes were awesome, especially the second shambler emerging from the shadows and the fiend in the dark hallway. Also the last 2 fiends, you set a delay time on their teleport which was awesome. I thought I was home free when I dropped down from the sky room.
* The atmosphere was spot-on to an episode 4 map, and it looked a lot better than the originals. I can tell you drew elements from E4M2, and it had some pain maze and nameless city vibes as well.

Cons:
* Really, not any. There were a couple places I might have added a few more detail brushes, but I only mention this at all because I can't think of anything else to say.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I love the map name too.
Thanks Dutch! I'm glad to hear you liked it

I appreciate the comment about the map looking better than the original it was based on. I myself thought it looked pretty bare, however this is somewhat intended due to Sandy's maps having a bit of architectural simplicity to them. I think part of this reason the visuals work though is the lighting hides a lot of the shortcomings in the details. There are, as you mentioned, some areas that are far emptier than others ( like the exit room for example ) but even then this is in reference to some of the rooms that Sandy made which look quite boxy and plain.

Honestly I'm a bit obsessed with the original mapping styles each designer had to the point that I find even the flaws make the maps charming in a way.

Anyway, visuals aside, this map was actually a bit rushed, and completed in under a week. I'm prepared to change up the gameplay if need be depending on what other players may think of it. It seems like you liked it though so that makes me happy!

Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Don't be afraid to make a new thread and promote this map with your pictures and info. I'll double-post this in the new thread if you do make one. People around here latch on to new threads and lose interest in the old ones after a while...not everyone may be aware you've released this map. And new developments are sorely lacking on this site lately...it's gotten pretty slow.
I wasn't sure what the rules are regarding this. I didn't want to spam the forums each time I come out with a new map - but if you think that this is fine, and will garner more attention, then I'll go ahead and do that in the morning.

Thanks again for playing it!
Unread 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #56 (permalink)
Chthon
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Seven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the roughSeven is a jewel in the rough
Hello MissBubbles,

Great to see that you did another map !
I have read that you already work on a 3rd map (in Episode 2 universe) .
Really looking forward to your next releases.

Please keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Seven